2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

"We're confident in our ability to operate in 2024" - the need to clarify that is a bit scary

it really looks like they're gonna be a private company sooner rather than later. Such a shame to see yet another public entity go this way.... Edmonton's CFL franchise used to be one of the wealthiest in the league, even as "Community" owned. As someone said on Twitter, they ran into a perfect storm of ****.... the pandemic+the name change+garbage product on the field.....

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it really looks like they're gonna be a private company sooner rather than later. Such a shame to see yet another public entity go this way.... Edmonton's CFL franchise used to be one of the wealthiest in the league, even as "Community" owned. As someone said on Twitter, they ran into a perfect storm of ****.... the pandemic+the name change+garbage product on the field.....

It's one thing to talk about it, another to find an owner willing to step up and take on the risk.  I doubt Katz the owner of the Oilers is interested.

21 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

It's one thing to talk about it, another to find an owner willing to step up and take on the risk.  I doubt Katz the owner of the Oilers is interested.

Not many owners are too interested in the CFL financially, they take it on as more of a philanthropic exercise.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not many owners are too interested in the CFL financially, they take it on as more of a philanthropic exercise.

True. I’d still say right now, the privately owned teams have an overall better group than at any other point in recent history. 

I remember the Gleibermans, Larry Rickman and some of the other clowns involved over the years. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

True. I’d still say right now, the privately owned teams have an overall better group than at any other point in recent history. 

I remember the Gleibermans, Larry Rickman and some of the other clowns involved over the years. 

For sure. We certainly don't want some assclown getting his hands on the Shmoes just because he is the only guy in Edmonton willing to take it on. That being said, that is a pretty strong union town, I think community ownership will be something that the unions get behind and help fundraise to keep.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure. We certainly don't want some assclown getting his hands on the Shmoes just because he is the only guy in Edmonton willing to take it on. That being said, that is a pretty strong union town, I think community ownership will be something that the unions get behind and help fundraise to keep.

Good point. If it’s anything like here, UFCW alone could put up a good stake in the team. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Good point. If it’s anything like here, UFCW alone could put up a good stake in the team. 

Not sure the unions want to own, but they will fundraise and ticket drive the crap out of that city. They could help with offering time payments on season tix etc.

Edited by GCn20

39 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It seems half the rhetoric coming out of Edmonton is focused on stomping out any whiff of communism and the other half is changing the name back to the Eskimos, just because.

Edited by Fatty Liver

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Edmonton and Calgary are going to be flash points for the league very shortly.

Disappointing how nonchalant Ambrosie is toward the strife in these markets.

Facility issues there are huge.  No use pining after a 10th market.

10th market would do wonders in bringing hype to the cfl..for a short period of time. 

I don't know the history in Calgary but have they ever been exceptionally well attended? Not since I've been watching the cfl.. even when they were "the team" to beat 

Is that a stadium issue or is that calgary becoming a Toronto and not giving a **** about the cfl?

15 hours ago, GCn20 said:

If I work in a union then why would I want my union dues to finace my union leader's or some other union leader's fetish to own a team with someone else's money? I'd say **** him.

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yes.

It's not that simple. The fanbase in Calgary want a new stadium but it's fallen on deaf ears from ownership to local poliricians for a quarter of a century. Stamps fans see other CFL cities get new buildings. They don't so now they're staying home as McMahon is a dump with no atmosphere or buzz, They're tired of all their stars walking in free agency because the owner doean't care. They're talking with their wallets. & won't buy tickets. Now, James Vaughters has signed a 2 year deal this past week so maybe Murray Edwards has finally clued in. Management is a mess. Dickenson can't handle being a HC & GM. He was told by Hufnagel that he had to take on more than just being the HC because of the Coaches & Admin cap & so he did. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If I work in a union then why would I want my union dues to finace my union leader's or some other union leader's fetish to own a team with someone else's money? I'd say **** him.

It's not that simple. The fanbase in Calgary want a new stadium but it's fallen on deaf ears from ownership to local poliricians for a quarter of a century. Stamps fans see other CFL cities get new buildings. They don't so now they're staying home as McMahon is a dump with no atmosphere or buzz, They're tired of all their stars walking in free agency because the owner doean't care. They're talking with their wallets. & won't buy tickets. Now, James Vaughters has signed a 2 year deal this past week so maybe Murray Edwards has finally clued in. Management is a mess. Dickenson can't handle being a HC & GM. He was told by Hufnagel that he had to take on more than just being the HC because of the Coaches & Admin cap & so he did. 

Stamps have just as many coaches as any other team and the same budget, it's Dickenson's choice how he fills those positions.