2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

One of the issues with Ellis (just looking at his numbers), and why he's overlooked is that he was both a running back and slot back. He also bounced around quite a bit so he never really established a legacy in one place

At either position, he's no where near the top of the all-time list but when you look at the numbers of combined, they are impressive.  There are hall of famer a with lesser stats 

I personally know Craig & I've talked to him about Damon Allen in the past a number of times. At first, I didn't agree with him about Allen being an OC but we have coaches that bounce from team to team & are part of the Old Boy's Newtwork. They get jobs because they know people in the league on different teams. Now I think, why not?  I mean, could he be worse than Jason Maas? Or the unknown OC in Saskatchewan? Maybe but maybe not. 

As far as bouncing around as a player, Ellis said he was the kind of guy who spoke his mind & some head coaches took exception to it. He especially didn't like Jack Gotta & Bob O'Bilovich. He admits his attitude as a player has probably contributed to him not being in the CFHOF. His numbers say he is a Hall of Famer. That's all that should count. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Has Allen been coaching somewhere?

And I'm not sure AC has been looked over, he will move up eventually, but he has what, 2 yrs coaching in the CFL now? 

AC hasn't burned the league up as an OC. He seems to be a conservative OC taking the safe play over the big play although he has the weapons in Montreal to be that big play team with Eugene Lewis, Hergi Mayala, Jake Weineke & Tyson Philpot. I think he needs to still be calling the plays & be a success before he moves up to a HC position. Didn't Maas wina GC as OC in Ottawa with Hank Burris as his qb? 

21 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Coaching is a profession like anything else.  If someone sits in the stands and complains that they aren't getting their shot at basically the #2 job on a 10 person staff on a pro team, they are deluded.

Lots of opportunity to get involved at many levels if someone wants to work their way into a job like OC.  Given someone being a HOF CFL QB they can probably jump a few steps, but would never jump right up to OC.  There would need to be some demonstration of competence as a coach first.

Great take, agree 100%. 

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

AC hasn't burned the league up as an OC. He seems to be a conservative OC taking the safe play over the big play although he has the weapons in Montreal to be that big play team with Eugene Lewis, Hergi Mayala, Jake Weineke & Tyson Philpot. I think he needs to still be calling the plays & be a success before he moves up to a HC position. Didn't Maas wina GC as OC in Ottawa with Hank Burris as his qb? 

To be fair, that was really his bread and butter for a good chunk of his career.

9 hours ago, bluto said:

Some anomalies happen: Pinball went directly to HC after retiring as a player.

Dinwiddie went from a Offensive Quality Control Coach in 2013, to a QB Coach in 2016, to Head Coach in 2020. That is about as quick a progression as you'd see normally.

The situation with Pinball was a bit different than the norm.  He wasn't coaching to teach the X's and O's and scheme. He had a lot of clout with the players and is a tremendous motivator. 

5 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

The situation with Pinball was a bit different than the norm.  He wasn't coaching to teach the X's and O's and scheme. He had a lot of clout with the players and is a tremendous motivator. 

Come on, Colin. A Head Coach doesn't teach but he has to know the plays on both sides of the ball. That's up to the coordinators (unless he's one himself) but he can't be clueless. He has to have credibility with his players. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Come on, Colin. A Head Coach doesn't teach but he has to know the plays on both sides of the ball. That's up to the coordinators (unless he's one himself) but he can't be clueless. He has to have credibility with his players. 

I don't think that Colin implied that Pinball was clueless. I'd agree with his statement on its face.

Ambrosie says "we wanted to do this game to show our friends on the east coast that they're important"......... me: "So, you're gonna force 'em to watch Toronto and Saskatchewan play??" **** what a shitty game this will be...

Ambrosie: "How to treat our Historic Champions who play in a notoriously tough market... hmmm... Let's take away a Toronto home game yet again... while giving them a 6 week gap in home games midsummer... while putting it up against a team with more support than they have on the East coast so it's actually like an away game... Genius!"

Like I've said, I'd be furious about this **** if I were even the faintest bit surprised by it.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Should be different teams than last season, IMO. Glad to see it's happening, though.

The problem is it has to be Toronto because it is the only team that doesn’t care about losing a home game. 

It should be a Grey Cup rematch though…unfortunately the league is too ******* dumb to capitalize on the opportunity.

Watching the shittiest franchise in NA sports history play the Argos for a second straight year will be so exciting for them. 

52 minutes ago, bluto said:

Ambrosie: "How to treat our Historic Champions who play in a notoriously tough market... hmmm... Let's take away a Toronto home game yet again... while giving them a 6 week gap in home games midsummer... while putting it up against a team with more support than they have on the East coast so it's actually like an away game... Genius!"

Like I've said, I'd be furious about this **** if I were even the faintest bit surprised by it.

Argos don't want to lose a home game their owners need to step up and make the market give a ****. 

And really anyone the argos play is going to have more support because no one likes the argos. 

25 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

There is never going to be a team in Atlantic Canada. Those provincial governments are broke and are not going to fund a stadium. No ownership group either. Time to move on.

Agreed, but that said, no reason not to move games around a little bit - especially for a team like the Argos whose attendance is balls.

38 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

There is never going to be a team in Atlantic Canada. Those provincial governments are broke and are not going to fund a stadium. No ownership group either. Time to move on.

They might not be a team but they could get interest in the product where people will tune in and watch the games more often. 

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

Agreed, but that said, no reason not to move games around a little bit - especially for a team like the Argos whose attendance is balls.

Taking away a home game from the Argos will dissapoint 10's of people though.  Having said that, if it hurts Toronto's bottom line, the western teams will step up again and bail them out.  The Argo way...

13 hours ago, bluto said:

I don't think that Colin implied that Pinball was clueless. I'd agree with his statement on its face.

No HC will just let his coordinators go carte blanche without his input or control. Colin implied that indeed Pinball was clueless. That other than being a motivator he just took up space on the sidelines & in meetings. That others did the work & he got the credit. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Taking away a home game from the Argos will dissapoint 10's of people though.  Having said that, if it hurts Toronto's bottom line, the western teams will step up again and bail them out.  The Argo way...

well how else are MLSE supposed to pay the bills without needing a handout from the community owned teams?

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've been saying for years here on this forum that the CFL doesn't do enough for the grassroots level of football in this country. Our Commissioner is a failure. Totally useless. But I'm told I'm just a hater.... 

both can be true. 

But seriously I got your back, Ambrosie is not the right guy for the league. He just doesn't seem to get it.