Elks @ West Division Champs: The Game (that no longer matters) Day Thread

Noeller

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Last year at the end of one practice Holm, Parker, Ford, and Grant were all coaxed into a 40 yd dash race as the team cheered them on. Winner: Evan Holm by a hair. It was very, very close and from the stands you couldn't tell who won from all 4. However, Holm got all the high 5s from teammates afterwards.

interesting, but also a big difference in game speed, and speed with Ball.

Grants combine numbers in 40 arent dazzling....but game speed and with a ball....good luck with him as we have seen...Too bad Taylor was hurt as he would have beat em all

15 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

I really like both Parker and Holm. We’re a better team when both of them are on the field. Neither are Nichols level yet but I think both can get there.

Rose and Houston are the only two I will entertain criticism on. 

I wanna see Holm at safety next yr...Parker at Half.....with Nichols.....Idealy Ford at boundary.....Rose getting a lot of flack here lately....unfounded really...he has hardly been an issue.....Not willing to write off Lawrence yet either

6 hours ago, Booch said:

Grants combine numbers in 40 arent dazzling....but game speed and with a ball....good luck with him as we have seen...Too bad Taylor was hurt as he would have beat em all

Game speed and some fast guys aren’t 40 runners. Some guys are much faster 10/20 or 60/80 runners. 40 yards can fall between gears or some guys hit top speed too late. I find a lot of twitchy quick guys run 4.5 range. A guy like schoen has his speed line up perfectly for the 40. Iirc he’s our fastest wr by a lot in the 40. Have him race grant in a 60/80/100 and grant smokes him. Same in a 10/20. Not digging schoen by any means. He’s perfect for a certain range and incredibly good at playing that range. 

52 minutes ago, Booch said:

I wanna see Holm at safety next yr...Parker at Half.....with Nichols.....Idealy Ford at boundary.....Rose getting a lot of flack here lately....unfounded really...he has hardly been an issue.....Not willing to write off Lawrence yet either

wasn’t holm mostly a S in college too or am I confused? I think he or Parker would  be excellent at s. But it is also great to have guys like that at Sam to chip in with the run game. 
 I really want to see us move on from some vets in the secondary next year. We know they can find turn key dbs in the league and in college. I love some of the vet dbs and what they’ve done for us and the mentality but yeah time to go young. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Game speed and some fast guys aren’t 40 runners. Some guys are much faster 10/20 or 60/80 runners. 40 yards can fall between gears or some guys hit top speed too late. I find a lot of twitchy quick guys run 4.5 range. A guy like schoen has his speed line up perfectly for the 40. Iirc he’s our fastest wr by a lot in the 40. Have him race grant in a 60/80/100 and grant smokes him. Same in a 10/20. Not digging schoen by any means. He’s perfect for a certain range and incredibly good at playing that range. 

wasn’t holm mostly a S in college too or am I confused? I think he or Parker would  be excellent at s. But it is also great to have guys like that at Sam to chip in with the run game. 
 I really want to see us move on from some vets in the secondary next year. We know they can find turn key dbs in the league and in college. I love some of the vet dbs and what they’ve done for us and the mentality but yeah time to go young. 

He was corner

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thought Fancy feet was as  well....he would perform better further away from the L.O.S and if he has this speed, and quick feet to change direction....Safety would be perfect spot for him to be the over the top help, or if he has the eyes....jump routes and be a 8-10 pick guy a year.

He just isnt as effective in the heavy slugging of SAM and HB, and would be better served at Safety...He got the HB spot by default this yr due to Parker's injury....and partly from being a holder over from last year .....I'm not a hater on the guy....Just don't see him as a true HB.....he's a safety option and the way league is going a big hitter there is becoming a detriment...due to penalty calls

Back to speed....on the field the diff with a 4.3/4.4 guy is easily negated by a 4.5..4.6 guy in when the slower timed guy hits top speed in 3 steps...and doent wind up to it....u get a step or 2....those small gaps in time are not over come

4 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

He was corner

he was a FS...also for his draft prospective was classified as one as well...

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

Thought Fancy feet was as  well....he would perform better further away from the L.O.S and if he has this speed, and quick feet to change direction....Safety would be perfect spot for him to be the over the top help, or if he has the eyes....jump routes and be a 8-10 pick guy a year.

He just isnt as effective in the heavy slugging of SAM and HB, and would be better served at Safety...He got the HB spot by default this yr due to Parker's injury....and partly from being a holder over from last year .....I'm not a hater on the guy....Just don't see him as a true HB.....he's a safety option and the way league is going a big hitter there is becoming a detriment...due to penalty calls

Back to speed....on the field the diff with a 4.3/4.4 guy is easily negated by a 4.5..4.6 guy in when the slower timed guy hits top speed in 3 steps...and doent wind up to it....u get a step or 2....those small gaps in time are not over come

he was a FS...also for his draft prospective was classified as one as well...

He was a corner. Never once played safety at und. He went into the draft at safety probably by advice of his agent 

our safety’s at und during his time were Cole Reyes, then Canady / galvin. I might be forgetting one in the middle but holm was always corner and special teams. 

Edited by Bombertown

10 hours ago, Booch said:

No doubt. Straight line speed is not football speed

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Rose has been mostly good imo.

5 hours ago, Bombertown said:

I really like both Parker and Holm. We’re a better team when both of them are on the field. Neither are Nichols level yet but I think both can get there.

Rose and Houston are the only two I will entertain criticism on. 

I don't think Bomber fans have much to complain about in our secondary tbh, and the stats back that up. Best in the league.

I'm a very results oriented big picture guy tho so I tend not to be too critical of the odd mistakes people make. Players..coaches..they are not infallible and all screw up. I like to look at the entire body of work and the end results. Just me tho.

Edited by GCn20

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don't think Bomber fans have much to complain about in our secondary tbh, and the stats back that up. Best in the league.

I'm a very results oriented big picture guy tho so I tend not to be too critical of the odd mistakes people make. Players..coaches..they are not infallible and all screw up. I like to look at the entire body of work and the end results. Just me tho.

I don’t think rose has been necessarily bad, but he’s not the all star he’s been hyped up to be. Just overrated imo.