2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

37 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He's finished before he started. Beathard is Number 2 in stone. The articles I've read don't even mention Rourke. 

Beathard is your standard journeyman clipboard holder. His name is certainly not written in stone. He's insurance to keep around in case Rourke stinks it up.

Rourke was always going to have to earn his spot on the depth chart - this is just the guy he has to beat.

5 hours ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Interesting, Jacksonville re-signs CJ Beathard to backup Trevor Lawrence.  I wonder how fair a shot Rourke will get at #2 QB.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/24/jaguars-extend-c-j-beathard/

With a name like that he shouldn’t be hard to beat out for rourke…

never believed they were gonna run him as a no2 going into camp. That said he may have a great chance at sticking around on the pr. Better chance than mbt has of getting another nfl look after the usfl season any way. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Beathard is your standard journeyman clipboard holder. His name is certainly not written in stone. He's insurance to keep around in case Rourke stinks it up.

Rourke was always going to have to earn his spot on the depth chart - this is just the guy he has to beat.

He got a two year $4.5 million deal with incentives for another 2 million. They wanted Beathard back. Rourke's going to find the NFL a humbling & frustrating experience like most CFL qbs that went through this also have.

12 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

I smell an “el foldo” coming.

Yeah, I appreciate the fact that I look at these leagues cynically with great bias. But even with taking a step back and trying to look at things critically...how do they maintain this for the length of time it would take to build a following?

It's funny how these US non-NFL leagues come and go.  It seems that between high school ball, college ball and the NFL, Americans really don't want/need anything else.  Yet at the same time, once this latest league folds, someone with more money than brains will come along and try it again.  And at the same time, the usual suspects in Canada will declare that this (insert new league name here) is the end of the CFL.  And round and round we go.

Edited by WBBFanWest

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

https://www.riderville.com/2023/02/27/remodelled-roughriders-adhering-to-proven-formula/

Well this is amazing... I'm pretty sure this is written 100% unironically... but it's so absurd, it's hard to tell... anyways, if you want a laugh today, give this a read

Two ways to read this article

1) Let's spend a long time talking about 10 years ago so we don't have to think about now

2) Everything is going according to plan, relax

Here's the thing, the Riders could go out and scout a bunch of great Americans and bring them in. And, a whole bunch might work out, by the end of the season, they'll have done a good job rebuilding their team. 

But, who thinks Dickie lasts more than a handful of games if they start poorly? And, who thinks they're going to start poorly because I certainly do. There's too much turnover there for everything to gel fast. 

O'Day will do anything to protect his job, so he'll ditch Dickie if he thinks it might save his hide. 

Players know this too. That's why they take less upfront to not have to deal with the circus. 

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

Here's the thing, the Riders could go out and scout a bunch of great Americans and bring them in. And, a whole bunch might work out, by the end of the season, they'll have done a good job rebuilding their team. 

But, who thinks Dickie lasts more than a handful of games if they start poorly? And, who thinks they're going to start poorly because I certainly do. There's too much turnover there for everything to gel fast. 

O'Day will do anything to protect his job, so he'll ditch Dickie if he thinks it might save his hide. 

Players know this too. That's why they take less upfront to not have to deal with the circus. 

It appears that the Riders play against Edmonton twice,  Calgary and Winnipeg for their first 4 games.     They really need to pull off at least one win against the Elks otherwise I can't see them not making a coaching change. 

11 hours ago, bearpants said:

https://www.riderville.com/2023/02/27/remodelled-roughriders-adhering-to-proven-formula/

Well this is amazing... I'm pretty sure this is written 100% unironically... but it's so absurd, it's hard to tell... anyways, if you want a laugh today, give this a read

Jee-zus... WTF was that?

Did Vanstone have to give up his brain in order to take this job with the Riders? What a bunch of fanboy drivel.

Vanstone, and all other Rider media, is given their talking points and the overall gist of their article and then just use their words to convey the message. It is why the fan base is so delusional. They have a never ending diet of media pablum served directly from the team. 

Vanstone was given a job with the Riders so that they could muzzle the one reporter who actually dared to ask some tough questions. Simple as that.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So on Vanstone and his article, Picard was coming off an Eastern All Star season and Labatte was coming off three Eastern All Star nods and an All CFL nod. Godber and Blake are not really at the same level.

For sure. Comparing Godber, who is barely CFL starter capable and Grandpa Blake to Picard and Labatte is an absolutely insane reach. Godber and Blake are barely an improvement over Clark/(any of the 45 OTs that Riders used last year).

Godber got dumped the second Couture became available....and Couture was kind of off his game the last year and a half. That ought to tell the gappers something. Blake, if he was going in at OG, would be a minor improvement but Dickie says he is going to OT where he had one of the worst records among OTs in the CFL last year. Same pylons....different names on the back of their jerseys. Harris is gonna be flatter than a big mac patty by the end of the first third of the season. I am not wishing an injury on him.....but logic is telling me he will not get past game 4-5.

Edited by GCn20