2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

26 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Gappers have managed to get older and worse 

A+ off season 

they have had a horrible off-season...there was available upgrades at many positi0ns where they have a huge need....and swing and a miss at all of them....and If they consider Harris..Godber..Blake..Michah Johnson...Walker...heck even Weinike as doing admirable work they are delusional....every instance of all those signings is settling....not re-loading....that not to mention every coach basically saying thanks...but no thanks to them...

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

they have had a horrible off-season...there was available upgrades at many positi0ns where they have a huge need....and swing and a miss at all of them....and If they consider Harris..Godber..Blake..Michah Johnson...Walker...heck even Weinike as doing admirable work they are delusional....every instance of all those signings is settling....not re-loading....that not to mention every coach basically saying thanks...but no thanks to them...

I"m amazed at what's happened to Craig Dickenson. It must be the culture of Riderville. he's totally changed. The guy has taken on a villainous persona. We saw how he treats players that have fallen out of favour with him. We saw how he constantly defended Garrett Marino last season after he injured Jeremiah Massoli. Most coaches would have cut him on the spot but not Dickenson. A few days ago, he was mouthing off again to the media about something he was unhappy about. Like I said, he used to be one of the league's good guys. Now he's becone an asshat. 

Why would a separatist like Pierre Paladeau want the Als? This is a head scratcher. I think one of the reasons Quebec City doesn't have an NHL team is because the NHL didn't want the political baggage that would have come with his ownership. I mean, what will he want? A French GM & Head Coach??

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why would a separatist like Pierre Paladeau want the Als? This is a head scratcher. I think one of the reasons Quebec City doesn't have an NHL team is because the NHL didn't want the political baggage that would have come with his ownership. I mean, what will he want? A French GM & Head Coach??

There are efficiencies and overlaps that Quebecor can exploit. It'll still be a money loser, but it can generate revenue across their platforms in different ways.

Like a small scale version of Rogers and the Jays.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Walker is over the hill. Too old. Lots of miles on that creaky body. He'll have some great games but he'll also disappear during an 18 game season. 

He has lost a step. I have never seen a player regain that step once it's lost. His numbers will decline yet again.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I"m amazed at what's happened to Craig Dickenson. It must be the culture of Riderville. he's totally changed. The guy has taken on a villainous persona. We saw how he treats players that have fallen out of favour with him. We saw how he constantly defended Garrett Marino last season after he injured Jeremiah Massoli. Most coaches would have cut him on the spot but not Dickenson. A few days ago, he was mouthing off again to the media about something he was unhappy about. Like I said, he used to be one of the league's good guys. Now he's becone an asshat. 

He has stepped out of his brother's asshat shadow.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He wants to prove that he can own a professional franchise without being a sideshow that will scare other owners, so that he can point to a strong ownership record to the NHL. That would be my guess. Plus, like it or not he is a businessman and owning a CFL team brings you a bunch of goodwill in the community.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Better a once-separatist (maybe he still is? IDK) billionaire than nobody at all I say. I don't want the Als to fold, but I don't want the other 8 teams to pay for it, there is enough of that going on as it is.

If he is passionate about the team, he definitely has the money, and this will be great news for the CFL.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

He has lost a step. I have never seen a player regain that step once it's lost. His numbers will decline yet again.

He has stepped out of his brother's asshat shadow.

He wants to prove that he can own a professional franchise without being a sideshow that will scare other owners, so that he can point to a strong ownership record to the NHL. That would be my guess. Plus, like it or not he is a businessman and owning a CFL team brings you a bunch of goodwill in the community.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

If he is passionate about the team, he definitely has the money, and this will be great news for the CFL.

nothing but good....and its a vehicle to use as a write off as well if losses incur....they need a deep pocketed owner there....invested in the province

so much anti-French sentiment in this thread.... it's interesting. I understand hate for separation, but is Alberta's current situation any different?? Maybe I've just been living in rural AB for too long (definitely...) but people getting their backs up immediately over anything French related just makes me roll my eyes. 

29 minutes ago, Noeller said:

so much anti-French sentiment in this thread.... it's interesting. I understand hate for separation, but is Alberta's current situation any different?? Maybe I've just been living in rural AB for too long (definitely...) but people getting their backs up immediately over anything French related just makes me roll my eyes. 

Oh, it's not anti-French, it's anti-separation, IMO. We have plenty of Alberta separation feelings too. 

22 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Are you taking about Twitter or here? Because there is no anti-French sentiment at all in this thread on MBB, unless I'm completely out to lunch here?

I'm not going to go back and multi-quote all the posts, but all the anti-Quebec/anti-French sentiment in here is almost every other post. "You can't sell to a separatist!" says a guy who is a lifelong voter of a provincial party that would love to separate from Canada..."they'd better not call it Montreal Quebecois!" in another..... just so ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm not going to go back and multi-quote all the posts, but all the anti-Quebec/anti-French sentiment in here is almost every other post. "You can't sell to a separatist!" says a guy who is a lifelong voter of a provincial party that would love to separate from Canada..."they'd better not call it Montreal Quebecois!" in another..... just so ridiculous.

Speaking personally, I'm more curious if there would be a trickle down effect from ownership. For example, the usual pressure for the Canadiens to have a francophone coach. Nothing negative or anti-french, but there is definitely strong nationalism from that part of the world. 

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Speaking personally, I'm more curious if there would be a trickle down effect from ownership. For example, the usual pressure for the Canadiens to have a francophone coach. Nothing negative or anti-french, but there is definitely strong nationalism from that part of the world. 

He's already got former Carribins head coach running things, so that should be okay. PKP is an alum. 

But, I don't think that the Als have the same role in Francophone cultural as the Canadiens do. 

Quite frankly, all I care about is that the cheques don't bounce when someone takes over in Montreal.

If Quebec wants to separate, they should, as long as they take their portion of the debt, don't use Canadian money or any other services, and allow whatever parts of Quebec that want to stay in Canada stay. Canada is like an unhappy marriage. Quebec is the wife who wants to leave everything behind except the benefits. The rest of Canada is the husband, who keeps giving things to the wife to keep her happy, despite knowing that it's all a farce. 

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

well I went back a looked and you've covered the two slightly "anti-French" posts in this thread... I'd say that's a long cry from being a massive anti-French/Quebec vibe in the thread...

on the other hand, anti-Riders...

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

He's already got former Carribins head coach running things, so that should be okay. PKP is an alum. 

But, I don't think that the Als have the same role in Francophone cultural as the Canadiens do. 

I have a relative that was a prof in Montreal for a long time. Anglophone, but fully bilingual obvs, and he told me about that once. Said the Habs are very much the team for French-Quebec, and the Als are more Anglo-Quebec's team. Obviously that's not 100%, but "for the most part..." kinda thing.