2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

On 2022-12-28 at 4:30 PM, Booch said:

Interesting to see all the thanks but no thanks to the Riders about coaching position...and how they basically had to settle for their O.C....again...next up...exodus of free agents...have they resigned any of note? 

At some point they have to change right? I’ve never seen a team request ast and positional coaches for interview and been denied by those coaches soo many times. 
 They were already the worst coached and disciplined team in the league and it’s only going to get worse. 

10 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I am sorry I quoted the article. I thought he could comprehend what he reads and would slink away into the night on this topic. Instead he is calling McEvoy a liar, and reaching by playing verbal gymnastics to alter what McEvoy was very clearly stating. Honestly, I don't know of a single person who reads that article and still doesn't believe that the Lions are going to give Rourke a big raise if he stays.

It gets tiring reading while burgess blathers on. I wish he could be censured. 

Proof requires all 3 things: Offer, acceptance, & the CFL ratifying the contract. A GM saying they'll make a "competitive offer" isn't proof. It's 1 point, the first tangible one, in favour of the 'you can do whatever you want in the third year no matter what it says in the CBA' group. 

I'm not a lawyer and never pretended I was. Contracts 101 is enough. 

I thought about McEvoy's statement while running errands this morning. I think he's acknowledging that Rourke won't be in the CFL next year so the CBA draft rules won't apply to his next contract. 

Edited by TBURGESS

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Proof requires all 3 things: Offer, acceptance, & the CFL ratifying the contract. A GM saying they'll make a "competitive offer" isn't proof. It's 1 point, the first tangible one, in favour of the 'you can do whatever you want in the third year no matter what it says in the CBA' group. 

I'm not a lawyer and never pretended I was. Contracts 101 is enough. 

I thought about McEvoy's statement while running errands this morning. I think he's acknowledging that Rourke won't be in the CFL next year so the CBA draft rules won't apply to his next contract. 

Except that is not at all what he said. He specifically mentioned this season. Nice try though....those goal posts move quick with you. McEvoy specifically stated that he promised Rourke during the season that he would renegotiate his contract FOR THIS COMING SEASON and that he felt he could offer a competitive salary and playing reps to him. Unless you feel that 81k is competitive salary then your little morning brainstorm is all for nothing.

Edited by GCn20

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You're right, he mentioned this coming season. Still don't see how that can happen. 

This is getting so ******* tiring. If you have a twitter account, check Dave Naylor's tweets about this very subject. He said the Lions can rip up Rourke's rookie contract  & re-sign him anytime they want. I could post it but I want you to find that tweet on your own. Why should I do the work for you? The CFLPA will be onboard with it. He said that no one ever thought a first year Canadian qb would ever tear up the CFL like Rourke did. There are ways to do this. But the 3 year rule in the CBA is typical small mind CFL & CFLPA thinking who both can never see the big picture. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This is getting so ******* tiring. If you have a twitter account, check Dave Naylor's tweets about this very subject. He said the Lions can rip up Rourke's rookie contract  & re-sign him anytime they want. I could post it but I want you to find that tweet on your own. Why should I do the work for you? The CFLPA will be onboard with it. He said that no one ever thought a first year Canadian qb would ever tear up the CFL like Rourke did. There are ways to do this. But the 3 year rule in the CBA is typical small mind CFL & CFLPA thinking who both can never see the big picture. 

I gave up my twitter account when Musk took over, so if you want me to read them, you'll have to post them. 

Of course the CFLPA would be on board, they want the players to make the most money they can. Of course BC would be on board they want to sign Rourke without having to give up his rights. 

If the CFL gives Rourke and BC an out for the year 3 rule.. great, but that's not the same as saying you can do whatever you want in the 3rd year without special dispensation from the league. Which I said a long time ago. 

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I gave up my twitter account when Musk took over, so if you want me to read them, you'll have to post them. 

Of course the CFLPA would be on board, they want the players to make the most money they can. Of course BC would be on board they want to sign Rourke without having to give up his rights. 

If the CFL gives Rourke and BC an out for the year 3 rule.. great, but that's not the same as saying you can do whatever you want in the 3rd year without special dispensation from the league. Which I said a long time ago. 

Someone else can quote Naylor as I don't want to. 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

"I'm not wrong. The BC lions are allowed to cheat!" FTFY

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

"I'm not wrong. The BC lions are allowed to cheat!" FTFY

Not what I said pigeon. 

Contract 101 - If all parties to a contract agree to a change the contract in writing, (because the CBA is in writing, changes must also be in writing) then it can be changed. That seems to be Naylor's take and he's right.  Anyone think they were making that claim before today? I remember days or weeks of OPTION means something it doesn't & one person saying that the CFL would have to sign off on any exception to the CBA rules.... me.

12 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Not what I said pigeon. 

Contract 101 - If all parties to a contract agree to a change the contract in writing, (because the CBA is in writing, changes must also be in writing) then it can be changed. That seems to be Naylor's take and he's right.  Anyone think they were making that claim before today? I remember days or weeks of OPTION means something it doesn't & one person saying that the CFL would have to sign off on any exception to the CBA rules.... me.

I thought you didn't have a twitter account anymore? You are so full of ****. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I thought you didn't have a twitter account anymore? You are so full of ****. 

I don't. Turns out you don't need an account to do a search.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

So if he reups in BC for more than the one person's claim he can't for more than 10% more on his rookie entry...will that said person shut his pie hole and admit defeat?? 10 bucks says likely not and will try to spin it some dumbasses bizzare way

If he re-signs with BC I'll be surprised, but it most likely means that the CFL and the CFLPA changed the 3rd year option rule for Rourke. You can't sign him to a new contract because of the rule, so change the rule never occurred to anyone around here until yesterday.

On 2022-12-29 at 6:09 PM, wbbfan said:

At some point they have to change right? I’ve never seen a team request ast and positional coaches for interview and been denied by those coaches soo many times. 
 They were already the worst coached and disciplined team in the league and it’s only going to get worse. 

Like calls to like and flies are drawn to poop.

18 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

TO releases Banks before his roster bonus is due. 

was apparently a mutual decision. Banks tweeted out in December that he wouldn't be back and was grateful for the chance to win a cup (*spit*)... they're trying to make room to keep Gittens...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

was apparently a mutual decision. Banks tweeted out in December that he wouldn't be back and was grateful for the chance to win a cup (*spit*)... they're trying to make room to keep Gittens...

Yep, he's been pretty open about being close to retirement and just wanted a ring.  Won't be surprised to see him sign a 1 day contract with Hamilton and hang em up now that he's got it.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/08/im-just-chasing-this-ring-brandon-banks-ready-to-retire-if-argos-win-the-grey-cup/