CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why do I still think that even with this huge salary that the Argos will still sign all their key veterans & have money left over to raid every team's top free agent because we know they'll never be over the cap. One set of rules for them & another for the rest of us. Just business as usual.

Now, what will Dru Brown be asking for as a free agent??? And what if Nathan Rourke comes back? What will he want?? Between giving nearly $300,000 to receivers, $150-225,000 to Canadian OL & now $600,000 to quarterbacks how the hell can teams still function with the salary cap at $5.5 million?? Where's the room with the salary cap to retain key veterans??? The way this league is run kis ridiculous, I tell ya. 

Idk.

In a bizarre way, the Argonauts have been the beneficiaries of a campaign of utter indifference from MLSE. They've been able to keep the operations group together because the parent company can't be arsed to look into the day to day or strategic planning of the football team they own... And having been left to their devices, the Argos  have basically gone ahead and filled the teams pipeline with elite talent and prospects.

Under normal circumstances I'd question whether anyone at MLSE was even aware of the 1.8M commitment they've just made to a CFL player... But even they must've seen it on the news the last 24 hours. It has actually been the lead sports story for an entire news cycle here. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Rourke won’t be back imo. 
 Brown will get 250-300k imo. If you’re a team with a young un proven qb or journey men he’s an excellent addition to fight for the starting spot in camp and have the other guy back up. Teams like ham ott mtl could jump in on that. Teams like Edmonton maybe ssk could go after him to start for a bit more money. 

Probably closer to $300-350, I'd think based on how the CFL upped the pay in the off season for wideouts & Canadian OL. Ottawa massively overpaid for Drew Desjarlais as you can see how much it's helped Ottawa score touchdowns & are now the worst team in the CFL. Just a horrible use of financial resources by GM Sean Burke just like his predecessor Marcel Desjardins used to do. A left tackle should be your highest paid OL & not a Guard. But in the CFL, it's not about being the best player like Stanley Bryant. It's all about the ratio & being an overpaid Canadian so it's all political. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Hamilton, Ottawa, Saskatchewan, possibly Calgary or Montreal.

Unless there's another round of musical chairs this off-season, most teams already have their expected starters pencilled in for next year.  Brown may have to choose a team that will provide him with a fair opportunity to compete for the starting job, which might limit him to Ottawa and Edmonton. Adams, Maier, Harris, Kelley, Fajardo and BLM are all expected to lead their teams next season, I'd be surprised if that isn't the case.

41 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Unless there's another round of musical chairs this off-season, most teams already have their expected starters pencilled in for next year.  Brown may have to choose a team that will provide him with a fair opportunity to compete for the starting job, which might limit him to Ottawa and Edmonton. Adams, Maier, Harris, Kelley, Fajardo and BLM are all expected to lead their teams next season, I'd be surprised if that isn't the case.

I'd be shocked if Harris is brought back.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Hamilton, Ottawa, Saskatchewan, possibly Calgary or Montreal.

I'd think so as well. 

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

BLM? He's finished. 

9 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I’d be surprised if more than 4 teams keep their existing QB situation into next season.

Winnipeg and Toronto are for sure.  Everyone else will be looking at improvements including BC depending on how their season ends.

There will be 5-6 teams in the QB market.

8 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I'd be shocked if Harris is brought back.

He was their last choice, so no doubt they'll look to upgrade.

But it's still slim pickings so I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they were the last two contestants in musical chairs again. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Probably closer to $300-350, I'd think based on how the CFL upped the pay in the off season for wideouts & Canadian OL. Ottawa massively overpaid for Drew Desjarlais as you can see how much it's helped Ottawa score touchdowns & are now the worst team in the CFL. Just a horrible use of financial resources by GM Sean Burke just like his predecessor Marcel Desjardins used to do. A left tackle should be your highest paid OL & not a Guard. But in the CFL, it's not about being the best player like Stanley Bryant. It's all about the ratio & being an overpaid Canadian so it's all political. 

The first thing this regime did was go out and spend on their OL. 

We were fortunate that Stanley was on the market. For them, it was Drew. If they do find a QB, they want to make sure the OL is stout in front of him.

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think Browns only shot at getting a starting pay cheque is with Ottawa.   

Disagree. Assuming his mediocre performance last appearance was an anomaly, the only teams that he would NOT start for this weekend would be Bombers, Argos and maybe the Lions. 

Just now, Tracker said:

Disagree. Assuming his mediocre performance last appearance was an anomaly, the only teams that he would NOT start for this weekend would be Bombers, Argos and maybe the Lions. 

WPG - Collaros

BC  - Adams Jr

SSK - Will be looking

CGY - ??? - They honestly seem arrogant enough to go with their guys. 

EDM - Ford (written in pencil)

TOR - Kelly

MTL - CoFaj (I think he's pretty safe)

HAM - Will be/should be looking - BLM contract is an albatross

OTT - Perpetually looking.

Sask and Ott on the market. Hamilton and Montreal publicly support their guys but need to upgrade, some how. Calgary and Edmonton are opposites in that, Edmonton is always looking to upgrade even when they shouldn't and Calgary should be looking to upgrade but never do. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Calvillo and Ray both played some good  ball - after they were 'finished.'

Difference is BLM can't throw a ball anymore...not like he could anyways. Ray and Calvillo were beaten and bruised and in bad offensives. BLM has a broken arm. 

I dont think Harris comes back either....maybe as a back up but that'll be all.

I see CGY sticking with Maier to be honest...vause really...who out there available is better?....and he still could have upside....he has shown he can be more than a short passing game manager

Powell in Hamilton to me looks like the QB of all the other 2nd and 3rd stringers who actually may have some potential...this next leg of the season will be very telling, but I could see them going with a Shiltz/Powell combo....with Moxely as the short yardage guy

Adams I am sure is the defacto BC guy until or if Rourke ever comes back, but that being said....is he going to take the money and go with highest bidder?...I think so, and hey maybe he becomes Zach's replacement if he hangs em up after 2025

Pretty sure the Faj is safe as long as Maas is there, and can see a 1a/1b with him and Evans, so doubt they in the QB market next yr.

Also think Edm will do what it takes to make Ford the guy now, especially if he keeps progressing, which I think he should, and they tied into Heavy Balls for guarantied money, and they in no position to eat salaries there, so best guess status quo there too....

The scraps are going to be fought over by Ottawa and Sask....and scraps they are....Harris likely gets a shot in one of those places, and hope it Sask as he is pretty much average at best and won't lead you to the promised lnd, and Fine I don't think has the ability's to be legit, and Dolegala even less...and bet we see an ugly performance by him tomorrow.

So does Brown hit a payday?...possibly, but I don't see him being uber successful in either of those places, and I am still not sold on him here either as a legit option long-term if something was to happen...I think he is the benefactor of the system and familiarity he has here for 3 yrs now...and it won't translate elsewhere....and even then something about his pay at times makes me very uneasy....

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Difference is BLM can't throw a ball anymore...not like he could anyways. Ray and Calvillo were beaten and bruised and in bad offensives. BLM has a broken arm. 

yeah Bo's throws just hang there and look like soft tosses....there is a reason why he has thrown double digit picks in his last what..18...20 games...he has no steam on any throws now

37 minutes ago, Booch said:

Adams I am sure is the defacto BC guy until or if Rourke ever comes back, but that being said....is he going to take the money and go with highest bidder?...I think so, and hey maybe he becomes Zach's replacement if he hangs em up after 2025

This would be super funny to me because, over the past 10 years - when we were in our QB dead zone time - Collaros and Adams were the two guys I wanted the club to target. Zach spurned us for Hamilton but eventually made his way here. Not sure if we ever attempted to get Adams in here - he moved around so much you'd think we would have if we wanted him.

But I would still find it funny if both guys I wanted as "up and comers" ended their careers here. 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Calvillo and Ray both played some good  ball - after they were 'finished.'

Blm has been burn toast for a good while. Those guys were just not insulated with the right talent and system. Blm has had the talent and system to succeed. 

58 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Agree on both. 

24 minutes ago, Stickem said:

So are his legs.....Mr. Brittle......which leads me to believe he's headed for the panel

and honestly that’s a great thing for the league. He’s incredible. I’d take him in the booth happily as well too. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Blm has been burn toast for a good while. Those guys were just not insulated with the right talent and system. Blm has had the talent and system to succeed. 

Agree on both. 

and honestly that’s a great thing for the league. He’s incredible. I’d take him in the booth happily as well too. 

Me and a buddy were talking about BLM last night. He recalls an interview from the first couple of weeks of the season where an interviewer commented to BLM that a lot of people expected to see him in the booth this season. He responded simply and quickly that they, "don't pay enough".

Maybe Hamilton has learned it's lesson. But as long as someone is willing (or obligated) to pay him his contract, he's gonna be suiting up. 

Fajardo is likely to lose his job again before the end of this season.

They have not been able to score points with him or run the ball because teams don’t respect him as a runner or passer.  Evans played and they piled up points.

12 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Me and a buddy were talking about BLM last night. He recalls an interview from the first couple of weeks of the season where an interviewer commented to BLM that a lot of people expected to see him in the booth this season. He responded simply and quickly that they, "don't pay enough".

Maybe Hamilton has learned it's lesson. But as long as someone is willing (or obligated) to pay him his contract, he's gonna be suiting up. 

No obligation at all.  Do you think a team would rather pay $150,000 to break a contract or keep a useless player around for another $450,000?

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That’s a good point. Idk what tsn pays but Im sure it sucks. Who knows ssk or edm might be dumb enough to give him 250-350k in the off season. 

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Fajardo is likely to lose his job again before the end of this season.

They have not been able to score points with him or run the ball because teams don’t respect him as a runner or passer.  Evans played and they piled up points.

No obligation at all.  Do you think a team would rather pay $150,000 to break a contract or keep a useless player around for another $450,000?

Cf is gonna be going into camp next year battling a guy like brown for a starting job and has basically no chance to actually win. Time to be a back up

And who knows if Ottawa "thinks" Crum is the future?      

Edmonton will stick with Ford

Hamilton has Powell,  it's a maybe spot for him also.  

Sask - Sticks with Fine or Harris.  

Montreal - Fajardo

I won't doubt if one of these teams signs Brown for a  better salary,  but I can't see them dropping $400 000 and declaring him the starter day one.