CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I'm confused as to why this guy was available... did the Lions just straight up cut him? 

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have signed Canadian offensive lineman Noah Zerr.

The 24-year-old was a second-round pick in the 2022 CFL Draft out of the University of Saskatchewan. He played four games for the Lions last season, though he spent most of the season on the one-game injured list as a healthy scratch.

The six-foot-seven, 315-pound native of Langenburg, Sask. was a first-team U Sports All-Canadian in 2021 and was voted the Huskies’ top lineman that year.

Hamilton is currently experiencing injury problems along the offensive line. Chris Van Zeyl, Kyle Saxelid, and Alex Fontana — three veteran Canadians — are already on the six-game injured list, while starter Coulter Woodmansey left the club’s 32-14 victory over the Toronto Argonauts. His status for next week’s home-opener against the Montreal Alouettes remains unclear.

It's pretty amazing how healthy the Bomber O-line has remained over the years, occasionally one will get injured, but never 3 at one time.  That would be a difficult gap to plug for any team.

Half the O-line that wasn't that good to start with and now Bo "probably" injured, yikes hard to find a silver lining for a Hammy fan....your team looks to compete for top spot in your division, and you come out 0-2, you have receivers fighting each other during the game by week two, appear to have discipline issues and you tack on injury concerns...I guess at least they can say they have amongst the best depth along the D-line, maybe they can convert Sayles fulltime😉

I really hope Twitter figures it's **** out soon but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Per Herb Z: "I’m told LB Brian Harelimina, released by #AlsMTL last weekend, is being signed by Saskatchewan"

https://twitter.com/HerbZurkowsky1/status/1670904518551261184?s=20

In  related Riderville news, a bunch of their are not doing so well after the last game. 

Per Jamie Nye after hearing that Albert Awachie, Frankie Hickson, Juwan Brescacin, Jayden Dalke, Nick Dheilly & Lake Korte-Moor are all banged up:

"OOOF --- that's a lot of Canadian depth. And they have ONE backup on the practice roster to play specials (and the guy they've reportedly signed from Montreal) The rest of the nationals on the practice roster are the Regina Thunder players."

https://twitter.com/jamienye/status/1671223607828029441?s=20

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Its obvious that Hamilton needs to trade us Bennett for Szott.

Bennett and Kongbo For Szott and Macino and a 7th rounder

31 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Half the O-line that wasn't that good to start with and now Bo "probably" injured, yikes hard to find a silver lining for a Hammy fan....your team looks to compete for top spot in your division, and you come out 0-2, you have receivers fighting each other during the game by week two, appear to have discipline issues and you tack on injury concerns...I guess at least they can say they have amongst the best depth along the D-line, maybe they can convert Sayles fulltime😉

There been some serious onfield discipline issues there foir a few yrs now...Orlando needs to reign that crap in

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

Bennett and Kongbo For Szott and Macino and a 7th rounder

There been some serious onfield discipline issues there foir a few yrs now...Orlando needs to reign that crap in

I'm hoping something like this was communicated to said receiver:

Yes he missed his block which resulted in you being blown up but simmer down, it's a team game, we're all in this together. Football is an emotional game but keep them in check. We keep this stuff between ourselves not to be put on display for all to see.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

Instead, they signed Spitter McEyegouge. It's not going away. 

Funny you mention that, I was thinking wow, he isn't the receiver losing his temper and causing an issue this time....Don't worry he will have his moment this year I would guess

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

It's pretty amazing how healthy the Bomber O-line has remained over the years, occasionally one will get injured, but never 3 at one time.  That would be a difficult gap to plug for any team.

Hamilton seems to have this problem every year on their OL. Maybe the turf?

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm confused as to why this guy was available... did the Lions just straight up cut him? 

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have signed Canadian offensive lineman Noah Zerr.

The 24-year-old was a second-round pick in the 2022 CFL Draft out of the University of Saskatchewan. He played four games for the Lions last season, though he spent most of the season on the one-game injured list as a healthy scratch.

The six-foot-seven, 315-pound native of Langenburg, Sask. was a first-team U Sports All-Canadian in 2021 and was voted the Huskies’ top lineman that year.

Hamilton is currently experiencing injury problems along the offensive line. Chris Van Zeyl, Kyle Saxelid, and Alex Fontana — three veteran Canadians — are already on the six-game injured list, while starter Coulter Woodmansey left the club’s 32-14 victory over the Toronto Argonauts. His status for next week’s home-opener against the Montreal Alouettes remains unclear.

He is available because he was an absolute pylon and not even worthy of a PR spot. 

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's not luck that our guys are healthy and the Riders aren't.  It's culture, It's work ethic. The Riders are lazy, and have a culture of laziness by pro standards. They don't put in the extra work and that shows up on the injury reports every single year. Rider fans would have you believe they are cursed or something....nope....just a culture of players doing the least amount to keep their jobs and get their cheques.

He is available because he was an absolute pylon and not even worthy of a PR spot. 

I was referring to the Ti-Cats situation, but point taken.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

I was referring to the Ti-Cats situation, but point taken.

Yea i noticed that after because Riders have some guys out too. However, in the case of Hammy I think it's their turf. They've had this issue every year since TH opened.

10 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Re Gizmo v Grant. Always had to compare players feats from different eras but I would suggest that the guys Grant ran against were better athletes than Giz’s competitors. 

Agree and great point, its really hard to compare across generations. 

Who was that diminutive kr the als had some years back? He was like 5-2 and 140 with long dreads. 

Bashir levingston in 7 years had 8 punt return tds. Grant has 7 in 3 and counting. 3 kick off return tds for bashir to 1 for grant. Bashir is up by 4 missed fgs though. 
 Giz had 26 in 14 years on punts. 2 on kick offs. 3 on missed field goals. 
 I would love to see grant pass giz in punt return tds. That would require some crazy longevity, but I think if he gets past half way he has to be in the top tier.  

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Grant has 7 in his first 35. Gizmo had 8 in his first 41 games.

Great comparison. Grant has been extraordinary. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Honestly, what's incredible is that Gizmo lasted 14 years. For a KR, and the abuse they take sometimes, that's phenomenal. If we manage to have Grant for 10+ years, that'll be a miracle. 

truth he also had an almost 1k receiving season and worked in their offence full time for a while. 
 It might be the most impressive Ironman type achievement. Any one know how old he was when he retired? 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Great comparison. Grant has been extraordinary. 

truth he also had an almost 1k receiving season and worked in their offence full time for a while. 
 It might be the most impressive Ironman type achievement. Any one know how old he was when he retired? 

from the Wiki's..........

Career history
As player
1985 Memphis Showboats (USFL)
1986 Calgary Stampeders* (CFL)
19861988 Edmonton Eskimos (CFL)
1989 Philadelphia Eagles (NFL)
19902000 Edmonton Eskimos (CFL)

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

from the Wiki's..........

Career history
As player
1985 Memphis Showboats (USFL)
1986 Calgary Stampeders* (CFL)
19861988 Edmonton Eskimos (CFL)
1989 Philadelphia Eagles (NFL)
19902000 Edmonton Eskimos (CFL)

Bout 38 for his last year. Pretty crazy for a return man. 

Ezra Landry was the diminutive als return man I was thinking of. This return reminds me of grants but with more speed and less power  both are better than gizmos imo   

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

not sure where to put this, but a possible glimmer of hope for a new or renovated facility for the Stamps: 

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/rare-opportunity-alberta-group-in-exploratory-phase-of-2030-commonwealth-games-bid-1.6304041

My reaction after living in Calgary for the past 33 years...

I don't see where a new stadium in Calgary would even be considered. All of the track & field plus opening & closing ceremonies would be in Edmonton at CWS, I'd think. All they have to do is tear out the field, put in grass as well as a running track. Plus they mention a Field house for Calgary but as usual, no stadium. This city doesn't deserve a CFL team. 

Oh Boy Here We Go GIF - Oh Boy Here We Go Jim Carrey GIFs

Edited by SpeedFlex27