Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have made the most appearances (26), while the Toronto Argonauts have won the most championships (18) and have the best record in the Grey Cup composite standings (18-6). Despite the CFL's brief U.S. expansion era in the mid-1990s, the Grey Cup has never been played outside of Canada. The Baltimore Stallions were the only American team to appear in the Grey Cup (twice, losing in 1994 and winning the following year).

List of Grey Cup champions - Wikipedia

It's Wikipedia, who knows.  I just don't think the Bombers have been in 30 Grey Cups, but I'll happily retract that statement if I'm wrong.

funny that both of our sources are Wikipedia... yet they have differing info... but I hope you're right... 12-14 is better than 12-18

10 minutes ago, bearpants said:

funny that both of our sources are Wikipedia... yet they have differing info... but I hope you're right... 12-14 is better than 12-18

I counted it up and I get 26 appearances since inception of the team.  Then there were two appearances by the "Winnipeg RCAF Bombers" in 1942 and 1943 but not sure those count.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

I hope the Bombers scrub their website clean of those smarmy bullshit videos with the soul stirring music and burn them in hell.  If Ed Tait ever approves of **** like that again, I'm going to hunt him down like a Newfie in wild pursuit of a Harp seal!!!

the worst thing about those pieces was getting a "Big Voice Guy" (technical term... ha ha) to voice them rather than players or former players or Irving..... get someone who MATTERS to voice those pieces and they have double the impact. 

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'd rather be successful in getting to the Big Game and choke than choking throughout the season to not even get there. 

Getttin there is a feat in itself....Is it safe to say we learned valuable lessons these last 2, and can bookend 2 losses with 2 wins...6 straight appearances....still a damn good run and yes....still a dynasty of sorts....sadly we should have had won 4 in a row as both these games where there for the taking...we just choked on various levels

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the worst thing about those pieces was getting a "Big Voice Guy" (technical term... ha ha) to voice them rather than players or former players or Irving..... get someone who MATTERS to voice those pieces and they have double the impact. 

The best playoff social media was 2019 with the video game graphics and everything else 

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

Getttin there is a feat in itself....Is it safe to say we learned valuable lessons these last 2, and can bookend 2 losses with 2 wins...6 straight appearances....still a damn good run and yes....still a dynasty of sorts....sadly we should have had won 4 in a row as both these games where there for the taking...we just choked on various levels

I don’t want to hear the D word. I think that’s part of the problem. I can appreciate the accomplishments for sure but that’s now two years in a row we lost as heavy favourites in similar fashion by getting punched in the teeth and out worked by a team that wanted it more. 

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

Gettin there is half the fun....Where have I heard that one before  lol....Seriously ....we need to look closely at the roster and part ways with some of the 'overthehill' gang....I know loyalty and continuity are important BUT if you can sign younger and cheaper we really have to look at that direction...I don't know if we could make Streve work for us ...he may have other ideas but worth a look,...I say everything should be on the table and I know damn well tough decisions are going to have to be made....Anyway it's a looooong off season

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Gettin there is half the fun....Where have I heard that one before  lol....Seriously ....we need to look closely at the roster and part ways with some of the 'overthehill' gang....I know loyalty and continuity are important BUT if you can sign younger and cheaper we really have to look at that direction...I don't know if we could make Streve work for us ...he may have other ideas but worth a look,...I say everything should be on the table and I know damn well tough decisions are going to have to be made....Anyway it's a looooong off season

time to hire Wally Buono to come in with a chainsaw.  He cut Bighill years ago, and here we are still draining every last ounce out of the guy.  Wally never had a problem telling vets it was time to go.  I just don't think O'Shea is the guy to do it.  You can't really have it both ways unfortunately, being a "players' coach" and also the guy who has to make the tough calls that wind up with you looking like the bad guy. 

I faced that in several companies I worked at, with bad employees who needed to go.  Some guys just don't have the stomach to do it, no matter what, so I always had to be the "bad guy" who had to tell Larry that his constant tardiness was a drain on morale and that he was going to have to hit the road.   Guys want the "President" or "Coach" title, but they don't want the bad stuff that comes with it, that sometimes includes firing your friends.  Not sure why that is because in the end by not cutting their throat you are in effect cutting your own.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

6 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

time to hire Wally Buono to come in with a chainsaw.  He cut Bighill years ago, and here we are still draining every last ounce out of the guy.

Didn't Bighill leave the CFL for New Orleans, and then instead of going back to BC, he came to Wpg instead? Right before Training Camp...

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Didn't Bighill leave the CFL for New Orleans, and then instead of going back to BC, he came to Wpg instead? Right before Training Camp...

fair enough.  Not sure if Wally even tried to sign him....point is Wally moves on from players...we don't see to be able to do that...and it just cost us a ship.

On 2023-11-19 at 11:17 PM, Jesse said:

It might be 50/50.

I can see a couple vets retiring, I can see them coming back. Biggie is the only guy who's age and play has me concerned, 

I'd like to see a real competition along the OL next year. There's our kids in the pipeline who are ready or they're not. 

I think Eli, Dobson, and perhaps Richmond are all ready.

On 2023-11-20 at 10:03 AM, Jesse said:

Breaking down the offence. I generally want things to stay the same/can't see better options out there. Big question with Schoen, small question with Brady. I would really, really like to see some young OL just take jobs and turn our front into a bigger force again. Will need some investment in WR and OL next year for development and depth. Might need the next developmental QB, too.

Quarterbacks:

Zach - ***** all you guys want, he's going no where. 

Dru Brown - heard some interesting things lately. I'm more open to the idea he might come back than I was earlier in the season. 

Runningback:

Brady - obviously want him back, but he's put a little fly in the ointment on that one. Would need a new starter if he left.

Offensive Line:

Stan - coin flip on if he retires. I bet a lot of the vets are going to make this decision together. I feel he'll be back

Neuf - Kind of a prime retirement candidate. Does he do what Stan does?

Kolankowski - I'm done with this experiment.

Gray - Don't have enough bodies to replace the whole interior, if it comes to that.

Hardrick - He'll play until they rip the jersey off his back. No one will do that.

Eli - Need him to have the off season of his life and force his way onto the starting roster

Dobson - Same. Put up or shut up time. 

Receivers:

Kenny - Paid way too much for next year, but he can be best. Need him to play a full season next year tho. No more crap.

Schoen - Grey Cup notwithstanding, he's a beast. When Zach is able to be mobile in the pocket, no one is more dangerous.

Bailey - another team friendly deal? We may need some rookie salaries in the rest of the receiving core.

Demski/Woli - all signed up already?

BOO - Probably moves onto another opportunity if he can, but bring him back if we can

________ - I wish we had a guy this year that I could look forward to next year. Recruiting fail at receiver this year. 

I'd be absolutely stunned if Brady left. Can see him making 250k or more next year with us.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it ends up being even more expensive because if you're going NI at RB, then you have to have a back-up NI RB, which isn't as cheap as having two IMP QBs......

No reason you need an NI back-up. It’s the simplest solution, but not the only one.

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I hated 'Reclaim the Throne'. There's no Throne in football. It should have been 'Reclaim the Cup'.

metaphor noun
met·a·phor

an expression, often found in literature, that describes a person or object by referring to something that is considered to have similar characteristics to that person or object:
"The mind is an ocean" and "the city is a jungle" are both metaphors.

On a different note, I have no idea if they are planning on re-signing Walters, but I would hope after Sunday that Miller realizes that O'Shea really does need someone to protect him from himself.  I don't know if Walters would be the best guy for that job, but it's obviously needed.

Edited by WBBFanWest

10 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

metaphor noun
met·a·phor

an expression, often found in literature, that describes a person or object by referring to something that is considered to have similar characteristics to that person or object:
"The mind is an ocean" and "the city is a jungle" are both metaphors.

On a different note, I have no idea if they are planning on re-signing Walters, but I would hope after Sunday that Miller realizes that O'Shea really does need someone to protect him from himself.  I don't know if Walters would be the best guy for that job, but it's obviously needed.

Great point. We all need that someone so it's really no disrespect to MOS in saying that. 

Bighill in the Free Press today...

The veteran linebacker also wanted to clear the air on what happened on the 23-yard touchdown Als quarterback Cody Fajardo threw to Cole Spieker in the third quarter with Bighill in coverage.

“If you guys in the media are maybe a little bit more savvy watching football than maybe your average person, you know that we don’t ask linebackers to cover receivers vertically down the field,” Bighill said. “Let’s just say I was trying to cover up and help out. Was that my man in man-to-man coverage? No. But it’s OK, there was a miscommunication that Montreal did a good job of exploiting, coaching-wise.”

Tell us it was Holm's fault without telling us it was Holm's fault. And I'm sure he's not wrong but not a very leader-like thing to share in the media 

3 hours ago, ddanger said:

I'd be absolutely stunned if Brady left. Can see him making 250k or more next year with us.

Not a chance. Running backs aren’t big earners.

16 minutes ago, True Dru said:

The veteran linebacker also wanted to clear the air on what happened on the 23-yard touchdown Als quarterback Cody Fajardo threw to Cole Spieker in the third quarter with Bighill in coverage.

“If you guys in the media are maybe a little bit more savvy watching football than maybe your average person, you know that we don’t ask linebackers to cover receivers vertically down the field,” Bighill said. “Let’s just say I was trying to cover up and help out. Was that my man in man-to-man coverage? No. But it’s OK, there was a miscommunication that Montreal did a good job of exploiting, coaching-wise.”

Tell us it was Holm's fault without telling us it was Holm's fault. And I'm sure he's not wrong but not a very leader-like thing to share in the media 

The funny thing is we’ve asked Bighill to do this a ton. And he used to be able to.

He’s the first one I want to see go. Can’t stand him anymore.

The only way Bighill should be back is if he's going to gain about 10 pounds and play nose at a 50% pay cut.  Will be disappointed if we give up a great player or two in their prime to keep him around.

30 minutes ago, True Dru said:

Looks more like Alexander to me.  Holm is playing corner there and jumps the outside breaking route.  Alexander is at no depth to cover curls but also doesn't track the vertical.  That's the drive when Alexander dropped down to half and Hallett came in at safety because Parker got bopped on the kickoff cover.  The drive where we really could have used a backup DB.