Free Agency Day - Bombers Moves

10 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

When buying a car, do you walk into a dealership, and yell "I've got tons of money, who wants to take it?" or do you go in and say "I might buy a car if the price is right, but really, I'm just looking "?  That's sort of what Walters is doing and has done over and over.

I do. Is that bad?

16 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Jeremy Murphy may step up in year 2 as our third NI wr.

well is gonna have to as we have nobody else unless we draft one...which seems likely now

what happened with that local kid who was supposed to be in camp last yr...was academically ineligible to go to Nebraska or somewhere?...maybe he back in camp again this spring

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

well is gonna have to as we have nobody else unless we draft one...which seems likely now

what happened with that local kid who was supposed to be in camp last yr...was academically ineligible to go to Nebraska or somewhere?...maybe he back in camp again this spring

I've been wondering what happened to him. Apparently is very talented, but haven't heard much since camp last year

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

One injury on the OL with the lack of depth we have & we're in deep doo doo. The DL & linebackers don't look much better. I'm worried. 

We will almost definitely be drafting an OL with a high pick

16 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

It's not good, how many holes do they have to fill? Team depth is walking out the door.

Team depth is a crap load easier to find then team high end talent.

16 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Reaching beyond Greg Peach, not a clue who the last one was.

Greg Peach? You must be thinking of someone else? He is not an OT, nor did we develop him.

11 hours ago, CodyT said:

Loling a lot at the Bomber fan Facebook group...

Saying strev wasn't a meaningful signing and could have spent the money else where. Unreal. Strev adds a massive dynamic to this offense and the price we were paying prukop..

Our offense looks like an Allstar team, but our defence, I'll be honest. Concerning. Let's hope our scouts find some gamers

Besides being Chris Streveler, where does this group think we are finding any kind of semi decent backup QB for less than 120k?

I have absolutely no issues with us turning over 6 starting spots and some backup/teams positions. Our scouting and drafting can bring in enough talent to cover that. We needed a bit of a roster reset in the sake of longer term continuity.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I have absolutely no issues with us turning over 6 starting spots and some backup/teams positions. Our scouting and drafting can bring in enough talent to cover that. We needed a bit of a roster reset in the sake of longer term continuity.

Yes, and one could argue we maybe should have done a bit of it last year as well. One could also argue.....and we have many times here that we could even cull a bit more this year.

It really is a balancing act and no one way is perfect, and no GM or idea is going to work perfect every time, but at the end of the day and would venture to guess most educated fans would agree that some culling of the heard was required and probably overdue.

Our current scouts un-earthed a few pretty darn good players, let's hope we find out that we have a couple more in the pipeline.

Losing Dru and Bolo sucks but they were buried behind stars, and deserve a chance at more playing time, Yoshi and his energy is tough to lose but his value got too high for our situation to absorb.

Let's develop the next Schoen, Nichols, Sayles, Stove and hope we have even one guy as good as them currently in the pipeline!

One thing we can all say is this year at TC we should see some actual "real meaningful" battles

1 hour ago, Booch said:

51 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I've been wondering what happened to him. Apparently is very talented, but haven't heard much since camp last year

Mekhi Tyrell - he played a few games for the Edmonton Wildcats team last year.  3 games, 5 receptions for 140 yards & 1 TD.  8 kick returns for 164 yards.  Not sure if he got hurt or what but he only played in 3 of the first 4 games and then nothing.   **Edit** The Elks had added him as a territorial exemption in August but he was removed from their list in November.

Edited by bigg jay

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/20/winnipeg-blue-bombers-flex-late-on-winless-edmonton-elks-12-other-thoughts/  

I was able to find verification of it. It wasn’t reflected in the bombers depth charts. Scroll down to the segment called hog shuffle. 

Yup Dobson played, mixed results, but it was stated Gray was the higest paid interior lineman then as well. I trust that Mos and Walter's know what they are doing...

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Kyle Walters cries poor every year and every year he's got money for what we need.

thank you for being the first to point this out (I've been busy for a couple days)... everyone seems to be forgetting Walters says this every year

I'd also like to know what some people consider good OL depth?... Bombers currently have 4 quality Canadian interior OL, that can start... hopefully add a blue chip prospect in the draft and we'll be fine... how many other teams can boast that?... Riders would love to have one, never mind 4...

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

thank you for being the first to point this out (I've been busy for a couple days)... everyone seems to be forgetting Walters says this every year

I'd also like to know what some people consider good OL depth?... Bombers currently have 4 quality Canadian interior OL, that can start... hopefully add a blue chip prospect in the draft and we'll be fine... how many other teams can boast that?... Riders would love to have one, never mind 4...

to be honest our starting depth is just fine with any combo of Bryant, Eli, Dobson, Neuf and Kolo....a rookie right tackle in that group isnt gonna kill us...and quite possibly if this Vanterpool kid pans out he can be more versatile than Yosh in how we use our Tackle....won't be as experienced, but doesnt need to be coming into a vet laden room and playing next  to a solid vet in Neuf

Edited by Booch

I imagine we’ll get back into the habit of drafting an offensive lineman early who can at the very least provide instant depth and then draft another developmental guy later on in the draft who will go back to school. We’ve discovered quite a few starting calibre lineman outside of the first round. Wouldn’t be surprised if we drafted an offensive  lineman, wr, and linebacker with our three picks in the first two rounds.   It’s crazy to think that we could have 10 Canadian starters if Ford ends up starting at corner.  

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Greg Peach? You must be thinking of someone else? He is not an OT, nor did we develop him.

Besides being Chris Streveler, where does this group think we are finding any kind of semi decent backup QB for less than 120k?

Right, I was thinking of Glenn January.  Stumbled across another memorable name from the 2014 roster, Dan Knapp, a pre-cursor to Trent Corney.

5 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Right, I was thinking of Glenn January.  Stumbled across another memorable name from the 2014 roster, Dan Knapp, a pre-cursor to Trent Corney.

We didn't develop January either, he just spent the most time with us (much like Neufeld has).  January started 28 games between Sask & Toronto before we got him.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I think you need 7-8 guys who can play really.  Dobson and Eli we’re hopeful for.  They haven’t had a ton of reps and a ton in different situations.  I’d really count them as one of five right now.  Other one is your spare.

Americans we’re not really sure of aside from Bryant, if he stays healthy.

Injuries become the issue.  Last year was pretty good on that front, but we’ve had years where starters are missing for significant period.  Risk of that rises with age of course.

47 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

We didn't develop January either, he just spent the most time with us (much like Neufeld has).  January started 28 games between Sask & Toronto before we got him.

Yea..last impactful developed by us OT I can remember is Dan Goodspeed

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think you need 7-8 guys who can play really.  Dobson and Eli we’re hopeful for.  They haven’t had a ton of reps and a ton in different situations.  I’d really count them as one of five right now.  Other one is your spare.

Americans we’re not really sure of aside from Bryant, if he stays healthy.

Injuries become the issue.  Last year was pretty good on that front, but we’ve had years where starters are missing for significant period.  Risk of that rises with age of course.

if you're talking about just interior Canadians... I'd say need is a strong word... if that's the case, the Bombers have had poor OL depth the past 5 season