Free Agency Day - Non-Bombers CFL News

Just now, GCn20 said:

2 days ago Jim Barker stated on the Rod Pederson show that the Bombers were this year's big winner in FA. I actually really value Barkers opinion, guy knows his stuff.

...yeah and I believe he started his comments with the Streve signing....and he's right

19 minutes ago, Stickem said:

...yeah and I believe he started his comments with the Streve signing....and he's right

Barker had some really interesting comments on that show. Alluded to teams using "promo" money to circumvent the cap. Not sure how or what this means?

Stated that he thinks Strev is a big upgrade over Brown.

Stated he thought Yoshi wasn't all that great last year and not as big a loss to the Bombers as what many think.

Just some real gold in that interview from a guy who knows this league inside and out.

It's on YouTube if you Google rod pederson Jim Barker. If people have 20 mins I recommend it.

Edited by GCn20

19 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Ford is also coming North and will hopefully factor in right away, and we have an extra 2nd round pick in our back pocket... things are going well for sure

Ford is still not listed on the roster for some reason, although Holm was never removed, did Walters mention anything about him in his press conference?

13 hours ago, Mike said:

You can sense the market reset coming on receivers. I’m thinking they’ll be able to keep Kenny and Schoen in 2025 for less than they’re making right now. 

Even if they both light it up this year and help us win the GC? (I know that's the perfect outcome).

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Barker had some really interesting comments on that show. Alluded to teams using "promo" money to circumvent the cap. Not sure how or what this means?

Stated that he thinks Strev is a big upgrade over Brown.

Stated he thought Yoshi wasn't all that great last year and not as big a loss to the Bombers as what many think.

Just some real gold in that interview from a guy who knows this league inside and out.

It's on YouTube if you Google rod pederson Jim Barker. If people have 20 mins I recommend it.

Gonna have to check that out! tossing the link here to watch later and In case any one else wants to see it  

Edited by wbbfan

26 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Even if they both light it up this year and help us win the GC? (I know that's the perfect outcome).

Lawler's contract will expire at the end of this season, he was scheduled to make $310k but restructured down to $285k which included a $150k signing bonus, Eugene Lewis is also on an expiring contract paying him $320k this season.  The market will determine the price point next season, most teams have shown they are not willing to spend $250k on a single receiver under the current Cap. 

46 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Lawler will be on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a deal that was signed in a time prior to teams becoming more accepting of the belief that paying receivers that much money doesn’t make you succeed. Doesn’t matter how well he plays this year. He hit the max he’s ever gonna make

38 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Gonna have to check that out! tossing the link here to watch later and In case any one else wants to see it  

Thanks. I am not phone savvy enuff to do it.

33 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think lawler will come down further after that year unless he has some crazy season, and then dalton will go up on his next deal. Imo 225-250k is going to be the new/old top end for imp wrs. 

Lawler will need an 18 game season to cash in again.

29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Thanks. I am not phone savvy enuff to do it.

Lawler will need an 18 game season to cash in again.

Yeah. If lawler players 18 like he did the first 6 ish back he might put up some crazy numbers and maybe he gets one more good size deal, not 300k but it’s possible he gets a couple years at a schoen Esq money. 
 Next year is lawlers big shot. He got a late start and has all the talent in the world. Year after next any thing could happen. If he comes in pissed and motivated like last year he could push for an 1800 type year. 

23 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

The team also doesnt have receiver Ronnie Blackmon listed but he re-signed with the club back on Dec 7th.

Roster won’t likely be updated for a couple more weeks. Then after that it’ll be more regularly done. 

10 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

IDK, I'm still holding a grudge against him from when he called the city of Winnipeg a shithole.

yeah he’s said and done some real dumb things in the past. I don’t think he’s cut out to be a panelist on tv. Maybe a segment guy on game days. I wouldn’t take him in any position with the bombers. 

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Somewhat of a conundrum. It's a passing league but most fall/playoff games are won on the ground.

I don't agree. The GC is finished by mid November. The weather isn't as cold as it used to be. Teams can still pass the ball without having to to rely on a grinding ground game on a frozen field anymore, although it doesn't hurt.