2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

On 2022-12-20 at 4:45 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Come on, Colin. A Head Coach doesn't teach but he has to know the plays on both sides of the ball. That's up to the coordinators (unless he's one himself) but he can't be clueless. He has to have credibility with his players. 

I never said he couldn't understand that plays. Just that it was obvious that he was mostly providing value by being a tremendous motivator and his players loved playing for him and wanted to do well for him. 

On 2022-12-19 at 6:30 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I personally know Craig & I've talked to him about Damon Allen in the past a number of times. At first, I didn't agree with him about Allen being an OC but we have coaches that bounce from team to team & are part of the Old Boy's Newtwork. They get jobs because they know people in the league on different teams. Now I think, why not?  I mean, could he be worse than Jason Maas? Or the unknown OC in Saskatchewan? Maybe but maybe not. 

As far as bouncing around as a player, Ellis said he was the kind of guy who spoke his mind & some head coaches took exception to it. He especially didn't like Jack Gotta & Bob O'Bilovich. He admits his attitude as a player has probably contributed to him not being in the CFHOF. His numbers say he is a Hall of Famer. That's all that should count. 

I'd love to know if Allen tried coaching right after his career was finished.  On Wikipedia he has no coaching credits at any level.   It's now been 15 years since he played.  And it's harder now to hire him as a qb coach with the coaching cap.  He should coach in the ncaa somewhere or a high-school team to gain some experience as an offensive coordinator or rb/wr coach. 

On 2022-12-20 at 8:07 AM, bluto said:

I don't think that Colin implied that Pinball was clueless. I'd agree with his statement on its face.

Yes I didn't mean to imply that and I don't think I did.  Speedflex27 still has a bone to pick with me for some comments I made about him a few years back. 

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I never said he couldn't understand that plays. Just that it was obvious that he was mostly providing value by being a tremendous motivator and his players loved playing for him and wanted to do well for him. 

I'd love to know if Allen tried coaching right after his career was finished.  On Wikipedia he has no coaching credits at any level.   It's now been 15 years since he played.  And it's harder now to hire him as a qb coach with the coaching cap.  He should coach in the ncaa somewhere or a high-school team to gain some experience as an offensive coordinator or rb/wr coach. 

To me, you kinda did. Pimball had no management experience either & did more than okay doing that as well. I'm sure with his size he had to put up with guys like you constantly telling him he was too small to play football at any level. let alone coach & manage.  My point is, why not give Allen a shot? A decision to hire him would upset the apple cart, no doubt but who wants the same recycled coaches changing teams every couple of years? What value do they have other than having "experience"???

Another Touchdown Atlantic with the same two teams as last year. Why?? The Maritimes will never have a team so what a waste of time. The Mayor of Halifax says no government at any level in the Maritimes will fund a proper stadium & yet there's the lying Randy Ambrosie pushing expansion ignoring the fact there's no ownership group & he was rebuffed publicly. What a useless waste of skin Ambrosie is.  

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

To me, you kinda did. Pimball had no management experience either & did more than okay doing that as well. I'm sure with his size he had to put up with guys like you constantly telling him he was too small to play football at any level. let alone coach & manage.  My point is, why not give Allen a shot? A decision to hire him would upset the apple cart, no doubt but who wants the same recycled coaches changing teams every couple of years? What value do they have other than having "experience"???

.....and which team do you suggest boldly take this chance, when many HC's are usually one bad season away from being fired?  Surely you wouldn't approve if the Bombers threw caution to the wind and took such an uncalculated risk?

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What a terrible take?  So every CFL player post career should be entitled for a job as a O or D coordinator or HC?   

What makes Allen qualified to be given a coaching job?  Because he was healthy and had a long career?  Because he could run faster then most other QB's?   He has free time since he hasn't played or coached in 15 years?   

What if Cody Fajardo decided to retire and wanted to coach in 2023, should he be given a job because he also was a QB and wants to coach?    

Why teams recycle coaches... because when you sign coaches who are not familiar with the game you end up with Count Chocula Bart Andrus.   Or when you sign guys who haven't been around the league a long time then you end up with Mike Kelly.   

Usually QB's who transition to coaching are the qbs who were as players always known to spend a tonne of time in the film room and known to be able to dissect plays and create plays.  Dinwiddie was always looked as a guy who would be a good coach because his ability to break down a play and his time he put into the game film.   

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

What a terrible take?  So every CFL player post career should be entitled for a job as a O or D coordinator or HC?   

What makes Allen qualified to be given a coaching job?  Because he was healthy and had a long career?  Because he could run faster then most other QB's?   He has free time since he hasn't played or coached in 15 years?   

What if Cody Fajardo decided to retire and wanted to coach in 2023, should he be given a job because he also was a QB and wants to coach?    

Why teams recycle coaches... because when you sign coaches who are not familiar with the game you end up with Count Chocula Bart Andrus.   Or when you sign guys who haven't been around the league a long time then you end up with Mike Kelly.   

Usually QB's who transition to coaching are the qbs who were as players always known to spend a tonne of time in the film room and known to be able to dissect plays and create plays.  Dinwiddie was always looked as a guy who would be a good coach because his ability to break down a play and his time he put into the game film.   

Being a qb who becomes a coach after his playing days doesn't guarantee his success either. Your Fajardo analogy could be right or could be wrong. He might be a failure or he may be a success. Recycling coaches just gives us the same old stuff. Every team runs the same typr of plays. Nothing new or innovative. Bringing in a guy like Allen would be an interesting decision for sure.

Just to be clear, I'm simply playing the role of Devil's Advocate here for discussion purposes only. A head coach has to want to bring Damon Allen in. So far, no one has even considered him for any coaching position in the CFL. I'm not advocating for Allen. I don't know & have never met him. It's just an interesting thing to talk about. 

9 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

.....and which team do you suggest boldly take this chance, when many HC's are usually one bad season away from being fired?  Surely you wouldn't approve if the Bombers threw caution to the wind and took such an uncalculated risk?

A Head Coach would only do this if he knew Allen & was confident in his abilities to put together a competent playbook & call the plays.  

12 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Outgoing Alouettes president with a mic drop on loudmouth Gary Stern.  😂

I don't think that Gary Stern is the majority owner.  I'm pretty sure that's directed at the estate of the guy that Gary had partnered with to buy the team, based on some other tweets that have been floating around.

13 minutes ago, Sard said:

I don't think that Gary Stern is the majority owner.  I'm pretty sure that's directed at the estate of the guy that Gary had partnered with to buy the team, based on some other tweets that have been floating around.

nah, it was a shot at Stern, who also weighed in on that tweet thread...... I think him bailing half way through last season was not looked on fondly.

Quarterbacks coach Will Arndt leaves Ottawa Redblacks to resume playing career

https://3downnation.com/2022/12/21/quarterbacks-coach-will-arndt-leaves-ottawa-redblacks-to-resume-playing-career/

Weird, but with the two new leagues opening up and a dearth of available QB's in the CFL, he's probably looking at the opportunity to prolong his career and increase his pay packet, as he's only 29.  Can't say I can recall anything about his playing abilities.

Edited by Fatty Liver

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

https://3downnation.com/2022/12/21/quarterbacks-coach-will-arndt-leaves-ottawa-redblacks-to-resume-playing-career/

Weird, but with the two new leagues opening up and a dearth of available QB's in the CFL, he's probably looking at the opportunity to prolong his career and increase his pay packet, as he's only 29.  Can't say I can recall anything about his playing abilities.

I do. I remember when Arndt played for BC & Ottawa. He was your typical CFL back up who struggled at times but then showed brief glimpses of glory. As a coach, I think he had a lot of potential to be an OC in this league someday. But he still has the bug to play. I wish the guy all the luck.

My son blew out his hamstring in the off season at SFU training  going into his senior year in 2015. He couldn't run. It never healed properly & still bothers him today. He needs surgery. But at 32, he can get it done whenever he wants so he's not in a hurry. He wanted to keep playing but was forced to stop. That injury cost him the chance to be the starter in 2015. In limited playing time he tossed just one TD pass. Not the way Tyler wanted to go out as a player. He had plans to go to Europe to play (maybe) in Germany but couldn't go with his injured eg.

So good for Arndt, He's healthy & can still do it so why not? He controls his own destiny. If things don't work out as a player, in the XFL or USFL then maybe gettimg a job as a qb coach in the NCAA next year. Or going back to the CFL.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Wooo an opening for Damon Allen to apply for :D

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I do. I remember when Arndt played for BC & Ottawa. He was your typical CFL back up who struggled at times but then showed brief glimpses of glory. As a coach, I think he had a lot of potential to be an OC in this league someday. But he still has the bug to play. I wish the guy all the luck.

My son blew out his hamstring in the off season at SFU training  going into his senior year in 2015. He couldn't run. It never healed properly & still bothers him today. He needs surgery. But at 32, he can get it done whenever he wants so he's not in a hurry. He wanted to keep playing but was forced to stop. That injury cost him the chance to be the starter in 2015. In limited playing time he tossed just one TD pass. Not the way Tyler wanted to go out as a player. He had plans to go to Europe to play (maybe) in Germany but couldn't go with his injured eg.

So good for Arndt, He's healthy & can still do it so why not? He controls his own destiny. If things don't work out as a player, in the XFL or USFL then maybe gettimg a job as a qb coach in the NCAA next year. Or going back to the CFL.

Interesting that Arndt started his Canadian career with the Fort McMurray Monarchs of the Alberta Football League, I've never heard of that league before, but I guess that explains why they have a half-decent football stadium up there.  

Soooo....Neil McEvoy says if Rourke returns that they will redo his contract for this coming season. Just throwing it out there to end debate once and for all. A quote right from the horses mouth.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football/cfl/bc-lions/b-c-lions-nathan-rourke-decision-expected-early-in-new-year

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Spurgeon Wynn and Tracy Ham are also in the mix.

What about Kevin Glenn?

Edited by GCn20

42 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Soooo....Neil McEvoy says if Rourke returns that they will redo his contract for this coming season. Just throwing it out there to end debate once and for all. A quote right from the horses mouth.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football/cfl/bc-lions/b-c-lions-nathan-rourke-decision-expected-early-in-new-year

Interested to see what @TBURGESS has to say about this portion.

"Rourke, 24, is under contract with the Lions for next season, thanks to a three-year deal he signed with the team in May 2021. McEvoy said Tuesday that the Lions told Rourke in September that they would redo his deal for this coming season if he was to return, although McEvoy maintains the parties have not yet gotten into any specifics."

13 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

"Rourke, 24, is under contract with the Lions for next season, thanks to a three-year deal he signed with the team in May 2021. McEvoy said Tuesday that the Lions told Rourke in September that they would redo his deal for this coming season if he was to return, although McEvoy maintains the parties have not yet gotten into any specifics."

If I were him I would start with " I guess I was wrong and do not understand how option years work. Sorry for wasting everyone's time arguing something I clearly did not know enough about"

Edited by GCn20

48 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

He already addressed it. Earlier he said if Rourke gets a new contract it will only be because the CFL/CFLPA allow the Lions to essentially break the rules. So you see, it's not that Tburg is wrong...it's that the league will allow the Lions to cheat.

51 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I'll believe it when I see it. FTR: Redoing his deal doesn't mean more money than the CBA option says for draft picks. 

My guess is that Rourke signs with an NFL team in January for north of $750,000 USD or 1 Million CAD. No way BC can be competitive with that money. 

50 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'll believe it when I see it. FTR: Redoing his deal doesn't mean more money than the CBA option says for draft picks. 

My guess is that Rourke signs with an NFL team in January for north of $750,000 USD or 1 Million CAD. No way BC can be competitive with that money. 

Unfortunately, the next paragraph from the one quoted above says that he will pay him more if he stays. You are doubling down on a concept that has been undeniably disproven by the words and actions of Neil McEvoy. Not sure if it is ego, or just blissful ignorance on your part but the article thoroughly and beyond a shadow of a doubt completely debunks your entire argument. It is not up for debate, McEvoy states he will renegotiate his contract to get him a more competitive salary for this year if he returns. I can't imagine how you can possibly argue against the words of the BC GM. I suspected you would turn up and try to weasel out of what should have been an AHA moment for you, that is unfortunate.

First you said his deal couldn't be redone, now you are saying it can be redone but with no increase in pay for this year...lmao...all the while you obviously did not read the article linked just the one paragraph quoted above....just like you didn't take the time to look up option year and what options players and teams have in the CBA...just chose to quote one provision from the CBA that only applies if the team chooses not to renegotiate but pick up the option.

Edited by GCn20