Elks @ West Division Champs: The Game (that no longer matters) Day Thread

Noeller

9 hours ago, Bombertown said:

Find the quote 😂 because Richie and Osh said holm

He said it in an article somewhere....also personally...believe what u will...also look and the pri day numbers...tho sometimes those are a bit not totally true indication...things may have came into play for them...and way they were performed....so laugh all u want...Osh says Lotsa things too that aren't necessarily 100 percent fact

1 hour ago, Booch said:

He said it in an article somewhere....also personally...believe what u will...also look and the pri day numbers...tho sometimes those are a bit not totally true indication...things may have came into play for them...and way they were performed....so laugh all u want...Osh says Lotsa things too that aren't necessarily 100 percent fact

Parker didn’t even have an official pro day bc Covid so 

10 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Our kick coverage still sucks. That could be a huge issue in the big game...

Pathetic is my take on it...We used to gang tackle and get down field a helluva lot quicker than what's happening now...The return for a td showed exactly what's wrong ....no coverage and continually in chase mode...IF that's the way Osh wants the teams to run we're in big trouble in a playoff game ...Opposition can see it and are exploiting it....Gonna come back and bite us in the ass if things don't change

16 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

Parker didn’t even have an official pro day bc Covid so 

He has done testing tho....and lots of guys have no pro days...or combine days...but do have all the tests done and verified....to say he has/had no measurables for scouts and GM's is almost laughable

1 minute ago, Booch said:

He has done testing tho....and lots of guys have no pro days...or combine days...but do have all the tests done and verified....to say he has/had no measurables for scouts and GM's is almost laughable

You know just as well as I do that laser and hand timing isn’t the same

13 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Matty D is ******* gold!

And I remember an interview with him a few years back of how he and his family often times struggle with his CTE and how it has changed his personality at times. I thought he was being very vulnerable to share the effects of concussions but good for other people to know. He’s the man, a great ambassador for the CFL.

1 hour ago, Bombertown said:

Not sure your point but that's obvious...also...was it indoor...outdoor...elevation? Weather conditions...Lotsa variable....Parker avg time was 4.49....low of 4.40....also straight line speed and game speed are 1 different beasts

Along with reaction speed...Parker has the best combo of this on the Bombers 

12 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

BO doing BO stuff. 

Zach didnt get hurt. Still puts up low numbers post September.  

Lawler looked engaged thankfully.  (Every 3 games he does) 

Biggie made some plays. (Like he was visible) 

Front four on D contained Ford for the most part. 

Our boys on the oline look hungry.  

Nichols is an all star. 

Rose is playing close to '19 form

Holm keeps being highlighted...some plays...some just tackling. 

Our kick coverage still sucks. That could be a huge issue in the big game...

Vs BC 389 yards 2 TDs

Are you looking for long developing passing plays in a game that means nothing in the standings? 

So he can take hits? 

Edited by Geebrr

15 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Not sutr if this has been discussed Rose is being targeted every game with little going the other side. He certainly isn’t the player he was before he left for the NFL. Don’t think he will be around next year. Also am I seeing things or does collaras not seem to use all his receivers? A couple to lawler, a few to demski, a little to anyone else. Brown comes in and they all get a go. Sure hope he can use them all going forward.

Don't know how many reps. BOLO played but he did not get a single target, 7 other receivers did so the ball was spread out pretty thin.  Seems he would be an ideal target for those inside routes Lawler was getting pasted on, can't afford to have Kenny limping into the playoffs without Schoen.

6 hours ago, Bombertown said:

Pro days and ncaa camp numbers are all equally in reliable. Projected numbers can vary a whole lot too. 
 Even in electric timed 40s conditions can have a huge impact. Peterman probably would’ve run a high 4.3 or 4.4 flat at the combine if conditions had been optimal. 

Imo just by eye test Parker looks like he has a better too speed, he has an elite top gear not many faster in the league and no one notably faster. Holm, is more explosive. He has an electric first step and change of direction ability. Neither has a deficiency in their athleticism. But both are a bit different. Parker is shorter and far more stout. Holm is taller but more slight. That said both play with good strength. 

The special factor with holm like mos has said is he has excellent footwork. In general he is a smooth football player. Not some track athlete trying to fit in on the field. 
 For Parker similarly despite his athleticism he is a natural football player. He is more of a dynamic play maker. But both have a lot of similarities. 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Good to see Hansen back.  That is all.

And taking names on teams too. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Pro days and ncaa camp numbers are all equally in reliable. Projected numbers can vary a whole lot too. 
 Even in electric timed 40s conditions can have a huge impact. Peterman probably would’ve run a high 4.3 or 4.4 flat at the combine if conditions had been optimal. 

Imo just by eye test Parker looks like he has a better too speed, he has an elite top gear not many faster in the league and no one notably faster. Holm, is more explosive. He has an electric first step and change of direction ability. Neither has a deficiency in their athleticism. But both are a bit different. Parker is shorter and far more stout. Holm is taller but more slight. That said both play with good strength. 

The special factor with holm like mos has said is he has excellent footwork. In general he is a smooth football player. Not some track athlete trying to fit in on the field. 
 For Parker similarly despite his athleticism he is a natural football player. He is more of a dynamic play maker. But both have a lot of similarities. 

Parker has more fluid hips and changes directions and can adjust at top speed much more efficiently...best I see up here since Marquese Fitzgerald if any of you remember him....basically he can move and change like Denmark could without having to throttle down....thats a huge advantage as a DB/receiver....also why Parker seems to close so fast and is rarely missing a tackle

8 hours ago, Stickem said:

Pathetic is my take on it...We used to gang tackle and get down field a helluva lot quicker than what's happening now...The return for a td showed exactly what's wrong ....no coverage and continually in chase mode...IF that's the way Osh wants the teams to run we're in big trouble in a playoff game ...Opposition can see it and are exploiting it....Gonna come back and bite us in the ass if things don't change

Yeah, we gave them that return TD just like the busted coverage to Arceneaux in the first quarter leading to the first Elks TD. We have real issues on D & ST's. Is it a communication thing. What's the issue? 

27 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, we gave them that return TD just like the busted coverage to Arceneaux in the first quarter leading to the first Elks TD. We have real issues on D & ST's. Is it a communication thing. What's the issue? 

Just my take from the eye test, but looking at the kickoffs, Castillo can get a bit of air under them but then they are getting fielded at the 25 or better by the returner. The average kickoff return will come out at about 23 yards (min 21 max 25 looking at averages throughout the league this season) so with that we are giving teams the 45-50 yard line as a starting point consistently based on the averages. The target line should be the 40 given the move back 5 yards on the kickoff to the 30, so anything beyond the 40 yard line to start a drive is a fail.

Now Castillo’s average is actually 66 yards per kickoff, behind only Bede, so he has a leg, but it seems (as seen in the Edmonton return TD) that to get it deeper, like to the 12 yard line as he did on the TD play, he has to line drive it more, and the hang time is not there to get the cover team down the field, and the returner has a chance to get to full speed with lots of room before the first wave arrives. Same issue I find with Sheahan’s punts, lots of his directional ones have little hang time, and if he can’t bounce it past the returner, they have lots of room to get upfield fast before the cover team can arrive and have their lanes protected. So we can have distance but no hang time, or hang time but no distance, and either way it’s costing us field position. JMO from the cheap seats. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Just my take from the eye test, but looking at the kickoffs, Castillo can get a bit of air under them but then they are getting fielded at the 25 or better by the returner. The average kickoff return will come out at about 23 yards (min 21 max 25 looking at averages throughout the league this season) so with that we are giving teams the 45-50 yard line as a starting point consistently based on the averages. The target line should be the 40 given the move back 5 yards on the kickoff to the 30, so anything beyond the 40 yard line to start a drive is a fail.

Now Castillo’s average is actually 66 yards per kickoff, behind only Bede, so he has a leg, but it seems (as seen in the Edmonton return TD) that to get it deeper, like to the 12 yard line as he did on the TD play, he has to line drive it more, and the hang time is not there to get the cover team down the field, and the returner has a chance to get to full speed with lots of room before the first wave arrives. Same issue I find with Sheahan’s punts, lots of his directional ones have little hang time, and if he can’t bounce it past the returner, they have lots of room to get upfield fast before the cover team can arrive and have their lanes protected. So we can have distance but no hang time, or hang time but no distance, and either way it’s costing us field position. JMO from the cheap seats. 

Our punter and what he does....or what we trying to have him do is a serious flaw./issue and reason for 90% of our lousy coverage 

He also has no real leg to get us out of trouble as well...as seen in that game 2 weeks ago...why we kept him over the other global if that is where we wanted to use a global as well was odd...Schmidt had a way better leg and could really get some hangtime on his punts...to me us going that route with a global is a poor roster decision if he isn't in Grace calibre....We'd have been better served with Hansen and Karamoko....Mauro while Hansen was on the IR

54 minutes ago, do or die said:

Rose worries me....either giving huge cushion.....or having guys run by him. 

Opposition's go-to guy  right now....

Of ,both corners, hes by far the most worrisome. Sure not what he was in 19.

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

What I love about Dunnigan on commentary us he just straight up loves football and he's having a hell of a time getting to watch the game and talk about it.

Matty is awesome.....

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Our punter and what he does....or what we trying to have him do is a serious flaw./issue and reason for 90% of our lousy coverage 

He also has no real leg to get us out of trouble as well...as seen in that game 2 weeks ago...why we kept him over the other global if that is where we wanted to use a global as well was odd...Schmidt had a way better leg and could really get some hangtime on his punts...to me us going that route with a global is a poor roster decision if he isn't in Grace calibre....We'd have been better served with Hansen and Karamoko....Mauro while Hansen was on the IR

Yeah with the directional style he has, you have to be perfect everytime. I've always wanted to see teams try that more, but he doesn't seem to be the right person to get it done. 

11 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah with the directional style he has, you have to be perfect everytime. I've always wanted to see teams try that more, but he doesn't seem to be the right person to get it done. 

I'd hate to be the outside guy responsible for contain when he line drive his punt directly to the returner. 

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Last year at the end of one practice Holm, Parker, Ford, and Grant were all coaxed into a 40 yd dash race as the team cheered them on. Winner: Evan Holm by a hair. It was very, very close and from the stands you couldn't tell who won from all 4. However, Holm got all the high 5s from teammates afterwards.