Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

5 hours ago, Booch said:

And could have made more than that up here...so...if it's the same prospect next yr...which it likely will the smart move is to sign a big deal up here...and perform....plain and simple...

Always said if it was about dollars and cents ...and sense...any fringe guy who doesn't make an active roster out of camp...with no threat of being dropped will make more money signing a deal in Canada and being a big fish in small pond

Desjarlais 2 yrs ago....Ford this yr ..and Rourke are prime example...Rourke made some money...half of what he could have..the other 2 made diddly and pissed away the yr...tho Desjarlais smartened up near the end...Ford didnt...and he won't get squat for offers this spring

In fairness Rourke could still cash in yet this season if he is activated again.

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

Unforeseen detour is taken out of context by many.  His full quote:

Fmi-Kng-Qag-AIla-ZH.png

His career, his salary, his life.  If this is the route he wants to take, not sure why so many people care. 

100% of cfl players have this feeling/goal when they arrive. I’m not gonna hate some one for possibly, wording it sub optimally. Like you said, it was taken out of context. 

I hated the rourke hype train. It was soo obnoxious, likely not nearly as much as bomber news has been to the league for the past 4 seasons. Brady hasn’t gotten 1% of the hype rourke did and he deserves atleast 75-80%. Lumsden got more national coverage. 
 He wasn’t the mop, and I’m not sold on him being the next flutie/moon etc. but he is a damn good young qb and an ni. 
 If we had him locked up on a long term deal I’d be pretty happy. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

"All it takes... All it takes." We hear that all the time. Yeah, sure. Dream on. The Jags will trade for a qb before they hand the keys of the team to Rourke. I'm loving the angst shown by the cheerleading Canadian media & fans for the guy. If he would have shown just a little bit of gratitude for how the CFL helped him, I'd have a bit of sympathy for his plight. But nope, pretty clear he felt he was too good to play for the Lions so I have no sympathy for him languishing on the PR behind a slug like CJ Beathard. 

I agree. Rourke will only get reps if he is a backup in a game and the starter gets hurt.

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Does he have to pay both income taxes? 
No doubt some one would give rourke 750k 

No dual taxes

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

Fmi-Kng-Qag-AIla-ZH.png

His career, his salary, his life.  If this is the route he wants to take, not sure why so many people care. 

Context was always clear,  he never wanted to be in the crl, never thought it was a possibility.  The fact that every American feels that way is not the point, the point is you don't say it. 

**** that guy and everyone trying to make him some kind of face of the league. A league he never wanted to play in and left at the first chance he got.

Regardless of his comments afterwards, I hate that he's American trained for the most part and all the media hype (Farhan and Naylor mostly) talking like he's a CIS guy. If Forde was given equal hype, I'd be less pissy about it. I'm FAR more interested in the guy that's born here trained here and played all his football as 3 down. Rourke played a LOT of 4 down before the CFL and never really wanted to be here. I sincerely hope Rourke stays down there and never comes back. I'll gladly beat the drum for Forde and any other CIS QB to be a full time starter in the CFL. 

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

Fmi-Kng-Qag-AIla-ZH.png

Because the TSN hype train led by Dave Naylor & Farhan Lalji kept force feeding us this guy. They made him out to be this CFL superstar who was just too good for the league. That somehow we were blessed to see him play. Now? Sure he's getting paid to sit on the Jags PR & good for him but sitting on that PR doesn't make him a better player. And no one wants to pick him up. He can stay on a PR forever for all I care. Being buried like that on the JAX roster is just an unforseen detour. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Regardless of his comments afterwards, I hate that he's American trained for the most part and all the media hype (Farhan and Naylor mostly) talking like he's a CIS guy. If Forde was given equal hype, I'd be less pissy about it. I'm FAR more interested in the guy that's born here trained here and played all his football as 3 down. Rourke played a LOT of 4 down before the CFL and never really wanted to be here. I sincerely hope Rourke stays down there and never comes back. I'll gladly beat the drum for Forde and any other CIS QB to be a full time starter in the CFL. 

Lately, we haven't agreed on a lot of things but yeah, I feel the same way about Rourke as you do & I too, am pissy about it. Rourke can stay down there forever for all I care but he knows that once his NFL intentions are gone, he'll come back. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Fmi-Kng-Qag-AIla-ZH.png

Absolutely no one took it out of context. It’s was a completely unnecessary comment.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I always found this a weird take of yours. No one talks about him like a CIS guy. It’s always very clear. He’s a Canadian born kid whose talents took him south of the border pretty quickly.

Whatever attention Rourke gets has nothing to do with Forde.  Why even bring him up?

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Context was always clear,  he never wanted to be in the crl, never thought it was a possibility.  The fact that every American feels that way is not the point, the point is you don't say it. 

**** that guy and everyone trying to make him some kind of face of the league. A league he never wanted to play in and left at the first chance he got.

Yea I like how he starts his release by implying that we are hanging on his and his corner's every breath. Lol.

Good on him for wanting to make the NFL but always remember back-up plans are good to have in your hip pocket. Regardless, I'm guaranteeing a lot if not all CFL teams would take him with open arms if the deal was right.  

14 hours ago, Jesse said:

Absolutely no one took it out of context. It’s was a completely unnecessary comment.

For sure....I'm sure everyone at some point in their life most likely have said things they regret  ... BUT like my dad used to say....Once those words are out there, it's like trying to unring a bell...Nuff said about that...............

Edited by Stickem

Why would he regret saying it? It's the truth. Every football player wants to play in the NFL, earn the big bucks while playing against the best competition in the world while being treated like gods. 

Rourke was the best QB to come to the CFL in decades. He lit up the league in his 2nd year. He deserved the accolades. 

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And he would have made over $700,000 in BC. They were going to open the vault for the guy but he couldn't wait to find his way out of his unforeseen detour. 

So about $200,000 USD difference not factoring taxes for a person who also doesn't necessarily live or train in Canada.  If he's active for 8 games he blows the CFL salary out of the water.

The CFL is not going to compete with the NFL.  The guys in the CFL have to be ones who have more or less ended their NFL dreams.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Wait i thought i was just hopelessly cheerleading a no talent hack. :)

The way the Patriots season is going this is a decent opportunity for Nathan. They Patriots are in a race to the bottom and I could see them giving him some playing time to evaluate him in otherwise meaningless games for the team. So he'll have his chance to make an impression hopefully. 

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

The Rourke watch is nauseating. Really and truly and we've had far better Canadian QBs that didn't get the kind of attention the Rourke bros do. One is a NCAA kid, and the other is a PR NFL QB. I don't understand why every time one of them takes a poop it's the first story you see on TSN.

Im not convinced that he's not a crest above the CFL stars we've had in the past. Keep in mind that he did what he did his second year out of college. 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

2 games left...hardly a big winfall but better than a kick in knackers

Didn't realize we were that close to the end. Probably has more to do about next year then. Getting him immersed now and then next season he could potentially be apart of their qb equation.  Can't imagine they won't use their first round pick to draft a franchise qb.  I believe the Patriots were one of the teams that worked him out originally. But by the looks of it they might be moving on from Belichick so that could also impact things for Rourke.

Edited by Colin Unger

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Didn't realize we were that close to the end. Probably has more to do about next year then. Getting him immersed now and then next season he could potentially be apart of their qb equation.  Can't imagine they won't use their first round pick to draft a franchise qb.  

The Caleb Williams sweepstakes between the Cardinals, Panthers & Pats is now on. If Williams is selected by New England, how much playing time will Rourke even see? Also, rumours circulating that Bill Belichek will be fired after the season so a new coaching staff will be a huge unknown for Rourke. They may not want him.