2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Not so much, they had Nevis for at least 2 years prior and Poop Johnson had one good year before Stove came along.

Had and lost most of those guys. Bryant as well. Hence burning through them. I believe Nevis was banged up early that camp as well we air lifted dl a couple times. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Yeah, it’s honestly quite frustrating. The established guys apparently don’t need reps. The new guys all lumped into a massive group not getting enough reps. Nowhere near enough information on anyone.

This is why I miss 4 pre season games. Vets & rooks would see more reps in practice & games. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I not sure why we dont do a conrrolled blue and gold game as well...actually get extra looks in a game situ...stupid we dont

Or a controlled scrimmage with another CFL team to get even more reps. Teams don't want to spend money. 

14 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think they should expand the rookie camp to 7-10 days and expand the roster size by 20 for that.  Have a significant cut down when vets report and then have a cut down between the two exhibition games.

Money. Teams can't (league won't let them with the management & admin cap) or just refuse to spend the $$$ if they can. Thewr's lots of tghings they could do but aren't since the pandemic.

43 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Money. Teams can't (league won't let them with the management & admin cap) or just refuse to spend the $$$ if they can. Thewr's lots of tghings they could do but aren't since the pandemic.

Don't think it's an issue.  There's been over 50 cuts and replacements across the league since they started camps.

They are paying costs to bring guys here, send them home, bring in next guy.

Bring them all in for a week ahead of main camp.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think they should expand the rookie camp to 7-10 days and expand the roster size by 20 for that.  Have a significant cut down when vets report and then have a cut down between the two exhibition games.

That would be a great change. I think adjusting the amount of injured roster guys you can have would be good too. If teams want to over do it and hurt their own ability to handle camps it’s on them. 
 Id say let players 1-2 years service or less be on a short term ir, can’t practice but can be at team meetings be practice too. Vets don’t need that stuff as much. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Or a controlled scrimmage with another CFL team to get even more reps. Teams don't want to spend money. 

I like the idea, but the team travel cost as pointed out would be bad and bad blood especially with a few certain teams would be an issue imo. 

I would add a full padded contact practice for teams to have a real scrimmage game as well. Not a full game, maybe like 8 possessions or one half timed. 

4 games of pre season is way too much trash football. And it puts guys at a greater risk of injury in meaningless action. 2 games isn’t enough with the low impact nature of practice and tc now. 

37 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That would be a great change. I think adjusting the amount of injured roster guys you can have would be good too. If teams want to over do it and hurt their own ability to handle camps it’s on them. 
 Id say let players 1-2 years service or less be on a short term ir, can’t practice but can be at team meetings be practice too. Vets don’t need that stuff as much. 

I like the idea, but the team travel cost as pointed out would be bad and bad blood especially with a few certain teams would be an issue imo. 

I would add a full padded contact practice for teams to have a real scrimmage game as well. Not a full game, maybe like 8 possessions or one half timed. 

4 games of pre season is way too much trash football. And it puts guys at a greater risk of injury in meaningless action. 2 games isn’t enough with the low impact nature of practice and tc now. 

Somebody on the Riders forum suggested extending exhibition games to 5 or 6 Q's, I think this would be a reasonable way to give new players extra playing time without adding travel costs or much extra expense.  Add another intermission after 60 minutes and play again for an extra 30 minutes.  No single player needs to play more than 30 mins. so it should be manageable from a personnel perspective.  As for the fans in attendance as long as they realize it's a casual affair they can come and go as they wish.

20 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Somebody on the Riders forum suggested extending exhibition games to 5 or 6 Q's, I think this would be a reasonable way to give new players extra playing time without adding travel costs or much extra expense.  Add another intermission after 60 minutes and play again for an extra 30 minutes.  No single player needs to play more than 30 mins. so it should be manageable from a personnel perspective.  As for the fans in attendance as long as they realize it's a casual affair they can come and go as they wish.

I don’t know the medical science behind why this may or may not have some injury risk issues tied to it, but if it doesn’t, it seems like a really good idea

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don’t know the medical science behind why this may or may not have some injury risk issues tied to it, but if it doesn’t, it seems like a really good idea

Yeah I don’t think longer games would be better at all. If any thing I’d rather see shorter pre season games and more of them. 

Go 6 10 minute I suppose it wouldn’t be quarters anymore tho in pre season. 

6 10 minute periods? 

couldn’t be called quarters since 15 minutes is a quarter of an hour so yeah that’s no good English. 

intersquad would be cool maybe for the first week. Maybe riders practice here also for a week right cuz logistics wouldn’t work for intersquad games. Toronto Hamilton could pull it off tho. Montreal Ottawa could. The rest of us gotta fly. 

perhaps have a team of fans play. Or the bisons. But then there’s other issues there. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

I'd just go with clock stops after each whistle...restarts at the snap....but 20 second clock stays in effect

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I'd just go with clock stops after each whistle...restarts at the snap....but 20 second clock stays in effect

Those games would take forever to play, wouldn’t they? Isn’t the average NFL game actually only 11 minutes of live game clock action for a 3.5 hour telecast?  I’m with WBBfan, more pre-season games, not longer games. 3 minimum with a neutral site game, or 4 (having said that I remember how by the 4th pre-season game back in the 1980’s people were ready to see the real stuff, and the last game was essentially all starters anyway). But I agree that there aren’t enough reps for the new guys who come in looking to take a job, so any change is worth looking into. 

I think they could also change time keeping like Booch is saying to accomplish a better pre season. 
 If instead of 2-3 quarters they play the second half with only injury stops of the time and a few other tweaks you could half the time the second half takes. And that’s always the worst quality football. 
 It’d be a bit on the wild side, but they could play a half of regular football then do an ot shoot out, or you could play a quarter then an ot then a quarter. 2 fast games and a full pad / contact half game scrimmage would be good imo. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Go 6 10 minute I suppose it wouldn’t be quarters anymore tho in pre season. 

6 10 minute periods? 

couldn’t be called quarters since 15 minutes is a quarter of an hour so yeah that’s no good English. 

They would still be quarters.  Each one is still 25% (one quarter) of the overall time, regardless if that's an hour or 40 minutes.

33 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think they could also change time keeping like Booch is saying to accomplish a better pre season. 
 If instead of 2-3 quarters they play the second half with only injury stops of the time and a few other tweaks you could half the time the second half takes. And that’s always the worst quality football. 
 It’d be a bit on the wild side, but they could play a half of regular football then do an ot shoot out, or you could play a quarter then an ot then a quarter. 2 fast games and a full pad / contact half game scrimmage would be good imo. 

I think Booch’s idea is a neat twist, maybe with a 20-30 minute run time instead of 60. If we could eliminate game delays like commercial breaks that would keep the length more reasonable, but the TV and radio folks would never sign off on that, the league isn’t going to run those game at a financial loss. Not sure what the answer is, but some nice outside the box thinking here to create a more useful pre-season. 

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That's why they're keeping so many guys around, I guess. Every gets a chance to show their stuff.

The one thing MOS did say about the receivers, is that everyone is having good and bad moments. Just waiting for someone to take the job.