2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

6 hours ago, Noeller said:
  • Byron Archambault – Montreal Alouettes special teams coordinator and linebackers coach
  • André Bolduc – Montreal Alouettes running backs coach and assistant head coach
  • Anthony Calvillo – Montreal Alouettes quarterbacks coach
  • Jason Maas – Former offensive coordinator of the Saskatchewan Roughriders
  • Noel Thorpe – Montreal Alouettes defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach

What a dog's breakfast that is. Calvillo, is he ready?? He would be the obvious choice. Noel Thorpe has always been a bridesmaid but never a bride. Close but no cigar. Is now his time? Maas temper will be his undoing. I can't see him ever being a HC in the CFL, again. Especially after what happened in saskatchewan. The other 2? Who cares??

1 hour ago, bluto said:

I used to think that, but was told by someone that he is in fact Italian.

His wiki say Italian but he's referred to himself as Mexican so I think he'd be a pretty good source of information.

"To think that a skinny little Mexican kid from La Puente, Calif., could be in this position, I could barely hold it all in," said Anthony Calvillo, his voice cracking."

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2011-10-12-sc-spt-1012-plaschke-20111012-38-story.html

Rider Nation Podcast: The nightmare that is the 2022 season won't end. In episode 25 of the Rider Nation Podcast, we talk about no one wanting to be part of Canada's team, although that's not necessarily a bad thing. We also cover Jason https://youtu.be/-Dc1WxyMcSw via @RiderPodcast

🙄

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I love how they say "Canada's team" completely unironically..... hilarious and adorable. 

I listened to 1 minute and 15 seconds before shutting it off.

Direct quote re: finding an OC: "this is the RIDERS, you'd think people would be lined up" Lolololol

do they not know that it's the least desirable location in the country?

On 2022-12-08 at 6:12 PM, Jesse said:

Don’t love the optics of firing a black coach for a perceived “lack of discipline” and then only interviewing the white staff of that same undisciplined team while adding on the least disciplined coach in recent memory.

Calvillo and Archambault are both not white… 

Just now, bearpants said:

Calvillo and Archambault are both not white… 

That is fair. Calvillio is also arguably the greatest QB in the history of the league and a local legend - is that the criteria a POC needs to fill for an outside shot?

I do not know what Archambault's heritage is. I don't imagine he has any shot though.

I simply got to say - from a competitive and diversity stand point, Danny should have cast a wider net. It looks like the old Popp teams where he's hiring someone to fail so he can take over again. 

And again, a lot of people weren't happy when Jones was fired. The reasoning wasn't sound. And his candidates to replace Jones look to have the same discipline issues in their past as Jones - so what is Danny hoping for?

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't know that he's in the Top 5, and he's nowhere near Flutie or Moon, who are on a level all their own....

It's the argument behind absolute best talent - but left for the NFL (Flutie and Moon).

And the best pure CFL guy, so accumulated more CFL stats (Allen, Calvillio, Ray, Dunigan).

Throw in team/generational biases on top of that.

For my money, Ray is the best to do it.

Edited by Jesse

43 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't know that he's in the Top 5, and he's nowhere near Flutie or Moon, who are on a level all their own....

I always found that he was good at throwing to possession type receivers, getting rid of the ball quickly and making very few turnovers

Both Matthews and Trestman knew this, and set up the O to emphasize his strengths.  

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It's the argument behind absolute best talent - but left for the NFL (Flutie and Moon).

And the best pure CFL guy, so accumulated more CFL stats (Allen, Calvillio, Ray, Dunigan).

Throw in team biases on top of that.

Kevin Glenn has entered the chat.

Just now, Mark H. said:

I always found that he was good at throwing to possession type receivers, getting rid of the ball quickly and making very few turnovers

Both Matthews and Trestman knew this, and set up the O to emphasize his strengths.  

Kevin Glenn has entered the chat.

I don't think anyone puts Glenn in the list.

Glenn and Damon Allen, to me, are sort of in the same "tier".... I don't put Allen anywhere near the top, and it's why he wasn't a first ballot HOF-er (not to be confused with Mark H, who is a first ballot Hofer in my books...) Allen was a journeyman who was fortunate to win as much as he did. After Flutie and Moon, who were basically video game characters come to life, it was Ray....then you've got Dickenson and Garcia in there.... then probably Dunigan, and then maybe Calvillo.....

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Glenn and Damon Allen, to me, are sort of in the same "tier".... I don't put Allen anywhere near the top, and it's why he wasn't a first ballot HOF-er (not to be confused with Mark H, who is a first ballot Hofer in my books...) Allen was a journeyman who was fortunate to win as much as he did. After Flutie and Moon, who were basically video game characters come to life, it was Ray....then you've got Dickenson and Garcia in there.... then probably Dunigan, and then maybe Calvillo.....

You are absolutely right, but Allen always pops out for me because of his rushing ability. 

To be top 3 in both passing and rushing in league history is absolutely ridiculous. 

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The thing that really separates Allen and Glenn is the Allen didn't fold in the big games. 

Allen in Toronto was sort of like Manning with the Broncos

They had an outstanding D (O'Shea, Younger, Steinauer et. al.) and they were good in the trenches

He managed games for them and ended up with a GC

I think KG could have filled that role

44 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If he plays a few more seasons at his current level, you have to add Collaros to the conversation

15 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Allen in Toronto was sort of like Manning with the Broncos

They had an outstanding D (O'Shea, Younger, Steinauer et. al.) and they were good in the trenches

He managed games for them and ended up with a GC

I think KG could have filled that role

If he plays a few more seasons at his current level, you have to add Collaros to the conversation

Collaros just needs some longevity. His current contract puts him at 5 seasons with us (shortened season notwithstanding), which is kind of my personal minimum for "all time" honours.