2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

he wishes........

I don't really care for Prukop, but I'd take him all day and twice on Sunday over Faj. At least Prukop didn't whine and pout this year (to my knowledge...) 

He 100% does not fit on our team. I think he’d be perfect behind Mitchell, Harris, MBT or maybe even with Masoli (who seems to do better with an occasional assist).

18 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He 100% does not fit on our team. I think he’d be perfect behind Mitchell, Harris, MBT or maybe even with Masoli (who seems to do better with an occasional assist).

I agree with this only because I want every other team to lose....

2 hours ago, JCon said:

You've been made an offer you can't refuse and the Canadian Mafia brings you in as a player consultant...

Cody is willing to work for $120k. Prokup moves on. 

Do you bring him in as an experienced backup, good on short yardage, holding kicks, and already has his own knee brace? 

Or, is he too much of a distraction? 

Hard pass. No pun intended.

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

he wishes........

I don't really care for Prukop, but I'd take him all day and twice on Sunday over Faj. At least Prukop didn't whine and pout this year (to my knowledge...) 

And if he did, it wasn't to the media like Fajardo constantly does.  I don't recall the last Bomber to have that bad habit - it's not a FIFO thing to do.

Just now, Super Duper Negatron said:

We basically all agreed never to let Prukop pass again, and Brown hasn't really proven anything yet.

Both those guys have shown they can hit a player past 25 yrds down field though. I suppose a 3rd stringer/backup ideally wouldn't need to...but when a team signs a QB they're also saying they'd be ok with him leading the O. Fajardo has proven he really cant. Prukop maybe as well..but he's not a wiener.

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

We basically all agreed never to let Prukop pass again, and Brown hasn't really proven anything yet.

Prukop passed fine at times this year, Brown was solid and growing in that second last game vs BC, and you know what Faj has proven? That he ******* sucks.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

You've been made an offer you can't refuse and the Canadian Mafia brings you in as a player consultant...

Cody is willing to work for $120k. Prokup moves on. 

Do you bring him in as an experienced backup, good on short yardage, holding kicks, and already has his own knee brace? 

Or, is he too much of a distraction? 

Under that scenario I’d say yes, low risk investment. 

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

WAAAY too much of a distraction. Absolutely no idea how to speak to the media. He's done in the CFL

The beauty of him being a back-up is that he wouldn’t have the media spotlight on him. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

CoFaj will never be FIFO.... zero chance he plays on a MOS team. 

Lots of folks saying this felt the same way when Willie Jefferson was a Rider hot-dogging his pick-sixes against us. Funny how a uniform change can alter one’s perception of a player’s ability to “fit in”

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

And if he did, it wasn't to the media like Fajardo constantly does.  I don't recall the last Bomber to have that bad habit - it's not a FIFO thing to do.

Andrew Harris did his share of media complaining when here, both swearing about all the “haters” going after him after the positive drug test, and when he was “disrespected” with the contract offer that hastened his departure. 

I get the reflexive Rider hate, which is why trying to debate this seems futile. But let me legitimately ask all the “hard no” people: if you swapped in the name “Dane Evans” with exactly all the same other conditions as JCon laid out, would you still say no as vehemently? And if you’d take him, what’s the difference between his situation and Fajardo’s?

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

he wishes........

I'd argue that Prukop is a more dangerous rusher than Streveler was.  Just not as entertaining.

Just now, Wideleft said:

I'd argue that Prukop is a more dangerous rusher than Streveler was.  Just not as entertaining.

I think I get where you're coming from, but I'm going to disagree because Strev was far more punishing. He was a LB playing QB when he got out into open field. Prukop is relatively fast with the long legs when he gets going, but I don't think he's going to smash people like Strev did, which makes Strev more "dangerous" as a rusher. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think I get where you're coming from, but I'm going to disagree because Strev was far more punishing. He was a LB playing QB when he got out into open field. Prukop is relatively fast with the long legs when he gets going, but I don't think he's going to smash people like Strev did, which makes Strev more "dangerous" as a rusher. 

I was thinking more dangerous as far as always making short yardage and ripping longer runs.  I would agree that tacklers would find Strevy more dangerous.

Marshall Ferguson did an interesting write up on the top FA REC's....

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/12/07/ferguson-ranking-the-pending-free-agent-receivers/

20. Juwan Brescacin
Hampered by injuries, Brescacin played a limited role in 2022 but in back-to-back seasons has maximized his touches in Toronto while never breaking through to carry the load in a significant way. The market is all above tapping unused potential. Brescacin will never be a 100-catch guy, but could be a stellar third option in say, Hamilton?

19. Tevaun Smith
The former first round pick stumbled out of Edmonton and quietly landed in Ottawa where I didn’t think much of the move until he started making play, after play, after play. I have to believe his stock this winter is as high as it’s been in a couple years.

T-18. Darvin Adams / Manny Arceaneaux
Shoutout to the old heads! Both Adams and Arceneaux held it down for the veterans in 2022 with Manny nearly having the same effect in Edmonton as Greg Ellingson did in Winnipeg – albeit due to injury. Regardless, I could have never predicted that and if your room needs a leadership boost, these are the first two names you’re calling.

17. Nate Behar
In 2022 Behar got his first career touchdown, patented a first down celebration, and earned a multitude of fans for speaking honestly about Jeremiah Masoli’s injury. He’s one of the truly smart and well-liked players in the CFL, regardless of position or nationality.

16. Jake Wieneke
Wieneke had a slow 2023 season, his touchdown in the Eastern Semi-Final brought back memories of score zone dominance from the previous season, and I expect Ottawa to search out his services as they did last winter in hopes of improving Jeremiah Masoli’s early season struggles inside the 30-yard-line.

15. Duke Williams
Williams has elite size and jump ball ability. The question after his ultra disappointing 2022 is whether the Riders can spend big at receiver before knowing who their quarterback, or offensive coordinator, is.

14. Kaion Julien-Grant
Julien-Grant is quick, elusive, and ready-made for any scheme. While profiting off the Montreal quick screen game in 2022, I don’t believe he’s limited to that, and could find an expanded role elsewhere to great profit in 2023 and beyond.

13. Reggie White Jr.
Despite finishing the season injured, White assumed Jake Wieneke’s 2022 role of Robin to Geno Lewis’ Batman and was setting himself up for a possible leap to top dog somewhere else this winter. I believe he remains one of the best secondary options on the market this year and should have no fewer than a handful of offers if Montreal lets him see what is possible.

12. Markeith Ambles
Ambles is a catcher of quick screens, physical beyond his size, and has plenty of CFL experience. He’s is a reigning Grey Cup champion and a top tier support receiver capable of adapting quickly to perhaps a Pete Costanza-led Riders offence, joining what could be his former Argos position coach if Costanza takes the green and white gig.

11. Derel Walker
From Edmonton, to Tampa, to Edmonton, to Toronto, to Edmonton. Every year Derel Walker gets a ton of targets and following a down 2021 season, his production grade jumped considerably in Edmonton this year despite the losses stacking up.

10. Rasheed Bailey
Bailey had an almost identical 2022 to his 2021 and I doubt he’s headed anywhere outside Manitoba fast. He deserves to be a top-10 receiver in this class of free agents even if Greg Ellingson and Dalton Schoen leaped over him for top dog status in the Collaros-led Bombers’ attack.

9. Steven Dunbar Jr.
He of the masterful one handed catch, Dunbar is a long ball threat who could benefit from a more efficient offensive attack, but has shown the ability to take quick throws the distance when the smallest of windows presents itself.

8. Reggie Begelton
His average depth of target dropped from previous seasons, perhaps to fit the style change from Bo Levi Mitchell to Jake Maier as delivery man, but Begelton still puts fear in defenders charged to cover him as well as any big frame in the CFL.

7. DaVaris Daniels
Often overlooked in Toronto while we talked about other receivers, the running game, or the Argos secondary creating numerous turnovers, Daniels found his rhythm with McLeod Bethel-Thompson down the stretch in 2022 and finished the Grey Cup with seven catches on a team-leading twelve attempts.

6. Greg Ellingson
Last year Winnipeg lost Kenny Lawler and replaced him with Greg Ellingson. You just knew the match with Collaros was destined to be great and it was before he fought to get back on the field through Winnipeg’s playoff push. He’s not going anywhere, but he’s easily a top-10 CFL free agent receiver.

5. Tim White
Second only to Geno Lewis in usage rate, the Ticats leaned on White more than could have been expected entering this season and he smiled while hauling in a CFL-high 94 regular season catches.

4. Nic Demski
Demski is as dynamic and flexible a player that exists in the CFL, let alone this class of pending free agents. Demski will be back in Buck Pierce’s offence before Christmas unless something unpredictable happens.

3. Kenny Lawler
Lawler could be anywhere from third to sixth for me on this list. At his best, he’s a cold blooded assassin of a pass-catcher capable of giving you big chunk plays in a moments notice. The question now becomes can Lawler recreate his 2021 success from Winnipeg and stay on the field long enough to have a Geno Lewis-like season in 2023?

2. Kurleigh Gittens Jr.
You can claim Canadian bias, you can suggest whatever excuses you want, but Kurleigh will just keep making catches, getting up and screaming in your face to remind you he can do anything you doubt him capable of.

Despite a rough Grey Cup with a couple of drops and no catches, I have no doubt it was just part of this elite receiver’s journey to stardom and a lesson he’ll carry into the next Grey Cup appearance he helps his team make.

1. Eugene Lewis
The man was a monster this year. Lewis set himself apart from the league for much of 2022 and will be a discussion in every single coaches office around the CFL this off-season until he signs on the dotted line somewhere for 2023.

With one decision he could change the power balance at receiver in the East division, or the CFL as a whole.

Edited by Noeller

51 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Under that scenario I’d say yes, low risk investment. 

The beauty of him being a back-up is that he wouldn’t have the media spotlight on him. 

Lots of folks saying this felt the same way when Willie Jefferson was a Rider hot-dogging his pick-sixes against us. Funny how a uniform change can alter one’s perception of a player’s ability to “fit in”

Andrew Harris did his share of media complaining when here, both swearing about all the “haters” going after him after the positive drug test, and when he was “disrespected” with the contract offer that hastened his departure. 

I get the reflexive Rider hate, which is why trying to debate this seems futile. But let me legitimately ask all the “hard no” people: if you swapped in the name “Dane Evans” with exactly all the same other conditions as JCon laid out, would you still say no as vehemently? And if you’d take him, what’s the difference between his situation and Fajardo’s?

Thinking Fajardo wouldn't have the media on him is naive I think. The media know when they have a click bait machine and they don't just leave it alone. Fajardo going from the riders to the bombers is a story in itself.

The difference between Fajardo and Evans is that Evans has the physical skill set needed to be a good passer in this league AND he's not a media weiner.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The difference between Fajardo and Evans is that Evans has the physical skill set needed to be a good passer in this league AND he's not a media weiner.

I don't think either of these 'hot dogs' are going to be a part of this organization and are 'weiners'......Re-sign what we have as back-up UNLESS we unearth a qb. gem....then it's status quo in 23

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Marshall Ferguson did an interesting write up on the top FA REC's....

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/12/07/ferguson-ranking-the-pending-free-agent-receivers/

20. Juwan Brescacin
Hampered by injuries, Brescacin played a limited role in 2022 but in back-to-back seasons has maximized his touches in Toronto while never breaking through to carry the load in a significant way. The market is all above tapping unused potential. Brescacin will never be a 100-catch guy, but could be a stellar third option in say, Hamilton?

19. Tevaun Smith
The former first round pick stumbled out of Edmonton and quietly landed in Ottawa where I didn’t think much of the move until he started making play, after play, after play. I have to believe his stock this winter is as high as it’s been in a couple years.

T-18. Darvin Adams / Manny Arceaneaux
Shoutout to the old heads! Both Adams and Arceneaux held it down for the veterans in 2022 with Manny nearly having the same effect in Edmonton as Greg Ellingson did in Winnipeg – albeit due to injury. Regardless, I could have never predicted that and if your room needs a leadership boost, these are the first two names you’re calling.

17. Nate Behar
In 2022 Behar got his first career touchdown, patented a first down celebration, and earned a multitude of fans for speaking honestly about Jeremiah Masoli’s injury. He’s one of the truly smart and well-liked players in the CFL, regardless of position or nationality.

16. Jake Wieneke
Wieneke had a slow 2023 season, his touchdown in the Eastern Semi-Final brought back memories of score zone dominance from the previous season, and I expect Ottawa to search out his services as they did last winter in hopes of improving Jeremiah Masoli’s early season struggles inside the 30-yard-line.

15. Duke Williams
Williams has elite size and jump ball ability. The question after his ultra disappointing 2022 is whether the Riders can spend big at receiver before knowing who their quarterback, or offensive coordinator, is.

14. Kaion Julien-Grant
Julien-Grant is quick, elusive, and ready-made for any scheme. While profiting off the Montreal quick screen game in 2022, I don’t believe he’s limited to that, and could find an expanded role elsewhere to great profit in 2023 and beyond.

13. Reggie White Jr.
Despite finishing the season injured, White assumed Jake Wieneke’s 2022 role of Robin to Geno Lewis’ Batman and was setting himself up for a possible leap to top dog somewhere else this winter. I believe he remains one of the best secondary options on the market this year and should have no fewer than a handful of offers if Montreal lets him see what is possible.

12. Markeith Ambles
Ambles is a catcher of quick screens, physical beyond his size, and has plenty of CFL experience. He’s is a reigning Grey Cup champion and a top tier support receiver capable of adapting quickly to perhaps a Pete Costanza-led Riders offence, joining what could be his former Argos position coach if Costanza takes the green and white gig.

11. Derel Walker
From Edmonton, to Tampa, to Edmonton, to Toronto, to Edmonton. Every year Derel Walker gets a ton of targets and following a down 2021 season, his production grade jumped considerably in Edmonton this year despite the losses stacking up.

10. Rasheed Bailey
Bailey had an almost identical 2022 to his 2021 and I doubt he’s headed anywhere outside Manitoba fast. He deserves to be a top-10 receiver in this class of free agents even if Greg Ellingson and Dalton Schoen leaped over him for top dog status in the Collaros-led Bombers’ attack.

9. Steven Dunbar Jr.
He of the masterful one handed catch, Dunbar is a long ball threat who could benefit from a more efficient offensive attack, but has shown the ability to take quick throws the distance when the smallest of windows presents itself.

8. Reggie Begelton
His average depth of target dropped from previous seasons, perhaps to fit the style change from Bo Levi Mitchell to Jake Maier as delivery man, but Begelton still puts fear in defenders charged to cover him as well as any big frame in the CFL.

7. DaVaris Daniels
Often overlooked in Toronto while we talked about other receivers, the running game, or the Argos secondary creating numerous turnovers, Daniels found his rhythm with McLeod Bethel-Thompson down the stretch in 2022 and finished the Grey Cup with seven catches on a team-leading twelve attempts.

6. Greg Ellingson
Last year Winnipeg lost Kenny Lawler and replaced him with Greg Ellingson. You just knew the match with Collaros was destined to be great and it was before he fought to get back on the field through Winnipeg’s playoff push. He’s not going anywhere, but he’s easily a top-10 CFL free agent receiver.

5. Tim White
Second only to Geno Lewis in usage rate, the Ticats leaned on White more than could have been expected entering this season and he smiled while hauling in a CFL-high 94 regular season catches.

4. Nic Demski
Demski is as dynamic and flexible a player that exists in the CFL, let alone this class of pending free agents. Demski will be back in Buck Pierce’s offence before Christmas unless something unpredictable happens.

3. Kenny Lawler
Lawler could be anywhere from third to sixth for me on this list. At his best, he’s a cold blooded assassin of a pass-catcher capable of giving you big chunk plays in a moments notice. The question now becomes can Lawler recreate his 2021 success from Winnipeg and stay on the field long enough to have a Geno Lewis-like season in 2023?

2. Kurleigh Gittens Jr.
You can claim Canadian bias, you can suggest whatever excuses you want, but Kurleigh will just keep making catches, getting up and screaming in your face to remind you he can do anything you doubt him capable of.

Despite a rough Grey Cup with a couple of drops and no catches, I have no doubt it was just part of this elite receiver’s journey to stardom and a lesson he’ll carry into the next Grey Cup appearance he helps his team make.

1. Eugene Lewis
The man was a monster this year. Lewis set himself apart from the league for much of 2022 and will be a discussion in every single coaches office around the CFL this off-season until he signs on the dotted line somewhere for 2023.

With one decision he could change the power balance at receiver in the East division, or the CFL as a whole.

I appreciate the effort put into this but it’s far too early to make these kind of assessments. I’d imagine once free agency hits, less then a third of these guys will still be free agents. 

10 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I appreciate the effort put into this but it’s far too early to make these kind of assessments. I’d imagine once free agency hits, less then a third of these guys will still be free agents. 

which he does mention in a few of the write ups........ but absolutely, at this time of year, they're just trying to come up with content, which can't be easy. It's just to give us something to argue about...

25 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Fajardo in Winnipeg will never happen. 

Dude Is mentally weak and fragile and is a whining baby. No BS, I would seriously question the organization if they thought Fajardo was an option here. FIFO? Fajardo can FO

Let's think back, to the day when Darian Durant, was a Bomber for a short term... Crappy things happen...Now there is someone I'm glad FO... Just to keep the topic on course.... 

4 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I would take Fajardo as a backup. He is a wiener, but better than our other two backups and has been proven effective behind a good o-line.

When did he ever have a good offensive line? The only time he didn't embarrass himself was with an offensive coordinator who did everything possible to hide his limitations. Lots of run game, almost all short, quick  passes and most importantly never kept faj in the pocket. 

That might not work so well now. Teams know the book on faj.