Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Imo the line would be better with eli at C for kola and Dobson at g for gray with gray going back to 6th ol. I think gray is just much better on the edge than at guard. Hardrick was the same way. It isn’t common but some guys just are much better at T than G. 

We did use him at hback in one set Vs mtl. It was kinda meh but small sample size. 

Id put Eli at C Dobson at G and gray at te then a guy like gauthier at fb. With how our WRs block good luck stopping that run game. 

fun side note for the first time in over a decade the nfl saw an increase in FB use last year. 

that’s always a key in any ol. Give them enough reps to beat up the dl and don’t have them trying to block for 4-5 seconds for a bomb 10+ times a game. When we get caught up too much in deep down field passing we stagnate the offense. 

I think exume was pushed into action late in two games but yeah Kelly had more un interrupted reps for sure. 

maruo seems to free lance too much. He isn’t lane disciplined. Pretty sure that’s why he got benched last year. 

Kelly only played when Swarmay got hurt...I think that's the only reps he's seen on defence other than the one game we put in a lot of the backups after game was well in hand

Our line would be better I think with Eli at center and I bet he takes it over at some point

Gray was fine last game...and has been solid for 2 yrs now ..plus he gets under the skin of defences as he is always in second level annoying guys 

6 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Agree Kelly will be the one to sit if Kramdi is back this Friday. 
I can see Beeksma to be slated as FB if Miller and Burtenshaw will continue to be in the IR. 

Shayne Gauthier did not finish the game in Montreal and is listed on today’s injury report as having suffered a foot injury, probably why they signed Beeksma.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Kelly only played when Swarmay got hurt...I think that's the only reps he's seen on defence other than the one game we put in a lot of the backups after game was well in hand

Our line would be better I think with Eli at center and I bet he takes it over at some point

Gray was fine last game...and has been solid for 2 yrs now ..plus he gets under the skin of defences as he is always in second level annoying guys 

When grays assignment is double some one else’s man and skip to the second level he excels. When it’s his man not soo much. In pass pro he hasn’t been nearly as good with out couture at C. 
 He is however phenomenal as the 6th ol on the edge working with either tackle and that virtually always either has him on some one much smaller or as the double and skip to second level guy. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

When grays assignment is double some one else’s man and skip to the second level he excels. When it’s his man not soo much. In pass pro he hasn’t been nearly as good with out couture at C. 
 He is however phenomenal as the 6th ol on the edge working with either tackle and that virtually always either has him on some one much smaller or as the double and skip to second level guy. 

The entire run scheme of football right now is double at the line and work up to a linebacker.

9 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The entire run scheme of football right now is double at the line and work up to a linebacker.

I know, and the ol that is heads up to his man is the guy who stays at the line. With no one heads up you double and go to the second level. In the cfl you are 5 on 4 for the majority of run plays so only one ol is going to the next level unless you bring in heavy set. And even in heavy set you see teams play a 4-3 over putting a lber on the line most of the time. 

14 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

The continuous line of jokes about Saskatchewan people lacking teeth is disrespectful, inaccurate, and it's high time for it to come to an end. Over the past decades, accessibility to dentistry in Saskatchewan has made significant advancements, and a large number of residents now boast dental health including teeth adorning both their upper and lower jaws! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhiGfhoaOnWmm59cO0AZF

17 hours ago, Booch said:

The linebacker they released a week earlier would have been an even better signing....but we didnt bring him in

Might be they didn't feel he was a fit for some other reason besides play.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I know, and the ol that is heads up to his man is the guy who stays at the line. With no one heads up you double and go to the second level. In the cfl you are 5 on 4 for the majority of run plays so only one ol is going to the next level unless you bring in heavy set. And even in heavy set you see teams play a 4-3 over putting a lber on the line most of the time. 

In zone you usually leave the backside end unblocked by the OL so it’s generally 5 on 3 or even 5 on 2 at the line.  That’s where that split block going counter the line or a receiver cracking on the end on the backside comes in if it’s not a read play. It’s doubles across the line driving with the flow of the play to catch other defenders downfield.

It’s why DC’s like Hall love the bear front so much because it forces big on big blocks vs the run but pulls linebackers up into the line which is risky vs the pass and also forces your SAM and DBs to make tackles.

In what I’m scheming up for my guys we love seeing the bear front because if everyone play side even just turns their block off the gap off guard or off tackle we probably have 8 yards for our back before he gets touched.  Much harder to block through that flow to the ball if the backers are off the line.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

In zone you usually leave the backside end unblocked by the OL so it’s generally 5 on 3 or even 5 on 2 at the line.  That’s where that split block going counter the line or a receiver cracking on the end on the backside comes in if it’s not a read play. It’s doubles across the line driving with the flow of the play to catch other defenders downfield.

It’s why DC’s like Hall love the bear front so much because it forces big on big blocks vs the run but pulls linebackers up into the line which is risky vs the pass and also forces your SAM and DBs to make tackles.

In what I’m scheming up for my guys we love seeing the bear front because if everyone play side even just turns their block off the gap off guard or off tackle we probably have 8 yards for our back before he gets touched.  Much harder to block through that flow to the ball if the backers are off the line.

More so if you’re running read option but yes. Then that’s the tackle skipping to the second level the majority of the time. 
sounds like a midzone concept. taking advantage of their inside leverage and general aggression while sealing the play side as the dl take them self out of the play. It’s gotta be really hard for hs and younger especially to defend.
 I love the mid / wide / outside zones wish we saw more of it the cfl on a regular basis. Teams are just soo locked in on tight/inside/belly. 

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

More so if you’re running read option but yes. Then that’s the tackle skipping to the second level the majority of the time. 
sounds like a midzone concept. taking advantage of their inside leverage and general aggression while sealing the play side as the dl take them self out of the play. It’s gotta be really hard for hs and younger especially to defend.
 I love the mid / wide / outside zones wish we saw more of it the cfl on a regular basis. Teams are just soo locked in on tight/inside/belly. 

See the Bombers running a lot of wide and inside zone.  McCrae's big run this past week a good example of wide zone.  Whole line moving left, Bryant washes his guy wide which sets the edge, decent play by the defender but since the line gets driven back by the interior into the backers there's no one behind to make the play when McCrae cuts vertical.  BOLO comes with Jet motion likely to seal that backside edge if Montreal crashes, but the end shifts pre-snap inside, basically head up on Hardrick at the snap (who is drive blocking left right through the end) and the SAM is just waiting so they leave him.  For added blocking they have Bailey motion and come right through the interior of the line.

Helped that 44 on Montreal ran out wide and took himself out of the play too, then he has a wall of his own teammates and Bombers between him and the gap McCrae hits.

I feel like Bailey is kind of freelancing on the run blocking side on plays where he doesn't have a defined assignment like cracking an end and the coaches trust him to do that.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I have no idea what you guys just said but I friggin love reading it. I always learn something from JBR, WBB and Booch. Always appreciated fellas.

One of the main reasons I look forward to coming to this board. They know their ****. 

When I volunteered 'coached' my son thru the years I always enjoyed taking my offense and defense suggestions to football guys like these three and seeing the middle veins on their foreheads pulsate more and more as I kept talking.  

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

See the Bombers running a lot of wide and inside zone.  McCrae's big run this past week a good example of wide zone.  Whole line moving left, Bryant washes his guy wide which sets the edge, decent play by the defender but since the line gets driven back by the interior into the backers there's no one behind to make the play when McCrae cuts vertical.  BOLO comes with Jet motion likely to seal that backside edge if Montreal crashes, but the end shifts pre-snap inside, basically head up on Hardrick at the snap (who is drive blocking left right through the end) and the SAM is just waiting so they leave him.  For added blocking they have Bailey motion and come right through the interior of the line.

Helped that 44 on Montreal ran out wide and took himself out of the play too, then he has a wall of his own teammates and Bombers between him and the gap McCrae hits.

I feel like Bailey is kind of freelancing on the run blocking side on plays where he doesn't have a defined assignment like cracking an end and the coaches trust him to do that.

Bailey in that MTL game was on a mission...he had about 3 really punctuating blocks in that game

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

With mccrae and sweeps yeah. Not with Brady. Though buck has certainly been more adventurous with run design this year. Luckily we haven’t seen more of the suicide sweep toss. it’s a whole lot different than when plop was running the offense.
 100% agree on Bailey. They let him read his own block frequently and he seldom if ever disappoints. 
I loved schoen getting the lead block off sweep motion in a counter trey run too. 

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

Bailey in that MTL game was on a mission...he had about 3 really punctuating blocks in that game

If blocks / pancakes for WRs were counted he’d probably be an all star last year. He’s like a none dirty hinse ward. 

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Can't throw a block peeling back toward your own endzone, even on special teams.  Easy call and they'll call it 100% of the time.  If he just takes up space there and doesn't throw the block it's fine.

I’ve seen Calgary and others do it many times 

23 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Can't throw a block peeling back toward your own endzone, even on special teams.  Easy call and they'll call it 100% of the time.  If he just takes up space there and doesn't throw the block it's fine.

Yeah, I don’t think he could resist knocking the guy on his ass.  All he needed to do was get in the way, but I get the temptation.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

With mccrae and sweeps yeah. Not with Brady. Though buck has certainly been more adventurous with run design this year. Luckily we haven’t seen more of the suicide sweep toss. it’s a whole lot different than when plop was running the offense.
 100% agree on Bailey. They let him read his own block frequently and he seldom if ever disappoints. 
I loved schoen getting the lead block off sweep motion in a counter trey run too. 

If blocks / pancakes for WRs were counted he’d probably be an all star last year. He’s like a none dirty hinse ward. 

Hines wasn’t dirty, just a hard nosed guy that loved to hit.

2 hours ago, BomberBall said:

Yeah, I don’t think he could resist knocking the guy on his ass.  All he needed to do was get in the way, but I get the temptation.

Hines wasn’t dirty, just a hard nosed guy that loved to hit.

I loved hines too but a lot of illegal blocking rules evolved out of him taking guys out with blind side hits. Like the one on ed reed. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I loved hines too but a lot of illegal blocking rules evolved out of him taking guys out with blind side hits. Like the one on ed reed. 

Yes, and the one against the Bengals LB…. Was it Rivers?  That one was insane.

Him and Reed had a bit of an ongoing feud, so Hines likely relished any opportunities he had to drop the hammer on him.