Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Good luck with that. Besides, how many of you were in 110% favour of the Cone of Silence from the Bombers when it comes to injuries? Saying it's none of our business knowing the injury status of players due to privacy?? Now, some of the same posters who lecture others on player privacy expect an update on a federal legal matter of a player dealing with his right to work in this country? You can't have it both ways.

So, I'll just say what I've been told here rather impolitely by some when I complained the Bombers never tell us the injury status of players. As in, mind your own damned business. Just leave Lawler alone. Quit asking questions & complaining about a lack of updates on his status. It's a private matter between Lawler & federal authorities. He deserves his privacy & It'll be resolved when it's resolved. 

Not picking on you, rebusrakin but some here are total idiots telling others to lay off. Like I was told. I'm just laughing knowing it's some of the same posters who criticized me that just want to know... Sooooo. Bad. Well, suck it up. 

Lighten up, you old fart

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've always liked this look. 

30 Montreal Allouettes ideas | montreal, montreal alouettes, canadian  football

30 Montreal Allouettes ideas | montreal, montreal alouettes, canadian  football 

Throwbacks 2010. 

This post and along with the week's "Battle of Steubenville" contest (Collaros vs Najee Murray) brings to mind a sad story of another Steuby grad with Canadian experience, Calvin Jones. Cal was an All-State, All-American 1955 Outland Trophy winner with the Iowa Hawkeyes. When the Winnipeg Blue Bombers offered him MORE money than the NFL, he went north. Calvin had a good year and made the league all-star team. He slept in and missed his morning flight home, taking a later plane. It crashed leaving no survivors. Jones is celebrated in his home town with a monument outside venerable (1933) Harding Stadium. His storied rival in college was Ohio State's Jim Parker who went on to a HOF career with the Baltimore Colts. Cal was the first African-American to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine, and his number is one of only two to be retired at Iowa, the other being that of legendary Nile Kinnick. Steubenville kids all know his story and are inspired to this day.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Good luck with that. Besides, how many of you were in 110% favour of the Cone of Silence from the Bombers when it comes to injuries? Saying it's none of our business knowing the injury status of players due to privacy?? Now, some of the same posters who lecture others on player privacy expect an update on a federal legal matter of a player dealing with his right to work in this country? You can't have it both ways.

So, I'll just say what I've been told here rather impolitely by some when I complained the Bombers never tell us the injury status of players. As in, mind your own damned business. Just leave Lawler alone. Quit asking questions & complaining about a lack of updates on his status. It's a private matter between Lawler & federal authorities. He deserves his privacy & It'll be resolved when it's resolved. 

Not picking on you, rebusrakin but some here are total idiots telling others to lay off. Like I was told. I'm just laughing knowing it's some of the same posters who criticized me that just want to know... Sooooo. Bad. Well, suck it up. 

To be fair injuries are not the same as legal issues. One is a private matter one is a matter of public record. 
 Some value exists in giving athletes privacy when it comes to injuries. It can protect them from cheap shots designed to knock them back out etc. but try to find another pro league where you don’t get that info. 
 To an extent this reduction in privacy comes from getting to make very good money playing a game for a living. Cfl guys don’t make that great money, so it’s understandable to give them more privacy. But zero updates until they are on the field or the season is over is bad for the game. 

Just saw on Twitter that apparently the Freep did an interview with Wade Miller in Sunday's paper, and apparently one of the topics discussed was Kenny Lawler. 

It was unfortunate behind the pay wall that they use - Did anyone read it/able to paraphrase what was said about Kenny or the article as a whole as I believe other topics were discussed as well.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Just saw on Twitter that apparently the Freep did an interview with Wade Miller in Sunday's paper, and apparently one of the topics discussed was Kenny Lawler. 

It was unfortunate behind the pay wall that they use - Did anyone read it/able to paraphrase what was said about Kenny or the article as a whole as I believe other topics were discussed as well.

"The Bombers had originally predicted Lawler, who signed a two-year deal over the offseason, would be back somewhere between three and four weeks. That timeline has now passed, with next week marking a potentially fifth straight week Lawler could be sidelined, and there’s been little as far as updates from the team.

“It remains a work in progress,” Miller said. “It’s just taking a little bit longer than everybody thought it would. We hope to get a resolution very shortly.”

Miller said the process is a time-consuming one and there’s nothing the club can do to speed it up. Lawler isn’t permitted to be with the team while he occupies a spot on the club’s suspended list but has been staying in shape and wouldn’t require much to be inserted back into the lineup.

Miller said Lawler’s spirits remain high and he’s eager to rejoin the team and contribute both on and off the field, with community work already something he and the Bombers had been discussing before news broke of his current situation. As far as giving back to the community, Lawler hopes to run a football camp for kids over the first bye week, assuming everything can get figured out, which isn’t a guarantee just yet."

16 hours ago, CFL Convert from Ohio said:

This post and along with the week's "Battle of Steubenville" contest (Collaros vs Najee Murray) brings to mind a sad story of another Steuby grad with Canadian experience, Calvin Jones. Cal was an All-State, All-American 1955 Outland Trophy winner with the Iowa Hawkeyes. When the Winnipeg Blue Bombers offered him MORE money than the NFL, he went north. Calvin had a good year and made the league all-star team. He slept in and missed his morning flight home, taking a later plane. It crashed leaving no survivors. Jones is celebrated in his home town with a monument outside venerable (1933) Harding Stadium. His storied rival in college was Ohio State's Jim Parker who went on to a HOF career with the Baltimore Colts. Cal was the first African-American to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine, and his number is one of only two to be retired at Iowa, the other being that of legendary Nile Kinnick. Steubenville kids all know his story and are inspired to this day.

CFL Convert - not sure if you ever saw this "Engraved on a Nation" documentary that TSN did on that plane crash, but you might find it interesting.  We have not forgotten here in Canada about that tragic event.

Apologies - all I can find is the trailer on Youtube.  Not sure if these episodes can still be found online anywhere.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

CFL Convert - not sure if you ever saw this "Engraved on a Nation" documentary that TSN did on that plane crash, but you might find it interesting.  We have not forgotten here in Canada about that tragic event.

Apologies - all I can find is the trailer on Youtube.  Not sure if these episodes can still be found online anywhere.

I had no idea it

existed. Thanks for letting me know.

After witnessing the formidable power of the Winnipeg offense in recent games, I can't help but wonder if investing Kenny Lawler's free agent pay day in strengthening the defense wouldn't have been a wiser choice. A stronger defensive unit could have provided a balanced foundation to complement our explosive offense. Alas, such are the results the universe has chosen for us, and we will make the most of the team we have. 

1 hour ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

After witnessing the formidable power of the Winnipeg offense in recent games, I can't help but wonder if investing Kenny Lawler's free agent pay day in strengthening the defense wouldn't have been a wiser choice. A stronger defensive unit could have provided a balanced foundation to complement our explosive offense. Alas, such are the results the universe has chosen for us, and we will make the most of the team we have. 

When we get all our bodies back...we will be just fine when we sort out which ones play where

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

When we get all our bodies back...we will be just fine when we sort out which ones play where

Idk if one or two players were available that would’ve made a big difference on D. A lot of guys resigned early. 
Besides lawler on that bread and butter deep out adds a huge wrinkle to our attack. 

1 hour ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

If we had Lawler at the end of last year we'd be talking about a 4peet. He's a game breaking receiver

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Some may come back, but others will go out.

Waiting to get healthy is a bit of a fool's game in football.

14 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

I disagree. When a player like Lawler wants to come back you bring him back. He is one of a handful of guys in this league that can bust a game wide open. His return will make life miserable for any team we face. I am not sure how any team can even game plan against our receiving crew when that happens. Plus, our defensive woes are a direct result of basically all our secondary being wiped out with injury before the season started. When we get studs like Parker, Rose, and some depth on the DL like Hansen back things will look differently on defence.

12 hours ago, Jesse said:

Some may come back, but others will go out.

Waiting to get healthy is a bit of a fool's game in football.

True, but when injuries pile up at one position group it affects play of that group. We can withstand injuries if they are spread out but it's hard to overcome 75% of your starters being out at a position group.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

yup....basically....he shouldnt even have been out there...but it is what it is

He was still our best chance to win, and we almost did despite the fact our QB basically was numb from the knee down.