Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

44 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah didn't the Lions have a draft like that a few years ago. And they've looked as good as they have since Sanders.

Great point. Over the last 4 years the lions have had 18 picks in the first 3 rounds. They’ve taken 1 qb 2 RBs 1 lber 4 dbs 1 te 6 DL and 2 ol 1 wr in that time, they’ve also hit guys out side of the top 3 rounds, they went from 8 combined wins the first two years to 19 and counting the last two. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

didnt even know they increased an extra game....shows how much of a **** I give about the NFL bs league

Yep, switched to a 17 game schedule in 2021. And the weird thing is that the 17th game is not always a neutral site location, despite the increase in London and Mexico City contests. Weird to have an unbalanced home and away schedule. 

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Tbh I don’t hate going wr at the top of the draft. Far less busts in top 5 WRs than QBs imo. Though I think the best value picks in the top 5 of the nfl draft tend to be defensive players. Teams always look for that one guy who will change their franchise with that pick, but it almost never works out. 
 What bad teams really need most to turn it around is a bunch of picks in the first 3 rounds and to hit a lot of value with those picks. 
Harrison isn’t going to change a franchise, but I do think he will be a star. If you are in that top range though you need a lot. And QBs/wrs need you to have a lot to really shine. Trade down and draft ol/D all day. Just like up here with the bombers, line play wins games. 

Winning starts in the trenches. If a bad team wants to change its fortunes that where you start. Look at Lawler in Edmonton in 2022 or Gino Lewis there last season. Getting production out of one star wideout never helped. Solid linemen on both sides of the ball win games. We started winning in 2015 when our lines began to play better. They aren't exciting picks but linemen win championships. 

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wonder what the chances are Alford comes back? I followed his progress down there until the year started. I know at one time he had a legit chance at starting....but don't know how that worked out.

I thought he was getting regular play as a dimeback, a buddy is a Falcons fan and he mentioned it a few times but I haven't heard much lately

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wonder what the chances are Alford comes back? I followed his progress down there until the year started. I know at one time he had a legit chance at starting....but don't know how that worked out.

He's still starting for the Falcons at nickle back and is their main punt returner.

On 2023-12-19 at 8:27 AM, wbbfan said:

Great point. Over the last 4 years the lions have had 18 picks in the first 3 rounds. They’ve taken 1 qb 2 RBs 1 lber 4 dbs 1 te 6 DL and 2 ol 1 wr in that time, they’ve also hit guys out side of the top 3 rounds, they went from 8 combined wins the first two years to 19 and counting the last two. 

The Lions look like they're a good team but I think they're still a long was from being Super Bowl contenders. They can win their division but that's about it. (Watch nme eat these words, lol). 

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Zero chance he's ever back up here.

There's no cap on PR time anymore so even if he loses a step he'll have a job in the NFL until he's done.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Lions look like they're a good team but I think they're still a long was from being Super Bowl contenders. They can win their division but that's about it. (Watch nme eat these words, lol). 

True, but if they continue to draft and develop well they can always take the next step. For Detroit winning their division is like winning the big one lol. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Zero chance he's ever back up here.

There's no cap on PR time anymore so even if he loses a step he'll have a job in the NFL until he's done.

He gone. And deservedly so. I couldn’t be happier for him too. 

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Evan Holm is going to take those fast feet and be dancing all over the field for the Vikes.....If that happens ...CRAP....Thought he could be one of our future stalwarts but all the more power to him IF he can catch on in Minny

not surprised he’s getting the tires kicked. 
I am surprised that Betts is getting the tires kicked though. He will soon be 29, and while hes a good pass rusher I can’t see him doing much in the nfl. 

perhaps this thread for 2024 should just be cflers/canadians down south. It’s basically cflers in the nfl any way. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

True, but if they continue to draft and develop well they can always take the next step. For Detroit winning their division is like winning the big one lol. 

I watched the 1957 NFL Championship in full on YouTube last week. It's hard to believe the Detroit Lions haven't won an NFL Championship or Super Bowl in 66 seasons. The Lions took it to the Cleveland Browns 59-14 in that game. QB Tobin Rote threw 4 td passes that game. Rote would eventually make it up to the CFL in 1960 & played two seasons for the Argos setting all kinds of CFL & Argos passing records. He'd leave after the 1961 season & sign with the AFL's san Diego Chargers. He'd finish his career in 1963 with the Chargers. 

On 2023-12-19 at 3:32 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Winning starts in the trenches. If a bad team wants to change its fortunes that where you start. Look at Lawler in Edmonton in 2022 or Gino Lewis there last season. Getting production out of one star wideout never helped. Solid linemen on both sides of the ball win games. We started winning in 2015 when our lines began to play better. They aren't exciting picks but linemen win championships. 

I agree in what you are saying as far as the CFL goes where trench talent is hard to acquire. In the NFL the top of the draft will always be skilled guys mostly, and that is because there is a plethora of line talent available. The exception to the rule mostly being blindside OT which are coveted guys.