East Final GDT - Argonauts vs Alouettes

MOBomberFan

well the 2019 Grey Cup game day roster had

Rose..BA...Exume..Wilson...Briggs...Gauthier..Biggie...Hallet..Jeffcoat..Thomas..Hansen..WJ...Bryant..ELI...Neuf...Yoshi..Woli...Lawler..Demski..Miller...ZC..Augustine...Sheed..Grant...also Gray but not dressed....not 100 percent sure who was on IR or PR...but that is 25 guys from the first cup still here, and producing...Mind you Lawler and Exume left for a yr....But are back now....That in itself is as impressive as heck in this day and age

Comprehensive defeat. Beat in all phases of play.

Imagine the Argos historic season culminating in a record home attendance and just utterly laying an egg. This one will suck to look back on for many years to come.

I only know a few Alouette fans, but just visualizing how this must be for them actually cheers me up a bit. What a road win against overwhelming odds in a hostile environment... They deserve it.

Can they pull this off 2 weeks in a row? It'll be a longshot. But then, so was yesterday.

Congrats to the East and West Champions.

Hope it's a good show next Sunday.

10 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

What happens when you don’t play in a competitive game in two months.

And CK doesn’t come across as a ‘student of the game’ wanting to learn and adjust as appropriate. AH probably tried to help him with that but to no avail.

He comes across as more of an ‘all good me, all bad you’ type guy.

56 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Eli wasn’t on the team last year right? A few guys have left and come back but ya big group for all 4

That's right, I forgot he sat out the 2022 season after being suspended over vaccination status and forced to watch the 2021 Grey Cup. That's when Kola entered the picture, taking over as Couture's backup and eventual replacement

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Imagine the Argos historic season culminating in a record home attendance and just utterly laying an egg.

Some of us did, and explained that pretending you could flip a switch after treating the last 2 months of the season as preseason was asking for it.

Don't take your foot off the gas in the fall, fall is when you need to be playing your best ball and overcoming adversity. 

Argos should have dressed their A team against Winnipeg and used it as a tone setter or if they had lost as a wake up call. Instead they ducked the only possible challenge they had remaining and made a pathetic playoff exit. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Some of us did, and explained that pretending you could flip a switch after treating the last 2 months of the season as preseason was asking for it.

Don't take your foot off the gas in the fall, fall is when you need to be playing your best ball and overcoming adversity. 

Argos should have dressed their A team against Winnipeg and used it as a tone setter or if they had lost as a wake up call. Instead they ducked the only possible challenge they had remaining and made a pathetic playoff exit. 

Basically this....100 percent 

6 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Watching the recap. Fajardo is lucky Kelly had a historically bad game...Cody was complete trash in that game. Just awful.

He was awful...totally incompetent...and any time he was looking to pass was cringe worthy...if Evans played they prob had that game out of reach early into 2nd half

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Comprehensive defeat. Beat in all phases of play.

Imagine the Argos historic season culminating in a record home attendance and just utterly laying an egg. This one will suck to look back on for many years to come.

I only know a few Alouette fans, but just visualizing how this must be for them actually cheers me up a bit. What a road win against overwhelming odds in a hostile environment... They deserve it.

Can they pull this off 2 weeks in a row? It'll be a longshot. But then, so was yesterday.

Congrats to the East and West Champions.

Hope it's a good show next Sunday.

As I have been telling you for weeks, this wasn't a case of Montreal overcoming overwhelming odds, this was a case of a really good team thinking they could stall their momentum and still win. In this league that's a recipe for getting beat and that's what happened.

13 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd call it a learning experience for Dinwiddie and Kelly,  I expect that next year they wont lay an egg.    

Kelly showed some mental fragility yesterday. He might be the next Cody Faj.

54 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yep. They had one chance at a measuring stick game and decided to run from it.

If we lose it will because ZC throws pics forcing things...we go away from.the.run...and our kick coverage allows a return TD...and we cough ball up 4 times or more...thats a lot of ifs to all occur to give them a slim chance

I see no way that Faj led offence will do anything of note against the top defense in the league...none whatsoever 

And that doesn't factor in the teams bad taste from last yr blowing it

Edited by Booch

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

If we lose it will because ZC throws pics forcing things...we go away from.the.run...and our kick coverage allows a return TD...and we cough ball up 4 times or more...thats a lot of ifs to all occur to give them a slim chance

I see no way that Faj led offence will do anything of note against the top defense in the league...none whatsoever 

Exactly. If the Bombers don’t turn it over or allow huge returns, hard to see the Als winning. Just don’t force it. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Cody Fajardo is and has always been awful. If they beat us it will be nothing to do with him.

Toronto won't have a season next year like they did this year. Yesterday's game broke the glass and they now have been found out.

Some claim we ruined CoFaj a few years ago....He most likely cringes when he sees BluenGold take the field and I doubt things have changed much

As far as Chadwick goes if Montreal didn't ruin him yesterday they sure put a dent in his armour....He's definitely been exposed 

3 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Watching the recap. Fajardo is lucky Kelly had a historically bad game...Cody was complete trash in that game. Just awful.

He put the ball right into McManis' hands a couple times when McManis started up on the line and dropped out, one of them for sure would have been a pick six right after Montreal picked one off that led directly to a FG.  I was waiting for Fajardo to get the Argos back into that one.  At a certain point I couldn't believe Montreal kept letting him pass the ball when they were in FG range.

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

As far as Chadwick goes if Montreal didn't ruin him yesterday they sure put a dent in his armour....He's definitely been exposed 

I had not watched him much in the regular season this year.  It's noticeable that he doesn't put enough zip on short yardage throws. The Als were all over his side arm floaters. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

I had not watched him much in the regular season this year.  It's noticeable that he doesn't put enough zip on short yardage throws. The Als were all over his side arm floaters. 

I have never seen a qb. get so rattled , especially in a playoff game.....He looked panic stricken after he made a few bad throws and it just snowballed ...IF he would have played like that in last years Cup coming off the bench, we would definitely be playing to win our 4th Cup in a row on Sunday....He lost all composure and even the pep talk from Harris on the bench didn't work...I think he'll recover ....if not he'll be relagated to the back-up role in TO

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Last meeting collaros tossed 3 into, including 2 pick 6s and the bombers STILL blew them out. That is how ineffective Faj has been against this defense.

As I said before, Toronto this year reminded me of the Vikings last year - lots of wins that were flukes - but you introduce a bit of adversity or intensity like a playoff game and a motivated opponent then they are going to be in trouble.  Man, did they fold.  I wasn't sure why Dinwiddie didn't put in the second stringer at some point as it was clear that Kelly had turned to Jelly and was doing his best impression of Dane Evans in the second half of the 2019 Grey Cup.  

Also I'm sure this has been mentioned but the Argos followed the 2001 Blue Bomber strategy of taking the foot off the gas and that was dumb.  That game in Winnipeg was a joke.  They didn't want to play the best team in the league and just rolled over.  The Argos got what they deserved.  I will let the late great Alan Arkin sum up my feelings on the Argos of 2023:

tumblr_mglz7yKrbj1qzi80do2_500.gifv

Edited by kelownabomberfan