2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Your whole post is fantastic . . . in theory. 

As a moderator, I understand the challenge of that role (professionally and personally), i.e., providing safe trusting environments where all (introverts, extroverts, ambiverts) feel comfortable sharing their diverse thoughts, views, ideas, perspectives whether fully formed or not with the common objective of contributing for the better.

Especially with the current environment we live in, it's a wicked problem to solve and get better at in an adequate way.

Unfortunately in practice a small minority of humans who consistently spout drivel, play the victim card because they're called on it and yell that they're not being heard ruin it for the diverse population who actually and legitimately aren't being heard and aren't being provided a comfortable safe environment to practice what you articulate above.

This is what we have to debate more and figure out together.  

But not here in this thread.

I appreciate the view and *you* for choosing not to derail the topic (even if this part of the discussion has gone a little sideways).

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Tracker said:

Mike Miller would be an excellent choice if that is what he wants to do.

That’d be interesting. Or maybe medlock! lol. Now that I think about it it’s kinda odd k/ps never seem to become coaches. 
 I wonder if mos could take that role, then allow buck to take some off his plate and use that room under the coaches cap some place else. Or we might even have a position coach who could double dip with support from mos. 
 Hogan, bourgoin, or stanley could fit. Stanley is probably the best fit imo, but he’s already doing double duty. Bourgoin is super under rated and it might help keep him here longer and develop him more. Hogan isn’t the best fit and is the newest guy but rb is a less demanding position to coach imo. 

10 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Look, no one was trying to drive Booch away. Wasn't anyone's intention at all. You are right that we can all have egos at times for sure and definitely behavior can be atrocious. That being said what was so atrocious that was said to Booch? All everyone was pointing out is that the roster management and MOS criticisms are now getting over the top. If that hurts Booch's sensibilities that was not the intention. It's the offseason. Let's see what happens this offseason before deciding what MOS will or won't do before INSISTING that he will do nothing. He moved on from his STC because results were below expectations, that's a good start....but when people acknowledged that Booch tried to sell us on a spin that would keep the MOS criticisms going instead of just acknowledging a good move by MOS and management. Why? I think what most of us who are saying we are tired of this narrative are trying to point out is that we literally have not had a discussion over the past 8-9 months where it hasn't been spun back to this same criticism over and over again even when it is completely inapplicable.

I am not against upgrades at any position that make us younger and better. I just don't believe in setting someone adrift that is still very good until you have secured that upgrade.

We need to get younger at certain positions like MLB. We need to upgrade our interior DL. Our secondary is inconsistent. It can be great one game & shitty the next. Was Demerio Houston a great corner or did he see the football a lot because teams felt they could attack him? I

'd like to see a couple of changes to our OL. There are some young lions ready to step up that need to play but languish on the bench or PR in favour of aging veterans.

I'm not sold on Brady being our starting running back if he wants a ton of $$$ to stay. I'd flip the backfield to an American running back because it's the easiest & cheapest thing to do. Schoen has to get re-signed. 

As far as Booch goes, his constant criticism of the way O'Shea uses the roster wasn't something I paid much attention to prior to this past season. However, as the year went on I started to look at how he built the roster especially with the new DA rules & Booch was absolutely right. Why do we have an American fullback as a DA? Why do we dress players & then not play them? Why are some obviously talented players not starting?? Why do we not build a roster that would make our team better? Then this past Grey Cup, it got to the point of almost being bizarre playing injured Biggie & Schoen in the GC because had we won had they not played their names wouldn't have been on the Cup. Well, we lost. If we had two healthy players at those positions it may have made a difference. 

If it wasn't for Booch & to a lesser extent Mike, I may have never paid attention to the way the roster was being used. So, props to them for doing that & making me aware of what was going on. 

It's almost like O'Shea needs to have someone save him from himself. With Walters being a lame duck GM at the time, it appeared there was no one there he was answering to. I sure as hell hope that has changed with Walters new contract. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Don’t get me started on banning political speech. It’s like people think we have a new stadium and government had nothing to do with it. 

I merely roll my eyes at the low fruit you grab. 

Ha, ha, Thin skinned much? You were talking about mocking posts here. Then, when I make a little joke about it & do it to you you're suddenly a tad upset? If you noticed, I said "Lol' on my last post. It was meant to be a joke & nothing more but carry on.  

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We need to get younger at certain positions like MLB. We need to upgrade our interior DL. Our secondary is inconsistent. It can be great one game & shitty the next. Was Demerio Houston a great corner or did he see the football a lot because teams felt they could attack him? 

He was good enough to be voted an all-star by his peers and good enough to get some NFL interest... Both of which came as a surprise to me.

Given the Biggie talk this week, 3DN has an interesting article about potential FA linebackers in BC. The part about MLB no longer being viewed the same way these days caught my eye. Wonder if GM's feel the same way.

"However, middle linebacker is no longer viewed as the premium position it once was and the Lions will be wary of overspending in a spot where statistics are often inflated."

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/06/tough-decisions-loom-in-b-c-lions-loaded-linebacking-corps/

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

He was good enough to be voted an all-star by his peers and good enough to get some NFL interest... Both of which came as a surprise to me.

interceptions go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Houston isn't bad, but I think it was a mistake for him to be playing in the Grey Cup over Rose... though Rose I figure is a cap casualty this season. 

23 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Lurkers are worthless.  Let them leave they don't contribute anything anyway.

Here is the problem... there are some people who will vehemently deny that oshea has roster management problems and some that will take that denial entirely too seriously.  

Make no mistake, Mike oshea for being the best coach going had always had roster blind spots. Our roster usage was complete garbage last season. So I can understand why people get mad when it's denied. It's like denying the sky is blue. But it's also not as awful as some people think. 

Bombers did play most of the year on hard mode last year with their roster usage. 

Find me even one post where roster usage problems were denied. One. You won't find it. The only thing people argued about was how serious the effect of this problem was and that is completely fair imo.

Look, I'm guilty of carrying on with Booch about the effect of roster management during the season. I just hoped he would give it a rest in the offseason because it is a horse that's been beaten to death. Bombers get rid of STC...and somehow roster management gets worked into the argument. It's tedious.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I wonder how long Brady spends trying to get an NFL look. I wonder if the club has presented Schoen with a new deal and he's mulling it over or is Roadhouse going to wait to see what free agency offers?

I don't really know if the NFL thing is holding anything up. But both are probably looking for +++ dollars and Walters is doing his thing, trying to make it work. 

If they're too far apart and it's not going to work, I don't know if we'll necessarily hear about it until much closer to FA. 

I know that Darren Cameron's on vacation right now, if that means anything. Might be an off period for the office. 

With the team perpetually in win-now mode and assuming Dru Brown signs elsewhere would it make sense for us to trade for Tre Ford?  He would instantly answer our questions surrounding QB depth and being a Canadian on his entry-level deal it would free up cap space even versus what Brown was making last season. With his mobility, we also wouldn't really need to dress a 3rd string qb so you end up essentially with two DI's elsewhere as a result of this move. I think Edmonton would be open to trading him but might cost a 1st round pick. Tre Ford was kind of insulted last year by not being given a chance sooner. Now he is insulted again after playing so well to come into camp as the backup. No way do I see him returning to Edmonton after this season when his contract expires. So why not trade him for some value now?