Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

acting like the Bombers are the only team to cut quality players only to see them reappear on other teams is weird. It's football. Some players just fit better with other teams/playbooks/schemes/needs etc etc etc. This isn't a problem and it certainly isn't a MOS only problem. It happens in every sport, in every league.

Our DB depth has never really been an issue, so great for Fredrick. Montogomery has done absolutely nothing in the CFL along with a bunch of DEs the bombers have cut. So what are we actually complaining about? If Mohammed was the player some on here seem to think he is, he would be starting. We have plenty of examples in the past of new DBs coming in and starting shortly after. That's the curse of being a good team, you're are eventually going to have to cut good players.

Not at the rate it happens here. Especially not at positions we struggle at after with worse players. 

Yes it has lol. At the start of each of the last 3 seasons it has for between 4 and 6 weeks. 

23 minutes ago, Stickem said:

This Doege kid in deadmonton is one.......Seems Jones is willing to consider starting him......Is this a great move orrrrrrrrr an 'oh boy' .....Considering the coach ....hmmmmmmmmmm

I'm thinking they've used up all the 'stay the course' cliches. They need to turn this around now not 'it's coming, be patient'. 

Therefore, throw-in who you got as depth if the ones you have in now ain't getting it done. 

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'm thinking they've used up all the 'stay the course' cliches. They need to turn this around now not 'it's coming, be patient'. 

Therefore, throw-in who you got as depth if the ones you have in now ain't getting it done. 

They must be constrained by money. Both cashflow and the salary cap. 

35 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Not at the rate it happens here. Especially not at positions we struggle at after with worse players. 

Yes it has lol. At the start of each of the last 3 seasons it has for between 4 and 6 weeks. 

Who are the players we've cut that have gone on to other teams in the CFL and become relevant? You've mentioned Fredrick, again a position that has always been solid under this regime. And MBT...who outside of last year was mediocre and if we had kept him may have been a reason to not sign Collaros. (lot of assumptions there, but still). 

I genuinely don't see the issue that you're stating. Bombers have 2 players starting on their Oline (top 2 in the league last year and this) who were cut from teams. 1 who has been in the running for MOOL the last couple of years. Grant was cut by Hamilton. Collaros had essentially been given up on by multiple teams. Lawler was released by BC before finding his way here. Etc etc etc. Pretending it doesn't happen else where is weird. Give me 1 name  Bombers have cut during TC that have made even a slight impact...not even remotely close to the impact of the players I just mentioned. 1 player from the Bombers who has been cut that's currently top 5 in their position group on another team. I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of anyone.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

How about this, Macleod bethel Thompson. Cut for Sean McGuire Dru brown on the active roster then cut for another rookie who was also cut and never saw camp. 

MBT was here for a cup of coffee in 2016 and McGuire didn't get here until 2019?

22 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Who are the players we've cut that have gone on to other teams in the CFL and become relevant? You've mentioned Fredrick, again a position that has always been solid under this regime. And MBT...who outside of last year was mediocre and if we had kept him may have been a reason to not sign Collaros. (lot of assumptions there, but still). 

I genuinely don't see the issue that you're stating. Bombers have 2 players starting on their Oline (top 2 in the league last year and this) who were cut from teams. 1 who has been in the running for MOOL the last couple of years. Grant was cut by Hamilton. Collaros had essentially been given up on by multiple teams. Lawler was released by BC before finding his way here. Etc etc etc. Pretending it doesn't happen else where is weird. Give me 1 name  Bombers have cut during TC that have made even a slight impact...not even remotely close to the impact of the players I just mentioned. 1 player from the Bombers who has been cut that's currently top 5 in their position group on another team. I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of anyone.

Wasn't MBT only with the Bombers way back in 2016? 

How is what happened 7 years ago relevant to today at all?

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yah, I don't think the Bombers actually cut MBT based on performance, it was more like releasing him to pursue another opportunity elsewhere.

They wouldn't have had much performance to review anyway since he was only here for a month during the PR expansion window - would have been all practice and no game time. 

Only O-lineman we have starting that was cut by anyone was Hardrick, but also our coaching realized that if he dropped 50 pounds he would be very productive.

Neuf was traded for...Bryant and Kolo were free Agents....Gray drafted....Eli drafted...Dobson drafted so not sure who the other discarded guy was

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Only O-lineman we have starting that was cut by anyone was Hardrick, but also our coaching realized that if he dropped 50 pounds he would be very productive.

Neuf was traded for...Bryant and Kolo were free Agents....Gray drafted....Eli drafted...Dobson drafted so not sure who the other discarded guy was

my bad, I thought Kolo was let go by TO

55 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Dont like that he got cut but Piggy had his chance W1 against HAM and blew it

Bit harsh, no? Didn’t he get a grand total of 2 plays?

Given what he showed in the preseason I gotta assume there’s other stuff going into this decision. Regardless, I share the sense of loss given the potential I witnessed at both games I saw him play.

I don't really understand the narrative that Piggy somehow showed us something great in pre-season? It was pre-season, against a terrible team, playing their soon-to-be cut training camp players. 

Was it fun? Absolutely, but he is also very raw and the opposition knew nothing about him. He needs lots of development and the Bombers have prioritized experience. 

49 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't really understand the narrative that Piggy somehow showed us something great in pre-season? It was pre-season, against a terrible team, playing their soon-to-be cut training camp players. 

Was it fun? Absolutely, but he is also very raw and the opposition knew nothing about him. He needs lots of development and the Bombers have prioritized experience. 

Absolutely agree.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Go back and re-watch the games if you're not sure what Piggy accomplished, he made at least 2 throws that demonstrated great touch and one long pass that showed he had a very strong arm with good accuracy as well.  Best yet, he wasn't just hucking the ball up for grabs or throwing it automatically to a spot like most rookie QB's, he found open receivers downfield and hit them in stride.  As for his running ability it speaks for itself, the multiple tackles he broke while running the ball were on experienced football players, desperate to bring him down in their quest to land jobs.

Edited by Fatty Liver

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Go back and re-watch the games if you're not sure what Piggy accomplished, he made at least 2 throws that demonstrated great touch and one long pass that showed he had a very strong arm with good accuracy as well.  Best yet, he wasn't just hucking the ball up for grabs or throwing it automatically to a spot like most rookie QB's, he found open receivers downfield and hit them in stride.  As for his running ability it speaks for itself, the multiple tackles he broke while running the ball were on experienced football players, desperate to bring him down in their quest to land jobs.

I thought both Pigrome and Salima showed that they had the tools to do the job, but I am not a coach and have no way to assess their attitudes.

21 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I thought both Pigrome and Salima showed that they had the tools to do the job, but I am not a coach and have no way to assess their attitudes.

As free agents if they were so desirable then why hasn't any other team picked them up?

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Don’t necessarily disagree with the decision. I am simply acknowledging that he showed potential and that, as such, we may come to regret this. I don’t think those are incompatible sentiments…

ie. It may both make sense at this time and ultimately also prove to have been a bit shortsighted. I am also disagreeing that he had his chance in real game conditions and “blew it”. He didn’t see the field enough IMO to Definitively “blow it”. 

Again, can’t disagree with MOS cuz I don’t know the backstory and can see where they like Prukop.

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

And mos was getting close to the axe before the 19 win. No one is beyond questioning. Especially when they repeatedly make questionable decisions and bad rosters. 

O’Shea was only close to being fired in the eyes of certain impatient fans. The powers that be had faith in him. They were rewarded, and again showed why clubs should not make decisions based solely on fan emotion on a message board. 

And we’ll agree to disagree on “repeatedly making bad rosters”. I see 6 straight 10+ win seasons, 3 straight Grey Cup appearances, 2 wins, two straight home West finals, and the best regular season won-loss record in the 93 year club history last season. Don’t usually see bad rosters pull off that. 

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As free agents if they were so desirable then why hasn't any other team picked them up?

well for one...In regards to Salima nobody really needed a starting tailback...everyone had one who was established, and knows the league....so would make no sense cutting your starter for a promising rookie...he definately had the skills and tools...but here with us...we are committed to to a Canadian there....plus we had Mcrae...who in my opinion isn't an everydown back , and he has been here for 2..3 yrs now....so as per the way we roll here he gets the spot by default even tho he was in the tub,,.again....as he has had stints in that tub his whole time here....So thats why Salima hasn't been picked up...tho if Ottawa keeps sucking the high hard one with their run game I could see him surfacing there as they seem to like grabbing our scraps

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

O’Shea was only close to being fired in the eyes of certain impatient fans. The powers that be had faith in him. They were rewarded, and again showed why clubs should not make decisions based solely on fan emotion on a message board. 

And we’ll agree to disagree on “repeatedly making bad rosters”. I see 6 straight 10+ win seasons, 3 straight Grey Cup appearances, 2 wins, two straight home West finals, and the best regular season won-loss record in the 93 year club history last season. Don’t usually see bad rosters pull off that. 

yes...and no...the media was clamoring for it as well, and lots of other so-called pundants around the league figured he was getting the axe too...so wasn't just a message board...and if u recall, his first few yrs he made some glaring mistakes, but we hung in and paid off...I for one was not calling for his head then....but did ***** about some of his bad moves....learning on the job is always the best way

6 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

RE: Salima, if the plan all along is to start a CDN in that position, why even bring americans in at that spot? Is CDN talent at the position that lacking, or is it simply an attempt to push other players in TC?

I think BO is the given starter no question...he goes down for the season or 10 games I think they try Augustine and see how he lasts in that role BUT if he hits the wall and just can't carry the load then it's next guy up no matter the nationality and do a rotation with another back, Greg seems to be that guy they maybe want to get more of a look at.

I liked how Salima ran in pre season but they will generally go with a proven commodity.