2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

17 hours ago, bearpants said:

https://www.riderville.com/2023/02/27/remodelled-roughriders-adhering-to-proven-formula/

Well this is amazing... I'm pretty sure this is written 100% unironically... but it's so absurd, it's hard to tell... anyways, if you want a laugh today, give this a read

Wow...

Thanks for the funnies.

I hate- HATE vanstone's writing style... he writes like a dyslexic 2nd year theater major, using a third-rate thesaurus program to  cosplay as Frasier Crane.

I ******* HATE his writing style- it literally gets me white knuckled rage texting...

My poor phone...

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

4 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Makes me think of Friesen or Wiecek a little differently. They harped on about every real or perceived flaw the team had, but at least they weren't blowing smoke up our asses. I still don't like them though haha

Ed Tait as a Bomber staffer is still less biased than those too. 

30 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I dont find it boring at all! I find it hilarious and boner inducing(thats for you TrueBlue4ever).

@Bubba ZanettiThanks for the personal notification, and I’m flattered by your interest in me to let me know about your present state of arousal, but I prefer women. (Not that there’s a nothing wrong with that). 

30 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I dont find it boring at all! I find it hilarious and boner inducing(thats for you TrueBlue4ever).

Ummmm low brow humor is not reserved for 14 year olds dear sir.

For generations, it's been open to all to help us not take ourselves too seriously.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

True but I do miss him working free of the required bias

that's a fair comment, but I really haven't noticed a LOT of difference. Ed was rarely overly harsh on the team, and I'm sure that's part of the reason they wanted to bring him on board in the first place. I remember listening to Doug Brown's "Handled Internally" episode, and he talked about how the players, during his time, always liked Ed best because he was fair and rarely ever dumped on them unless it was absolutely warranted. I'm not saying Ed is a fanboi, but I think he's opposite of Friesen.... will err on the side of positive rather than negative. 

Just now, Mike said:

True but I do miss him working free of the required bias

Tait does write the standard pro-Bomber patter for the website, but still does so without the fanboy gushing. It’s par for the course for club-hired guns across sports. Plus, the club’s recent success makes it easier for him to appear even-handed in his praise. But I still like that when on CJOB he can be objective and call a spade a spade, especially on game day if the performance is lacking. 

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

Tait writes stories now. He used to write news articles. 

he is more of a Columnist now than a reporter, for sure, which is the gig, I suppose.... I'm not sure how you can be a reporter, when acting as the team's written-media lead....

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

he is more of a Columnist now than a reporter, for sure, which is the gig, I suppose.... I'm not sure how you can be a reporter, when acting as the team's written-media lead....

When I was back in the ad biz, I'd occasionally have to write pieces on businesses that didn't follow typical ad copywriting style.  They were more stories about the business and less about selling - but they still paid for the space.

We called them "advertorials".  Ed Tait is an advertorialist.

6 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

When I was back in the ad biz, I'd occasionally have to write pieces on businesses that didn't follow typical ad copywriting style.  They were more stories about the business and less about selling - but they still paid for the space.

We called them "advertorials".  Ed Tait is an advertorialist.

that's an EXTREMELY cynical viewpoint, IMO. 

I'll admit that I'm biased.... Ed's writing (and he knows this) is a big part of why I got into media. I initially wanted to be a sports writer because of Ed and, to a degree, Gary Lawless. I started as an undergrad at BU with hopes of transferring for post-grad Journalism school at U of R, but ended up into what was then known as "electronic media" at ACC and, along with lots of other stuff, ended up in sports broadcasting rather than sports writing, per se. So I'm definitely a known biased-fan of Ed's work going back 30 years now, but still..... I think calling his BB.com pieces "advertorials" is extremely cynical if not wholly inaccurate. 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that's an EXTREMELY cynical viewpoint, IMO. 

I'll admit that I'm biased.... Ed's writing (and he knows this) is a big part of why I got into media. I initially wanted to be a sports writer because of Ed and, to a degree, Gary Lawless. I started as an undergrad at BU with hopes of transferring for post-grad Journalism school at U of R, but ended up into what was then known as "electronic media" at ACC and, along with lots of other stuff, ended up in sports broadcasting rather than sports writing, per se. So I'm definitely a known biased-fan of Ed's work going back 30 years now, but still..... I think calling his BB.com pieces "advertorials" is extremely cynical if not wholly inaccurate. 

I've always been (and still am) a fan of Ed's writing and his radio commentary.  I am speaking more to the output than the man.

Better rephrase:  Ed's columns are advertorials for the Blue Bombers.  It's all semantics, really.  It's also his role with the organization and because he's an accomplished writer, they don't come off as ads or promos - but they serve that purpose.

Edited by Wideleft

Tait works for the Bombers. He can't be critical of the team by calling them out or he's fired. He's not a columnist. Columnists are paid to have an opinion & for giving it. Having said that, I like Ed Tait. I'd rather he be doing that than being silenced by the Postmedia purge of the newspaper industry in this country. So many talented writers & reporters silenced. Postmedia are ******* bastards. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Tait works for the Bombers. He can't be critical of the team by calling them out or he's fired. He's not a columnist. Columnists are paid to have an opinion & for giving it. Having said that, I like Ed Tait. I'd rather he be doing that than being silenced by the Postmedia purge of the newspaper industry in this country. So many talented writers & reporters silenced. Postmedia are ******* bastards. 

Daily reminder that the Winnipeg Free Press is independently owned and probably the best newspaper left in the country.  That being said, I miss Melissa Martin and Ryan Thorpe already.

8 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Daily reminder that the Winnipeg Free Press is independently owned and probably the best newspaper left in the country.  That being said, I miss Melissa Martin and Ryan Thorpe already.

Read a story about the Montreal Gazette which is owned by Postmedia. They were supposed to lay off a number of writers, reporters & production staff last week. Something in the order of 30 people. However, public backlash once the move became public was so severe that PM only laid off a handful of employees, including longtime sportswriter Pat Hickey who covered all the pro sports in Montreal. 

A consortium headed by former Gazette columnist David Farber attempted to buy the Gazette from Postmedia so they could run it independently. However, PM refused to sell even though PM itself is losing hundreds of millions of dollars itself each year. Seems the majority of PM's shares are owned by hedge fund out of New Jersey who seems hell bent on destroying the newspaper industry in Canada. In other words, they'd rather grind each paper into ground than sell off their newspaper assets. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Went to high-school with Thorpe, we hung out in the same group of friends. Very smart guy and was well informed even then

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Melissa Martin left? Noooooo! She was far and away my favourite Freep writer.

Took a leave... Sabbatical basically. She wrote a really nice "goodbye for now" piece about a month or so ago. Hopefully she'll be back.. 

9 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Melissa Martin left? Noooooo! She was far and away my favourite Freep writer.

I hope you subscribe to her Substack. Her writing is so fantastic. 

https://melissamartin.substack.com/

She just wrote a new piece about Kyiv and AI. Before that, she hadn't posted anything for a while.