2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

7 hours ago, Stickem said:

I think it's time to face the facts....the argo's have a 'loose cannon' on their club ...The history of this guy suggests it could be a mental issue....Besides the moral obligation that the team has , there now exists a criminal element as well....Until this goes through the courts a suspension of this player should be brought forward by the league ....Anything less will be seen as inaction.....I'm afraid Kelly has dug himself a hole and his history suggests this kind of thing 'could' happen again....The league going silent on this mess is deafening

Are you suggesting criminal harrassment? I'm no lawyer but that is a form of harassment that crosses a very specific line. I don't know that that has been alleged and don't believe the cops are involved in this yet ...

Edited by Doublezero

52 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Are you suggesting criminal harrassment? I'm no lawyer but that is a form of harassment that crosses a very specific line. I don't know that that has been alleged and don't believe the cops are involved in this yet ...

Yea...it's sleazy,100% inappropriate and clearly workplace harassment.. but I'm not sure it was criminal.

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Exactly. Things were of such low moral standard over there that they felt the need to publicly create a code of conduct due to fan outrage, which they immediately refused to enforce in subsequent years.

But hey bring it up and a Riderfan will pull his head out of the sand just long enough to call you an idiot before immediately sticking his head back in. Oblivious thy name is Rider fans.

And wasn't Kory Sheets busted in locker room for stealing from other players wallets? Classy character guys

Didn’t the bombers have a dude who killed his wife and her body never was found. I mean that’s going back in the past tho. Recently. I guess Jonathan Hefney probably and that’s not even that recent. And I think his issues happened after football. 

Edited by Goalie

20 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

For how long? Until the court case is done? Remember that the team itself has been named as part of the lawsuit, so it’s not as simple as “until their internal investigation is done”, since they are part of their own investigation. Do you think they will rule against themselves and admit wrongdoing if they plan to contest the civil suit? And suppose they find Kelly did wrong in their investigation and then he is cleared civilly in the suit - does he then have a wrongful termination suit against them? Or vice versa, they find he did no wrong and he loses the civil suit, does the employee get extra damages in another defamation suit against the club? Or does the court get tainted by the club’s findings, one way or another? 

Too many folks here ready to tar and feather based on half the story only told so far from one side and not be patient enough to let the judicial process play out. Harmful to both sides. 

Dude, it happens all the time in various lines of work. The investigation focuses on policies and procedures.  If the company is smart, they hire an outside agency (often a law firm) to conduct the inquiry, which is an employment matter and completely separate from any other civil matter. It's actually the opposite of the tar and feather stuff you're accusing people of, but hey righteous indignation feels so good, right?

On 2024-02-24 at 6:13 PM, ShyGuy said:

Why does it have to go to court?

Both the CFL and the Argos will definitely have a harassment policy. The CFL Contracts may have a character clause.

The courts are going to test: Is this a human rights offense? Was she wrongfully terminated?

What if everything that is recorded in the lawsuit happened exactly as described BUT the courts find that Kelly's actions didn't rise to the level of infringing on her human rights and due to the nature of her rolling contract the Argos were within their rights to not renew it. Does Kelly just get a pat on the back and told not to do it again or should their be consequences to someone's shitty actions. If you go directly to her (former) supervisor and he confirms that this is exactly what happens, don't you have grounds to act without hearing the courts?

It's a civil case.  The court is testing if the plaintiff was harmed, if the respondent(s) are liable for that harm, what the damages are and how those damages will be covered.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Qft...took him how many attempts to injure before he finally forced the Riders to release Marino.

Awe was max fined what 5 times last year? And atleast twice not fined but commented on by the league? The league finally gets rid of guys like Lawrence bad Marino only to have new guys fill the same role. 
How do you fine a guy that many times and not suspend for repeat offence 

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Take a look at the malcontents and head cases your team has regularly employed over the past several years. It's not idiotic to hold your team to account for it. You Rider fans should do the same.

Don't give me the holier than thou bullshit from a fan base that felt Marino was a martyr. Sorry if anyone is a bunch of clowns and idiots, it is an organization that stood behind that player and a fan base who felt he was unfairly persecuted.

Not even going to get into Nick Marshall's status as a gun toting member of a violent gang, that was public knowledge for years. 

I will wear your disdain like a badge of honor, knowing the truth hurt your feelers.

You know that many people though GM should have been turfed after the Masoli incident... 

Many people weren't cool with the gun toting gangster life style

There are a lot of low moral characters that went through the riders, but to lambast the entire fanbase for a few loud chowderheads? You can't paint the entire fanbase just on a few chucklefucks... that's petty and dumb. 

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

Didn’t the bombers have a dude who killed his wife and her body never was found. I mean that’s going back in the past tho. Recently. I guess Jonathan Hefney probably and that’s not even that recent. And I think his issues happened after football. 

Yes, former Bomber TE Brian Jack allegedly killed his wife back in the late 80's. I think he had 3 separate criminal trials & was convicted of second degree murder on unsubstantiated evidence in the first trial in 1990 as Jack's wife Christine's body has never been found. He was sentenced to life in prison.

His lawyer appealed to the Manitoba Court of Appeal & in 1992 a new trial was granted. The second trial found Jack not guilty & the Crown appealed the outcome. It went to the Supreme Court of Canada who backed the outcome of the second trial.

The Crown had a third trial & convicted Jack to 4 years in prison for manslaughter in 1994. Jack's lawyer appealed all the way to the Supreme Court who overturned the Lower Court decision in 1995 & Jack walked away a free man. His daughter feels that Jack knows where her Mother is buried & has appealed to her Father to come clean & confess to her murder as well as tell Police where her mother's remains are but Jack refuses to talk to her. 

Jack had played in the CFL from 1973-79 for the Bombers & Ottawa. He was an unemployed football player & a decade after he last played the money must have been tight. The night jack's wife died, they had a big argument & she had stormed out of their house in St. Vital & she drove off in their Chevy Blazer never to be seen again.

I think just about everyone who knows about this case believes Brian Jack did kill his wife but there was no hard evience to convict as well as no body. However, knowing what we know now about traumatic brain injuries that we didn't know about back then is how brain injuries & head trauma  affects & changes behaviour. Although unproven, it may also be safe to say that CTE may have contributed to Jack's behaviour that night. The argument may have triggered something inside Brian Jack that caused him to do a terrible thing.

Much like former Blue Bomber Al Brenner suddenly leaving his family in 1986 & disappearing for 12 years. Maybe he also had thoughts of murder & violence on his mind & realized that he had to get away for their safety.  Although, before his death in 2012, Brenner always claimed he couldn't explain why he left.  Or didn't want to. Just surmising on my part. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Didn’t we employ a guy who tried to drown his wife in a bathtub? Isn’t one of our star players a guy who makes sure he isn’t super thirsty before he drives a car? 

We 100% have many of our own examples. I don't think you can legitimately make this argument for anyone employed under the current Bomber management, however. 

27 minutes ago, Jesse said:

We 100% have many of our own examples. I don't think you can legitimately make this argument for anyone employed under the current Bomber management, however. 

I don’t think we have any sex pests like Chad Kelly or any overall assholes, but one of our best players definitely doesn’t make good life choices all the time.

Not that it’s an issue, I’m just saying it’s not unique to other teams

10 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

You know that many people though GM should have been turfed after the Masoli incident... 

There are a lot of low moral characters that went through the riders, but to lambast the entire fanbase for a few loud chowderheads? You can't paint the entire fanbase just on a few chucklefucks... that's petty and dumb. 

Nor did I. I made a comment that lambasted his team, you know the Riders...the ones guilty of doing this. After that he acted like a chucklefuck and then I let him, and chowder heads like him, know what I thought of them. For the sake of clarity, I do not think that ALL Rider fans are like that.

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Awe was max fined what 5 times last year? And atleast twice not fined but commented on by the league? The league finally gets rid of guys like Lawrence bad Marino only to have new guys fill the same role. 
How do you fine a guy that many times and not suspend for repeat offence 

I agree.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don’t think we have any sex pests like Chad Kelly or any overall assholes, but one of our best players definitely doesn’t make good life choices all the time.

I guess it all depends on where you wanna draw the line. A great deal of the players in this league have somewhat of a checkered past and have made errors in judgement like drinking and driving. However, our team handled these situations like consummate pros by immediately suspending said player. Riders? Not so much. Tried to hide it, played their player despite the story breaking and then after relentless media pressure suspended him for a mean nothing game. That is the difference I am trying to show in my comments. 

All teams have players making mistakes. Teams like the Bombers address it appropriately, teams like the RIders or Chris Jones led teams sweep it under the carpet and defend their player with a "nothing to see here" attitude. 

40 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Not in any way, and any player stepping out of line and good character on our team is immediately and appropriately dealt with by our team before the CFL even has to intervene. 

10 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

It was more than just a few chowderheads. There were online petitions with thousands of signatures to overturn the suspension. Their own radio pxp guy was calling it a conspiracy against the Riders. Don't give me this crap that Rider fans kept a level head through this. There is nothing petty or dumb about reminding them of the stance that a vast majority of their fan base took on Marino, and even refusing to discuss the fact that Marshall is a gang member.

52 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think what’s unique about the riders is the volume of creeps they’ve had. Even over 10 and 15 years to Trevis smith. Stack them up over that time and compare it to the rest of the league. 
 Athletes especially in football frequently come from bad situations, and are prone to having varied legal issues. Every one has a guy now and then. And some of them are really awful. When it happens on a regular basis with one team though it’s different. 

In the case of Harris and lawler, we broke the news and acted quickly as an organization. Which never seems to be the approach from the riders. Even when their guy refuses a piss test, accosts the tester and runs away. Kelly’s ass was grass as soon as it happened too, though we were looking for an excuse to can that turd imo. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think what’s unique about the riders is the volume of creeps they’ve had. Even over 10 and 15 years to Trevis smith. Stack them up over that time and compare it to the rest of the league. 
 Athletes especially in football frequently come from bad situations, and are prone to having varied legal issues. Every one has a guy now and then. And some of them are really awful. When it happens on a regular basis with one team though it’s different. 

In the case of Harris and lawler, we broke the news and acted quickly as an organization. Which never seems to be the approach from the riders. Even when their guy refuses a piss test, accosts the tester and runs away. Kelly’s ass was grass as soon as it happened too, though we were looking for an excuse to can that turd imo. 

He should have been fired the second he swore at Bob Irving. 

Has Kelly been convicted yet or admitted guilt?   I am not a fan of the guy but I wouldn't quite call him a criminal until proven guilty.    I wouldn't expect the Argonauts to go public about something that isn't out of the realm of possibility of being a complete lie.     More information (or a court case) would be needed before truly reserving judgement. 

Now with Kenny Lawler it's black and white... the dude was caught drunk driving.  Not much needed in that for proven guilt.  

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Not sure about sheets, but Kenton Thief was.

thats who I meant..My bad...and apologies the Sheets

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

and Hughes passed out at the wheeel they tried to hide until the press leaked it...ooopsie daisy....effin Riders...scum management and players for most part