2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Collaros just needs some longevity. His current contract puts him at 5 seasons with us (shortened season notwithstanding), which is kind of my personal minimum for "all time" honours. 

he had some really good time with Hamilton, as well, though, which I think counts toward his "all time" status.... his Cups here just cement it all. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

he had some really good time with Hamilton, as well, though, which I think counts toward his "all time" status.... his Cups here just cement it all. 

Yeah, just all his bad injury luck prevented him from getting full seasons. 

All counts for his career number though.

Again, if you do things half assed then this is what happens. Both JOD & especially Dickenson threw his assistants under the bus for his mistakes tnhat he refused to be accountable for. Those guys should have been fired & they weren't. If the HC doesn't have his assistants backs then no one will want to work for those guys. The Riders deserve everything that happens to them. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Again, if you do things half assed then this is what happens. Both JOD & especially Dickenson threw his assistants under the bus for his mistakes tnhat he refused to be accountable for. Those guys should have been fired & they weren't. If the HC doesn't have his assistants backs then no one will want to work for those guys. The Riders deserve everything that happens to them. 

i see makes sense GIF

16 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Is there anyone else left to turn them down?

What's especially a red flag about this is Costanza (can't-stand-ya) has been in the league for a long time and has been considered a bright offensive mind for a long time... he left Calgary because there was no path to an OC job there... and same thing in Winnipeg after one season when Buck had a really good year... so he finally gets a chance at one of only 9 "dream jobs" and says "no thanks"...

BTW.... if there was ever a chance we were to lose Buck... Costanza is a guy I was hoping we'd look to bring back. 

Just now, bearpants said:

What's especially a red flag about this is Costanza (can't-stand-ya) has been in the league for a long time and has been considered a bright offensive mind for a long time... he left Calgary because there was no path to an OC job there... and same thing in Winnipeg after one season when Buck had a really good year... so he finally gets a chance at one of only 9 "dream jobs" and says "no thanks"...

BTW.... if there was ever a chance we were to lose Buck... Costanza is a guy I was hoping we'd look to bring back. 

Yep, and I don't buy the spin that coaches are worried about O'Day/Dicky getting canned so they don't want to uproot for a season (or less).  Positional coaches like Constanza take one year deals all the time, that's par for the course until you get into a higher role.  

How does it look for the coach who they finally do hire to be the 8th or 9th choice?  Their RB coach is the only known candidate left (according to Dunk).  😂

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I'm sure the HC/GM issue plays a role at least a bit. Not in the sense that they may be gone next year...but in the sense that they just aren't very good. Add the other factors of the worst Oline in the history of the CFL and no QB or even QB prospect, questions at multiple WR positions and it makes sense that most guys want to stay away (for now).

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Yep, and I don't buy the spin that coaches are worried about O'Day/Dicky getting canned so they don't want to uproot for a season (or less).  Positional coaches like Constanza take one year deals all the time, that's par for the course until you get into a higher role.  

How does it look for the coach who they finally do hire to be the 8th or 9th choice?  Their RB coach is the only known candidate left (according to Dunk).  😂

That's not spin. They know the whole staff is getting fired at the end of 2023. Why would anyone walk into that?

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That's not spin. They know the whole staff is getting fired at the end of 2023. Why would anyone walk into that?

Same reason coaches leave good teams all the time - advancement and experience.    Somebody (Kelly Jeffrey) will take that OC position and at the very least they'll have that on their resume for their next gig. 

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Same reason coaches leave good teams all the time - advancement and experience.    Somebody (Kelly Jeffrey) will take that OC position and at the very least they'll have that on their resume for their next gig. 

There's a reason the only guy who (might) take it is a younger guy who's already on the team.

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

We will be hearing a lot of how this is a potential Jordan Maksymic type guy that just needed a chance.

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

There's a reason the only guy who (might) take it is a younger guy who's already on the team.

He's not a younger guy though - he's been coaching for almost 30 years.  He just doesn't have a ton of CFL experience (1 year with the argos, one with the L's and now one with the Riders).

The team is a dumpster fire of unprecedented levels (can anyone recall the last time this many coaches has declined a job offer or flat out refused to even interview?) but I'm just disagreeing that coaches are declining because they are scared to be on the move in after a year - it's a regular occurrence, regardless if the team is good or bad. 

13 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

He's not a younger guy though - he's been coaching for almost 30 years.  He just doesn't have a ton of CFL experience (1 year with the argos, one with the L's and now one with the Riders).

The team is a dumpster fire of unprecedented levels (can anyone recall the last time this many coaches has declined a job offer or flat out refused to even interview?) but I'm just disagreeing that coaches are declining because they are scared to be on the move in after a year - it's a regular occurrence, regardless if the team is good or bad. 

Well, I disagree - I think it's a huge factor.

People don't want to move after a year, and especially when it's practically guaranteed. 

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

I’m guessing the issue is more personal eg his wife didn’t want to leave her job again to relocate after doing the same Calgary to Toronto.

Bizarre to take three interviews with Riders then turn them down when offered the job.