Site Slow Down and Issues

Rich

• Rich pinned this topic
50 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

Seems a lot better (for me at least) today, which means it's likely fixed :)

Thanks @Rich!

I haven't actually done anything to fix it.

I've been keeping on eye on some monitoring of the server, there was an intermittent database process that was pinning CPU usage (and spiking disk access) to above 100% when we typically average below 50%.  That was what was causing the slowdowns or freezes.  I would reset the virtual environment when I noticed the site was unresponsive and it would fix it temporarily.

I haven't had time to dig further into which query was actually causing it.  That would have been my next step to address it, but today we look to be back at typical CPU usage.  So, all the better for me, if this just fixed itself.  

I still need to do some digging just to make sure someone hasn't hacked the server and is mining bitcoin or something

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I haven't actually done anything to fix it.

I've been keeping on eye on some monitoring of the server, there was an intermittent database process that was pinning CPU usage (and spiking disk access) to above 100% when we typically average below 50%.  That was what was causing the slowdowns or freezes.  I would reset the virtual environment when I noticed the site was unresponsive and it would fix it temporarily.

I haven't had time to dig further into which query was actually causing it.  That would have been my next step to address it, but today we look to be back at typical CPU usage.  So, all the better for me, if this just fixed itself.  

I still need to do some digging just to make sure someone hasn't hacked the server and is mining bitcoin or something

Mining bitcoin? As the most non IT guy you could ever meet, what the F does that mean?

Nevermind, I'm sure I wouldn't understand your answer anyways.

Thanks for your continued volunteer support on this site that provides me with joy and a bit of an escape from adulting.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Fingers crossed this may now be resolved.    

In terms of cpu and disk usage, everything has been back to normal levels for the last 6 or 7 hours.  If this lasts through the day, I'd say we are good.

Rock star.  Thanks Rich.  Without this site, it's just work all day long.

41 minutes ago, Rich said:

Fingers crossed this may now be resolved.    

In terms of cpu and disk usage, everything has been back to normal levels for the last 6 or 7 hours.  If this lasts through the day, I'd say we are good.

Thanks @Rich, I know I speak for many on here when I say that we really appreciate everything you do- thank you for all your hard work.

This an awesome community that you've created here.

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

On 2023-08-10 at 5:25 PM, HardCoreBlue said:

Mining bitcoin? As the most non IT guy you could ever meet, what the F does that mean?

Bitcoin like any Crypto-currency requires a lot of computer power.    If you know anyone that runs a Cryto-rig, they usually have several dedicated computers to do perform the operations needed to make their various transactions.  To simplify it, think of these "transactions"  like earning a penny for each successful one.    So the more transactions you do, the more  money you get.  Similar to how you would mine for gold in the olden days, the computer is a pickaxe, the internet is the mine.  So each computer is a miner.

What malicious people do (e.g. hackers), is they try to find insecure servers.   Once the hacker breaks into the computer, they installs the crypto-software, on the compromised server, and turns that into another one of it's miners.   The crypto-software essentially takes over the computer, and slows down everything on the machine (e.g. like the website running this form), turning this computer now into another miner for Bitcoin.

Hope that explains things in non-IT terms :)

@Rich thanks for getting the site back up!

49 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

Bitcoin like any Crypto-currency requires a lot of computer power.    If you know anyone that runs a Cryto-rig, they usually have several dedicated computers to do perform the operations needed to make their various transactions.  To simplify it, think of these "transactions"  like earning a penny for each successful one.    So the more transactions you do, the more  money you get.  Similar to how you would mine for gold in the olden days, the computer is a pickaxe, the internet is the mine.  So each computer is a miner.

What malicious people do (e.g. hackers), is they try to find insecure servers.   Once the hacker breaks into the computer, they installs the crypto-software, on the compromised server, and turns that into another one of it's miners.   The crypto-software essentially takes over the computer, and slows down everything on the machine (e.g. like the website running this form), turning this computer now into another miner for Bitcoin.

Hope that explains things in non-IT terms :)

@Rich thanks for getting the site back up!

Wow you’re s.m.r.t.

:)

• Rich unpinned this topic