2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

35 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Apparently Peladeau wanted broadcast rights to Alouette games as part of the purchase. The CFL has agreed to let him bid on these once the current TSN contract runs out in 2025. This has to be good for the league.

I'd like to see TSN's hold on the CFL Englsh broadcast rights challenged as well, having a monopoly may have made sense in the 1990's but not today. 

10 hours ago, Jesse said:

That doesn't happen.

New stadiums/arenas only happen when they are heavily subsidized (entirely paid for) by the government and there is zero appetite for that kind of spending right now.

No, I'm saying he could if he wanted to. 

On 3/4/2023 at 12:01 PM, bluto said:

As a citizen of the Greater Toronto Area, I reserve the right to be maximally offensive when discussing the various podunks that the rest of Canada inhabits.

I likewise will take very little umbrage over what those bumpkins think about the Centre of the Universe.

Even as a member of the Centre of The Universe, Bluto you are loved. ;) 

4 hours ago, BagBlieBulls said:

Tsn is getting nervous about some competition for broadcast rights right now I bet. I would love to see the CFL split airtime between a couple networks. Competition will breed a better product. Tsn takes the CFL for granite 

That's an extremely hard take. 

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

The league would also be dead without the TSN contract. So a little bit of not wanting to bite the hand that feeds you. 

That monopoly was great in the 1990's when the CFL nearly folded. The CFL would have been dead without the CBC broadcasting games in the 1950's as well. Times change & it's also time to move on from a damned single cable broadcaster tbnat does an absolute shitty job promoting the league. No free agent coverage. No CFL awards coverage. Complete **** broadcast of the CFL draft. 

No one reporter from TSN covered  the biggest CFL news story of the off season with the ownership change in Montreal. Dave Naylor is too busy creaming his jeans about a couple of Canadian twins at Illinois making waves at their pro day yeaterday. And bragging how a record number of Canadians will get drafted by NFL teams. (Maybe it's time to abolish the ratio if more & more Canadians are playing in the NFL). Farhan Lalji is out there somewhere.  God knows where. The two guys paid to cover the CFL are too busy covering the NFL Combine & pro days to care. 

I like Naylor as well so I'm prepared to cut him some slack. I'm so so on Lalji since his man crush on Nathan Rourke so I'm pretty disaapointed with the coverage on the league's "flagship" network today by these two. I'm constantly underwhelmed with the coverage TSN provides the CFL. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If so it will be built on the bones of English speaking Quebecers.

In Calgary, there's a movement to bid on the 2030 Commonwealth Games. It was made public on Thuesday. They'll have to build new track & field facilities. The organizers gave no promises that money would be spent on McMahon Stadium or a new stadium. NO PROMISES.... Like WTF????? I'd support the bid if Calgary got financed for a new stadium or at very least a major, major reno of the dump of a football stadium we have here now. If not, **** it. These ******* politicians here in this city are so ******* clueless. 

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That monopoly was great in the 1990's when the CFL nearly folded. The CFL would have been dead without the CBC broadcasting games in the 1950's as well. Times change & it's also time to move on from a damned single cable broadcaster tbnat does an absolute shitty job promoting the league. No free agent coverage. No CFL awards coverage. Complete **** broadcast of the CFL draft. 

No one reporter from TSN covered  the biggest CFL news story of the off season with the ownership change in Montreal. Dave Naylor is too busy creaming his jeans about a couple of Canadian twins at Illinois making waves at their pro day yeaterday. And bragging how a record number of Canadians will get drafted by NFL teams. (Maybe it's time to abolish the ratio if more & more Canadians are playing in the NFL). Farhan Lalji is out there somewhere.  God knows where. The two guys paid to cover the CFL are too busy covering the NFL Combine & pro days to care. 

I like Naylor as well so I'm prepared to cut him some slack. I'm so so on Lalji since his man crush on Nathan Rourke so I'm pretty disaapointed with the coverage on the league's "flagship" network today by these two. I'm constantly underwhelmed with the coverage TSN provides the CFL. 

I agree with this in theory, but who else out there is offering more dollars and better production?

The options are limited. 

On 2023-03-11 at 8:18 AM, Jesse said:

I agree with this in theory, but who else out there is offering more dollars and better production?

The options are limited. 

No one is going to beat the money or even match it and provide worse production quality. In the past cbc and sports net have carried cfl and you don’t have to go too far back. Plus the score exists. 
 Today, the Olympic and nhl are far more limited in networks than when the cfl was last spread out in terms of rights. It’s a great time to look around at these different networks for competition. 

On 2023-03-10 at 5:57 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

In Calgary, there's a movement to bid on the 2030 Commonwealth Games. It was made public on Thuesday. They'll have to build new track & field facilities. The organizers gave no promises that money would be spent on McMahon Stadium or a new stadium. NO PROMISES.... Like WTF????? I'd support the bid if Calgary got financed for a new stadium or at very least a major, major reno of the dump of a football stadium we have here now. If not, **** it. These ******* politicians here in this city are so ******* clueless. 

Calgary is a great city that needs new facilities and seems deadset against it for some reason. Unfortunate.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Calgary is a great city that needs new facilities and seems deadset against it for some reason. Unfortunate.

Great city? Nah

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

I suspect that Calgarians feel that they are so much on a different level that they have outgrown the CFL.

Nobody outside of Calgary talks about  Calgary. 

Edited by Geebrr

11 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Needs a new baseball stadium. The old one is abandoned & rotting away. It'll never get built.

Needs a new football stadium. It will never be built in my lifetime. 

Needs a new fieldhouse. Unbelieivably, it's been on the books to build for the past 60 years but has never been financed. Edmonton has 3 fieldhouses. It will never be built. 

Year #4 of negotiations for a new arena. They had an agreement in place until our stupid Mayor decided she wanted solar panels on the building & other "climate mitigation" that would have cost $12 million after the agreement was signed. Flames walked away from the deal just weeks before shovels were in the ground. After 12 months, they went back to negotiations & started from the beginning again. Meanwhile inflation has probably pushed the coat of the arena from $600 million to nearly a billion. 

Yeah sure, great city. It used to be. Not anymore. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

I suspect that Calgarians feel that they are so much on a different level that they have outgrown the CFL.

which is funny, cause really....what they got there?....old out dated cruddy sports venues, and only 1 other professional team...the Flames....big deal....not sure what gives them the self perceived impression they all that and a bag of chips

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

Not sure why they would think that. but if they do they are out to lunch. They are no different than Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Edmonton as a city really, and are not even remotely comparable to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver.

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Needs a new baseball stadium. The old one is abandoned & rotting away. It'll never get built.

Needs a new football stadium. It will never be built in my lifetime. 

Needs a new fieldhouse. Unbelieivably, it's been on the books to build for the past 60 years but has never been financed. Edmonton has 3 fieldhouses. It will never be built. 

Year #4 of negotiations for a new arena. They had an agreement in place until our stupid Mayor decided she wanted solar panels on the building & other "climate mitigation" that would have cost $12 million after the agreement was signed. Flames walked away from the deal just weeks before shovels were in the ground. After 12 months, they went back to negotiations & started from the beginning again. Meanwhile inflation has probably pushed the coat of the arena from $600 million to nearly a billion. 

Yeah sure, great city. It used to be. Not anymore. 

Fair enough, I haven't been to Calgary in the past decade or so.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:37 PM, Tracker said:

The separatist utterings from Quebec are empty rhetoric. If separated, they would have to assume a portion of the national debt, constitute a separate army, have a separate currency, set up border services, negotiate trade agreements with multiple countries (including Canada) and then the BIG elephant in the room- any region within Quebec would then have the precedent to pursue independence from Quebec. Its a complete Pandora's box. Not to mention then every francophone in the rest of Canada would lose their language rights.

Separation is not in their best interests. Not sure why they think it is? They have been living off transfer payments for a long, long time. If they had to fund their own province it would be mayhem. All the things they crow about that makes them a unique culture (free education etc) would be unaffordable. They aren't separating any time soon, they know it, and it's high time our government starts disregarding this empty threat.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:43 PM, Booch said:

they have had a horrible off-season...there was available upgrades at many positi0ns where they have a huge need....and swing and a miss at all of them....and If they consider Harris..Godber..Blake..Michah Johnson...Walker...heck even Weinike as doing admirable work they are delusional....every instance of all those signings is settling....not re-loading....that not to mention every coach basically saying thanks...but no thanks to them...

I was just going through Trevor Harris's game logs from last year. Scary bad against the Western teams except the Riders. The guy averaged less than 200 yards per game and threw less than a TD per game with a very pedestrian QB rating of 89.4. He feasted and got his passing stats off of mainly Ottawa and Hamilton. Now that he gets far more games against the West his numbers are going to tumble. Especially since he doesn't have nearly as good an OL or receiving corps this year. I know that a lot of Rider fans are excited about getting him but really his numbers don't show him being any better than Fajardo was last year against the West and Fajardo at least had somewhat of an excuse.

Edited by GCn20

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I was just going through Trevor Harris's game logs from last year. Scary bad against the Western teams except the Riders. The guy averaged less than 200 yards per game and threw less than a TD per game with a very pedestrian QB rating of 89.4. He feasted and got his passing stats off of mainly Ottawa and Hamilton. Now that he gets far more games against the West his numbers are going to tumble. Especially since he doesn't have nearly as good an OL or receiving corps this year. I know that a lot of Rider fans are excited about getting him but really his numbers don't show him being any better than Fajardo was last year against the West and Fajardo at least had somewhat of an excuse.

This is going to be another fun season of watching the tire fire next door.

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

This is going to be another fun season of watching the tire fire next door.

Should have deleted them for sure, but in fairness to Ballsy these tweets are 3 years old and he is right. In 2019, Harris was easily the most over rated QB in the CFL. In 2023, I don't think many people regard him as a top calibre QB anymore. In 2019 people were talking him up as the MOP even though his red zone % and win % were awful.