Comparative analysis - How bad is the Bombers OL?

Our line is solid..not done developing into a cohesive unit by any stretch but when greaves gets back, I imagine the gelling won't be far off.. With Wylie in the fold, I'd expect we would be hopeful to grade out near top 3 but as many have surmised, 4-6 is probably the best we can expect with being on the higher end of the middlin' group.. Wonder how long we have Wylie for? If it's 2 or more seasons, I really like where our line could be in a few years..

I think we have him for as long as he wants to stay. I was at the Bombers website the other day and noticed they are listing him as a coach now. 

Watching final drive and the O-line played really well. Everytime they got to Willy they sent one more guys than we had blockers. It was usually 7 guys coming. He made quick decisions got the ball out. The one where he gets hit as he throws the ball it was against 7 rushers if Tisdale does not hold Moore it's a TD. The touchdown they only brought 4 guys and he had time and made the pay also happened the 1-2 times they did not bring extra pressure.

Its hard to find quality NFL guard cast-offs anymore. Remember there's 32 teams in the NFL. Each has two starters, 1 dressed backup and probably 1 or 2 on their reserve/developmental list. At 5 per team thats 160 men playing the guard spot before you get to castoffs. That means the best cast-off might be the 150th to 161st best import for the position of pro guard. Not very inspiring.  Especially when you consider that some of the so-called NFL starting guards are getting ravaged on a regular basis. 

So much more to it than just sacks.

Holding penalties, QB hurries, how they're performing in the run game, etc.

I'd say just based purely on watching the games, we're middle of the pack. I'm sure if you looked in depth at all the numbers, we'd grade out similarly.

Yes obviously there's more to it than just sacks given up when evaluating an OL, but this gives a pretty good indication of a teams ability to protect the QB. And obviously a QB with a quick release and a mobile QB will make an OL look better too.

The Bombers OL gets a lot of bad press, when in reality it's middle of the pack...other teams give up sacks too.

Very true. One of our members, TBieber, has taken to timing the seconds from snap to QB release during some games this year. I wonder if he'd have the results saved to share here.

Admittedly, I did that to help build my case against Zach Collaros at first, so I haven't done it for all games.

I will time out Willy tomorrow though and post results.

Danny McManus was barely touched for six years in a seven year period from 1998 to 2004 in Hamilton, with a large part of that being due to his quick release and quick decisions.

Of course, he also threw a lot of interceptions because of it, with five of those seasons having thrown more picks than sacks taken.

Masoli has a quick release, so I would expect Hamilton to develop a short to mid package for him to pass out of, because he is quite inaccurate on mid to long range tosses.

Are there any stats that breakdown the circumstances of sacks? It would be interesting to know how many sacks were actually due to the oline and how many were due to other positions not making a play (ie a coverage sack, a RB misses a block on the blitz, etc).

I don't even think I have seen something like that in all the NFL stats I follow or look at... a likely reason being that it would be opinion. A coverage sack, for example could simply be a QB not making his reads. In the CFL with our limited camera angles, it would also make that difficult.

NFL.com you can watch coaches film. It is sweet.

I think the bigger concern is their lack of depth. Greaves being injured forced the ratio to 3 Imp OL, playing an import guard is not the best way to utilize the ratio. Not sure what the scenario is if another OL goes down.

Speaking of depth, coincidentally I had a business meeting today where it was mentioned (yet again) that I was a hard core Blue Bomber fan in which I then was introduced to the father of Gord Hinse who said his son was signed by the Blue Bombers. The father did mention his son is having issues with his shoulder but close to being in game shape.

Does anyone know if that's been confirmed yet? I haven't seen it reported anywhere or is this old news.   

I think the bigger concern is their lack of depth. Greaves being injured forced the ratio to 3 Imp OL, playing an import guard is not the best way to utilize the ratio. Not sure what the scenario is if another OL goes down.

But we won and the D where 2 of those spots were changed up, Sherman at LB, Sears at safety looked pretty good doing it. Yeah starting 3 IMP is not the way to go but.. It's not like it hurt us that much. If at all really. 3-0. 1-0 without greaves vs a good Montreal D, a very good Montreal D.... One of the best in the league really, the best?? Not too shabby 

Speaking of depth, coincidentally I had a business meeting today where it was mentioned (yet again) that I was a hard core Blue Bomber fan in which I then was introduced to the father of Gord Hinse who said his son was signed by the Blue Bombers. The father did mention his son is having issues with his shoulder but close to being in game shape.

Does anyone know if that's been confirmed yet? I haven't seen it reported anywhere or is this old news.

Very old news. Bombers picked up Gord Hinse a few weeks ago after Edmonton released him, and placed him on the 6 game IR. He's eligible to start practicing in a week.

I want to say middle of the pack, not Toronto, Saskatchewan or Calgary but not BC or Hamilton.

Are you referring to oline play this season or last season? Just asking because Toronto's oline hasn't looked as good as last season so far.

Toronto's OL has been good relative to the rest of the league.  Teams will get pressure when they send one more than the blockers available, and that's a staple of Nelson's scheme.  The important thing is to pass protect from the inside out, which IMO watching the game tonight they did pretty well, making a pocket for Ray.

Also doesn't help when the offence doesn't run the ball at all.

When you rush more defenders than you have blockers you can't blame it on the oline but when they are only rushing 4 or 3 and still owning you, it's the olines fault. Montreal was sending the house, Edmonton wasn't. Edmonton's front 4 was just too good for our starting 5, but this shouldn't have come as a surprise to the Bomber coaches should it? I'd take Chris Jones traditional 43 defence over anyone else in the league, he's the best and it showed.

• 2 weeks later...