3 stars plus hh bc kicked our @$$

wbbfan

Everyone here, myself included assumed the Bombers would easily win the West. As did most fans on every other team. As did the media. And apparently so did the Blue Bomber players. It looked like the idea that they would cruise easily back into the Grey Cup had crept into their mindset. Well they and we just got served a huge slice of humble pie. We've got some stiff competition.  There is nothing like a good old ass whooping to open your eyes. They've got some work to do. Let's see how they respond now.

Was one of those nights where nothing went right for the O:

1. For sure two deep passes that were open, but the pass was just a few yards overthrown

2. VAJ got super lucky and had a fumble bounce right back into his hands

3. I think long term this is actually good to get smacked in the mouth this early in the season.

Regroup and move on.

Every team loses but to be clown pounded like that with no pushback while looking slow and old at home no less is concerning. Even more concerning is our defense making mediocre QB's look like hall of famers two weeks in a row now. Looked like Richie Hall pulled out his 2015 playbook last night. Physically slapped around and outplayed all night. A lot of guys need to give their nuts a tug.

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Was one of those nights where nothing went right for the O:

1. For sure two deep passes that were open, but the pass was just a few yards overthrown

2. VAJ got super lucky and had a fumble bounce right back into his hands

3. I think long term this is actually good to get smacked in the mouth this early in the season.

Regroup and move on.

Humbling. 

Grant - Never gave up and just gives er

Agudosi - for coming back and taking down the DB who Demski handed the ball off to

Haba -  Good motor, and getting better and better

Everything else was basically garbage....Not seeing or jumping on the "we looked old and slow" bandwagon as thats not what it was that I saw...Was a piss poor performance I think we figured we could mail in...And B.C came in hungry and fed us our lunch...like we have been doing to teams last 3 years....Was it a one off...we shall see and I truly think so and even great teams need a wake up call and to kick them out of complacency

That being said...we definitely need to fix a few positions pronto, and inject some hungry mofo's....and Osh needs to get his head out of his arse and put a more rounded roster out there...if that means dumoing some PR guys for ones that can help tis team...then so be it...But Parker and Rose cant get back fast enough...and Mouhamed needs to be inserted if for any thing his physicality and just some new blood....As it stands other than BA we need some thumpers and tackling machines....guys with some presence in the DB group...And I think the Walker by default rostering experiment should be shelved for now....he just doesnt seem to have any spark....Love Jackson but he is a waste out there even with Miller out....Roster a big...mean hungry young dtackle instead, or another end that teams need to keep eye on...Cause Bennett just doesnt have it...Jake is old and almost useless now, and Schmeckle or whatever he goes by is useless and shouldn't even be on a pro roster.

Maybe even for a few games give Castillo all 3 jobs, and get another DI as a dlineman or DB on the roster

to rotate in and or fill in for a guy who is sucking...or is injured...Kramdi albeit is a good teamer,..but when he came in for Darby because thats our only option, we sucked even harder than we were sucking...which is really hard to do as we were really sucking....we have too many strictly "teamer" guys who by default get to be the back-up but truthfully aren't good enough for full time duty....roster re-jigging is needed slightly, tho I hold out hope that one Jeffcoat (if he can stay outta the tub) Wilson..Hansen..Rose and Parker will make a difference...

Osh needs to shelve this loyalty to guys who been here a bit and or are Canadian to prove his point and pride in his nationality and allow/let best players play, cause as I see it we are not doing that...and last night was a prime example

Edited by Booch

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

at being said...we definitely need to fix a few positions pronto, and inject some hungry mofo's....and Osh needs to get his head out of his arse and put a more rounded roster out there...if that means dumoing some PR guys for ones that can help tis team...then so be it...But Parker and Rose cant get back fast enough...and Mouhamed needs to be inserted if for any thing his physicality and just some new blood....As it stands other than BA we need some thumpers and tackling machines....guys with some presence in the DB group...And I think the Walker by default rostering experiment should be shelved for now....he just doesnt seem to have any spark....Love Jackson but he is a waste out there even with Miller out....Roster a big...mean hungry young dtackle instead, or another end that teams need to keep eye on...Cause Bennett just doesnt have it...Jake is old and almost useless now, and Schmeckle or whatever he goes by is useless and shouldn't even be on a pro roster.

Maybe even for a few games give Castillo all 3 jobs, and get another DI as a dlineman or DB on the roster

to rotate in and or fill in for a guy who is sucking...or is injured...Kramdi albeit is a good teamer,..but when he came in for Darby because thats our only option, we sucked even harder than we were sucking...which is really hard to do as we were really sucking....we have too many strictly "teamer" guys who by default get to be the back-up but truthfully aren't good enough for full time duty....roster re-jigging is needed slightly, tho I hold out hope that one Jeffcoat (if he can stay outta the tub) Wilson..Hansen..Rose and Parker will make a difference...

Osh needs to shelve this loyalty to guys who been here a bit and or are Canadian to prove his point and price in his nationality and allow/let best players play, cause as I see it we are not doing that...and last night was a prime example

This is it. We have too many guys on the roster just for special teams.

And as someone mentioned yesterday, it's not like our special teams are doing anything amazing out there.

Sit some linebackers down. Get an extra DB and DL in there.

(Though, again, this game was all about our offence getting blown out of the water, imo).

Putting my armchair GM hat... 

DT Walker needs to go. Bring back DT Caleb Thomas and rotate him with Fox. 

CB Lawrence needs to go (or back to PR). Move Houston to that corner or maybe Muhammad. I'll give Daramy-Swaray another start on the other corner. I think he improved as the game progressed last night. 

What's up with the Lawler issue? 

As much as I like Damian Jackson story and I've been rooting for him since the beginning. I think him in the roster is hurting our depth. Unless he gets looks on the DE, time to use that DA position on another DB. Pickup a Canadian fullback, shouldn't be that hard. 

If next game our OL sucks again, time to make some changes.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

CB Lawrence needs to go (or back to PR). Move Houston to that corner or maybe Muhammad. I'll give Daramy-Swaray another start on the other corner. I think he improved as the game progresses last night. 

As much as I like Damian Jackson story and I've been rooting for him since the beginning. I think him in the roster is hurting our depth. Unless he gets looks on the DE, time to use that DA position on another DB. Pickup a Canadian fullback, shouldn't be that hard. 

If next game, or OL suck again, time to make some changes.

Oline didnt suck as much as what ever our game plan was just left them hung out to dry where BC could jut go after the QB...first drive we ran a good mix of run and short passing...after that nothing of the sort...wheres the short passing game...quick hitters..slants...jet sweeps....BC seen we were not doing that and pinned ears back...BC nickle and dimed us to death....didnt allow The VAJ to have to sit back there and let his plays run through progressions and just took what we gave em...and couple that with prob 90 percent of time if you go back and look our DB's all 8 to 10 yards off the L.O.S and next to no press coverage...well you see what happened..Funny part of this all is our offence is perfectly suited to play this type of game and totally kill teams with guys we have ....question is...was it ZC choosing to not take that and force things....Or was it Buck having the primary guy the deeper option...we will never know, but I can chalk this up to a learning experience and a good lesson....and I doubt we see that tripe again

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

back...BC nickle and dimed us to death....didnt allow The VAJ to have to sit back there and let his plays run through progressions and just took what we gave em...and couple that with prob 90 percent of time if you go back and look our DB's all 8 to 10 yards off the L.O.S and next to no press coverage...well you see what happened..

#RitchieHallProblems

Same as it ever was. Really relies on the offense doing its part for TOP.

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

Oline didnt suck as much as what ever our game plan was just left them hung out to dry where BC could jut go after the QB...first drive we ran a good mix of run and short passing...after that nothing of the sort...wheres the short passing game...quick hitters..slants...jet sweeps....BC seen we were not doing that and pinned ears back...BC nickle and dimed us to death....didnt allow The VAJ to have to sit back there and let his plays run through progressions and just took what we gave em...and couple that with prob 90 percent of time if you go back and look our DB's all 8 to 10 yards off the L.O.S and next to no press coverage...well you see what happened..Funny part of this all is our offence is perfectly suited to play this type of game and totally kill teams with guys we have ....question is...was it ZC choosing to not take that and force things....Or was it Buck having the primary guy the deeper option...we will never know, but I can chalk this up to a learning experience and a good lesson....and I doubt we see that tripe again

O-line definitely wasn't themselves last night. But you're right, Buck played right into the strengths of the BC Lions. They're just a fast team, plain and simple. Not overly physical (especially on the d-line). You have to be able to run the ball against them. We were doing that, and then we stopped. And then we doubled down on not running the ball. And then it was too late.

I'm not sure how I feel about Agudosi right now. He could have been that guy to really change the complexion of our passing attack. He isn't making the plays he needs to make. But they also ignore him for most of the game too.

And with Bailey...if you're not going to commit to the run, then you're wasting his talents as well. The game plan just stunk.

As for our defense, I don't think it's accurate to say that they "nickel and dimed us". They were taking big yards, especially from our corners. At times we were nowhere near them. This is a trend. We weren't getting home (d-ends playing contain on VA) and he was getting the ball out just in time to wide open targets. Darby, Rose, Parker, Houston were all out last night, so I'll assume we can improve a lot here.

25 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

CB Lawrence needs to go (or back to PR). Move Houston to that corner or maybe Muhammad. I'll give Daramy-Swaray another start on the other corner. I think he improved as the game progressed last night. 

If next game our OL sucks again, time to make some changes.

Dude - It's one game. Check yourself.

The random DT that our coaching staff let go is not going to be an improvement. 

We've lost Rose, Parker, and Houston out of our secondary. We're scrapping the bottom of the depth chart and just have to live through it. Not much we can do there until our starters come back.

We've had the best OL in the game for years. Including the first two weeks of the season. A one off game and you're talking about changes? That's absolutely crazy.

Aussie punter. No barbie for him. Or Grant. But straight to the barbie for failure to tackle by our special teams the whole game. (Edit to add that Hallett looked good on ST speed)

Our Nichols and Holm were the only guys in the secondary that looked good. Everyone else was trying to do too much..ba, Darby, Lawrence, abu…yikes I think I named just about everyone else…

Aba and Clements looked good again. Have liked their effort. 

I don’t know enough about Canadian offense to have a strong opinion about why our waggle wasn’t wagglin…but yikes all around on O last night. Always sad to see a QB get tossed like that. I’m a huge Brady fan, wish they’d have ran more, considering passing was a no go. 

Is that 3 games without using Piggy? Why use our qb2 on short yardage.. it’s like they don’t trust him since his last show

Edited by Bombertown

1 hour ago, Booch said:

We kept running some overly complex hail break screen and toss stuff or trying to. It frequently left collaros up a creek. 
 After half thought the bc dl had momentum and the bombers ol were on their heels. Guys got them styled often after that.  I expect we will get the ol sorted out with our guys. They were tremendous the weeks prior. I think it was bad game planning and credit to bc they are tremendous at getting after the qb. 

on D I think it’s half and half. Half personnel and half game Plan. We stayed in a too deep zone and just let va play pitch and catch all day. Which is what he’s good at and what the bc offence wants to do. They got the ball out too quick to rush and our secondary just sat back. 
 When the secondary was in position only holm played well. Nichols had a play or two. But Lawrence darby and abu SD were trash. I’m not going to bother to learn asd spelling or name cus his ass should be gone. 

we need roster changes in the secondary(why does that happen every year that we start out with some crap dbs starting and take a few weeks to make changes?) and mos needs to sit down with hall again like early 19 and make some adjustments. It’s fine to keep the wr in front of you but you can’t give a 10+ yard cushion every time. And you can’t get caught up blitzing 5-6 all the time. We aren’t good at it. 
 Walker should be gone too. Like previously said bring back Thomas give fox meaningful reps goodson is still on the suspended list too. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Coaches, players, they all had a bad night at the office. On to next week. Let the lions strut about and preen. It's one game early in the year. 

Like some one said it’s gonna happen better to have it happen in week 3 than ld or the play offs. That said every thing we will need to know about this team will be said by the way they perform and especially start next week.

I expect them to start like their hair is on fire and play a complete game. If they don’t respond well then it’ll be time for serious changes. 

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

O-line definitely wasn't themselves last night. But you're right, Buck played right into the strengths of the BC Lions. They're just a fast team, plain and simple. Not overly physical (especially on the d-line). You have to be able to run the ball against them. We were doing that, and then we stopped. And then we doubled down on not running the ball. And then it was too late.

I'm not sure how I feel about Agudosi right now. He could have been that guy to really change the complexion of our passing attack. He isn't making the plays he needs to make. But they also ignore him for most of the game too.

And with Bailey...if you're not going to commit to the run, then you're wasting his talents as well. The game plan just stunk.

As for our defense, I don't think it's accurate to say that they "nickel and dimed us". They were taking big yards, especially from our corners. At times we were nowhere near them. This is a trend. We weren't getting home (d-ends playing contain on VA) and he was getting the ball out just in time to wide open targets. Darby, Rose, Parker, Houston were all out last night, so I'll assume we can improve a lot here.

If Houston wants to keep his job he'd better get his butt back to Wpg. pronto.  All requests for extra "me days" will be denied, players are strongly advised to sort their **** out during the off-season.  Believe it or not, makin' babies can and should be planned.

Edited by Fatty Liver

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

A few things for me on the offense...

There's a 0% chance the Bombers are running any called run plays for Collaros.  So why would we ever go empty backfield?  Why would we ever go empty backfield with no jet or orbit motion through the backfield or coming behind Collaros?  Now all 12 players on the defense KNOW 100% we are passing from the pocket if we are empty with no motion.  HUGE advantage for the pass rush we're just handing over.   Especially when you're 15-30 minutes in to this game and you realize that the BC DL is killing our tackles with speed rush.

Oliviera was gashing them over and over, and then we go empty a bunch.  Don't like it.  That's a schematic flaw, poor execution by a playcaller.  Shouldn't even have empty plays on the call sheet.  Now plays where Oliviera motions out to lead block or seal edge for a jet sweep...nice play.

Where was Augustine?  He needs a role in the offense.  He's not an every down player, but he's useful.  If they don't think he is, get an American back on and with the new rules we can slip him in almost half the time without subbing out an American.  Agudosi can sit.  He has exactly one route he can get open on and his hands are suspect.  Nice luxury piece, but not bringing anything we're missing and BOLO/Murphy will be fine as our 5th option.  We need the help in the backfield.  If not RB, we need another American DB, DE, LB on the roster.

Where's the option run package?  Hallmark of the success of this offense.  Streveler, even Prukop, the change of pace set, the stuff where you just get the OL and everyone rolling people over, the stuff the D can't really prep for.  Pigrome can be a weapon.

I think our D is extremely out of sync, very young, very new to each other and in many cases Canadian football.  Lots of work for the coaches there.  No depth and that makes it way harder because we have at least a couple guys who are likely not CFL level players out there and maybe more as we get more of a look.  Bennett shouldn't be out there, both corners were terrible.  Fox and Schmekel aren't getting many reps so we're running the starting DL into the ground which doesn't really fit what has made this overall scheme successful back to when Hall arrived here.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Where was Augustine?  He needs a role in the offense.  He's not an every down player, but he's useful.

Actually this is a good point. Considering some of the holes the run game was getting a back like Augustine might have been able to make some big things happen if used.