2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

33 minutes ago, JCon said:

An embarrassment to the league. I hope they lose all their home games until they fire him and clear out the board that hired him. 

Won’t happen. Jones will quit on them (again), leaving them twisting in the wind, and jump to the next shiny opportunity before they have the chance to fire him. 

CFL reaches agreement on sale of Montreal Alouettes: report
By 3Down Staff -March 9, 2023

The Montreal Alouettes have finally been sold, according to a new report from Richard Dufour of LaPresse.  The deal is expected to be announced during a press conference at Olympic Stadium on Friday morning. CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie will be in attendance.

The CFL took over interim control of the Alouettes franchise last month in the hopes of finding a new owner. The team’s future was placed in jeopardy after the estate of the late Sid Spiegel elected to stop funding operations.

The Alouettes were originally purchased by S and S Sportsco, a corporate entity owned by Spiegel and his son-in-law Gary Stern, in January 2020. However, Spiegel passed away in July of 2021 having never seen his team play, leaving his 75 percent stake in the franchise under the control of two anonymous lawyers.

The team had previously endured a year-long period of league ownership after long-time owner Robert Wetenhall surrender the franchise in May of 2019.

The league recently entered into exclusive negotiations with Quebecor Inc. about the sale of the team. The Montreal-based media and telecommunications company operates assets such as Videotron, Groupe TVA, Le Journal de Montreal and Le Journal de Quebec. Their sports and entertainment division currently owns and operates the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada and Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

The company is controlled by president and CEO Pierre Karl Péladeau, a prominent businessman and former politician who briefly served as the leader of the separatist Parti Québécois. The 61-year-old Montreal native has an estimated net worth of $1.9 billion USD.

Either Quebecor or Peladeau himself is expected to be announced as the team’s new owner, with clarity around the structure of ownership coming on Friday morning. Interim team president Mario Cecchini, who helped oversee the search for new owners alongside the league’s investment banking partner Park Lane, was announced as the new commissioner of the QMJHL on Tuesday and will not be returning to the franchise.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wonder if Paladeau will build a new stadium for the Als? They really have to get out of Molson stadium. Also, is Paladeau the first French owner of the Als since Leo Dandurand & his 2 English buds Eric Craddock & Lew Hayman in 1946?

I can't see anyone financing a stadium, unless you work it with MLS. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

The Bronfmans are trying to build a baseball stadium to get a MLB team back. Looks like things are just kind of in limbo with that project. Nothing like a billionaire to put $$$ into a new stadium that could hold baseball & football.

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Bronfmans are trying to build a baseball stadium to get a MLB team back. Looks like things are just kind of in limbo with that project. Nothing like a billionaire to put $$$ into a new stadium that could hold baseball & football.

You can only use a baseball stadium in off-season. MLB would never allow it to be shared with a football team. 

9 hours ago, JCon said:

Hot take here but I think it’s likely long-term the Als move West to a somewhat more accessible area of Downtown Montreal to a shared stadium with a Montreal/Concordia CIS teams.

Quebec City is also an option.

The current situation can’t go on much longer on a money-in, money-out cash flow basis with the lack of available revenue at McGill.

They’ve got the right owner now who can align government with his empire to get things done…has a strong history of doing that.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/03/10/pierre-karl-peladeau-acquires-the-montreal-alouettes/

MONTREAL — The Canadian Football League is pleased to announce the conclusion of a transaction with entrepreneur and businessman Pierre Karl Péladeau, who personally acquired the Montreal Alouettes.

“Our goal in this process was to put the Alouettes on a path to long-term success, ideally under strong, local ownership,” said CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie.

“That goal has been accomplished. This is a special day for this incredible franchise, its fans across Quebec, and the city of Montreal. Pierre Karl and his passion for sports, entertainment and his community are remarkable. I know he will do a tremendous job in stewarding the Alouettes.”

2 minutes ago, BagBlieBulls said:

Tsn is getting nervous about some competition for broadcast rights right now I bet. I would love to see the CFL split airtime between a couple networks. Competition will breed a better product.

Uh, what competition?

3 minutes ago, BagBlieBulls said:

Tsn takes the CFL for granite 

Bon apple tea.

31 minutes ago, BagBlieBulls said:

Tsn is getting nervous about some competition for broadcast rights right now I bet. I would love to see the CFL split airtime between a couple networks. Competition will breed a better product. Tsn takes the CFL for granite 

The league would also be dead without the TSN contract. So a little bit of not wanting to bite the hand that feeds you.