Week 9 - Lions @ Blue Bombers - GDT

JCon

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

so after reading through all this... I just wanted to post a "middle ground" take on the roster management stuff...........

On one hand, you have Booch losing his mind at the roster management every week and flat out saying "I hope we lose this week to prove a point", and then you have posters like GCn20 and Mr P laughing after a win and mocking anyone who questions the roster management. But here's the thing: there's a middle ground. 

There is absolutely zero question we have a major issue with lack of depth along the DL. I can 100% see how that could cost us down the road. Bennett is not good and certainly not good enough to be an ever-down player if/when Jeffcoat gets hurt again. As JBR rightly mentioned, JJ is already labouring and it's only August. We need him close to 100% in November. Haba would be really nice right about now, but if he's out for a significant amount of time, we NEED more pieces along the line. If we're sitting guys on the PR who could help the DL rotation because they insist on having others on the roster who don't really play.......that's a real issue. 

So it's impossible to argue intelligently that there aren't roster management issues..... but you can still have faith in The Trinity and still hope for a win each and every week, and hope that the worst case scenario doesn't come to pass. 

There is a middle ground here. 

I agree but i will add...and i cannot understand why anyone would argue this,anyone that wins more than one pro championship in any league how could you possibly state they are not a good coach? Maybe their attitude changes or they lose touch with players but in my book any multiple winning championship coach has proven himself.🤨 sorry promise to leave at that.

4 minutes ago, bb1 said:

I agree but i will add...and i cannot understand why anyone would argue this,anyone that wins more than one pro championship in any league how could you possibly state they are not a good coach? Maybe their attitude changes or they lose touch with players but in my book any multiple winning championship coach has proven himself.🤨 sorry promise to leave at that.

Nobody is saying he's a bad coach. They're saying that we're not putting together the weekly roster properly... And you can't really deny that. Refusing to roster enough DL could absolutely cost us games... It's playing with fire. O'Shea is awesome, but how the game day roster is built has been a flaw this year.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We have no idea when Grant will be back.

Nope. But we never know when injured guys will be back. 
 It would be a good time to bring back a camp cut. Salima was the best in pre season though with limited reps, a bigger rb who can catch and kr.  Vance Barnes was a returner, rb and wr. tazawn Henry another diminutive rb , barely got touches in pre season but he’s a rb, returner, and caught a lot of passes in college. 

Especially if gmc is out for a bit, but in general we need rb and kr depth. 

On 2023-08-04 at 6:44 AM, Mike said:

You don’t think it will cost us games? Wouldn’t the Ottawa game be a perfect example?

Perfect example of twisting a narrative to suit your point. If either one of Schoen not dropping that deep pass for a sure touchdown, or Zach not throwing behind Woli late in the fourth happens, we win the game. That's a 14 point swing and has absolutely nothing to do with game day roster management.

But you can also see, logically, how the lack of DL rotation had the line gassed in the 4th and arguably cost us in a tight game.......? I don't disagree that we should have won that game "going away" but the fact is it was tight at the end, and if our DL was fresher, there's a good chance they shut Crum down on those runs. It's both things being discussed here. 

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

But you can also see, logically, how the lack of DL rotation had the line gassed in the 4th and arguably cost us in a tight game.......? I don't disagree that we should have won that game "going away" but the fact is it was tight at the end, and if our DL was fresher, there's a good chance they shut Crum down on those runs. It's both things being discussed here. 

Lots of things went wrong that drive. Absurdly soft coverage by both corners allowed Crum to play pitch and catch on that series, and Bighill's absolute comical whiff at the 10 yard line (or so) on Crum were brutal. I just think blaming that game as a whole on roster management when you consider everything that happened that game, IMO, is an extreme exaggeration.

Time and time again, O'Shea preaches execution. If we do our job and execute, the game isn't close.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Lots of things went wrong that drive. Absurdly soft coverage by both corners allowed Crum to play pitch and catch on that series, and Bighill's absolute comical whiff at the 10 yard line (or so) on Crum were brutal. I just think blaming that game as a whole on roster management when you consider everything that happened that game, IMO, is an extreme exaggeration.

Time and time again, O'Shea preaches execution. If we do our job and execute, the game isn't close.

I agree.  The roster management complaint is a minor issue, a mountain out of a molehill, IMO. I understand why the detractors have concerns but they are blowing it out of proportion.

17 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Walleye? Did you mean Pickerel? It appears there might be a Roughriders fan who's spying on our board!

Dude...you wanna meet me in Grand Rapids (halfway) and say that to my face? Lmao..jk

You are right pickerel. However, I've been fishing with Americans quite a bit this year helping the lodge out, as they are short on guides. Got used to saying walleye I guess.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

All true Noeller, but our lack of execution earlier in the game is what cost us the victory. Our defence being gassed was only a factor after we had already **** the bed. Roster management has been an issue all year. I certainly agree that it is worthy of criticism. I just don't agree that it is something that is so egregious that it will cost us games, nor do I believe it cost us the Ottawa game. We made mistake after mistake, pick 6...dropped TD..poor play calling...to suggest that it came down to roster management.

Edited by GCn20

Not the first time it's happened... didn't Darvin do it one time a few years back? Don't remember a fine for that.... but who knows. It's a slippery slope with this kind of thing. This time, it was in good fun, but maybe next time someone takes it too far and even breaks something...? You have to be careful with it...

59 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Yeah there's about 10 plays a game that determine the outcome usually.  If you can have fresh guys pursuing a running QB on two of them, probably win that one.  If Schoen catches the ball, if Oliviera doesn't fumble, if no pick six.  Each and every one increases your chance of winning, right?

The point is when you have McCrae mostly standing on the sidelines (or bobbling punts), Jackson mostly standing on the sidelines and you could potentially actually have an impactful player out on the field for those big plays, or have your Jefferson/Jeffcoats out there at 80% energy instead of 40%, you've increased your chances of making one of the plays to win the game.  The chances of the guys doing their job and executing increases when you have better players on the field as close to full capability as possible in a football game.

If you make the choice to have more or less dead spots on your roster with a shallow DL but the luxury of having a couple Americans with very little role on O on top of an American kicker (obviously needed but has consequences through the roster), you've handicapped yourself and made the margin to victory thinner.

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Roster management seems to be the only topic for quite a while.

I am not saying there is no problem with it. Just

there must be at least a few other things of interest. 

Kind of grinding it to a fine pulp.

Collaros being the only MOP candidate through the first half of the season.  I can't even imagine casting a vote for someone else.

There's no QB's close to him.  There's no RB's or receivers having exceptional seasons, I guess pending what Lawler can put up with Collaros and Schoen in a little more than half a season.

Betts and Jefferson on D are having great seasons but don't think they'll be in the MOP discussion.