2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Rein-dolt would be great on the panel. He knows the game and says what he thinks. He's also a nice guy when you sit down and talk with him.

Actually yes he is...he's a super good guy...he'd be great on the panel....or just doing a segment like Lapo used to do

forget which game...

offence was offside,refs let  play continue,  pass play , defence called for p.i.

play was allowed, both penalties enforced, first down given.

thought that was odd. never seen it before,

is that the way the rules are supposed to work?

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

forget which game...

offence was offside,refs let  play continue,  pass play , defence called for p.i.

play was allowed, both penalties enforced, first down given.

thought that was odd. never seen it before,

is that the way the rules are supposed to work?

Usually at the officials discretion I do believe. If you're 5 yards down the field and the centre still has the ball,  they'll likely blow the play dead. If it's a couple steps, they'll play on.

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Why would you trade a cfl player for a 7th round pick? Seriously that’s almost as bad as the northern league baseball player traded for beer.

Hard to believe but we received Matt Nichols in return for a conditional 7th round pick. Better to get something at all than just release a guy I suppose

13 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I did not know there was discretion on offside. thanks. 

Same concept applies to the defence. If the rush end jumps, attempts to reset but is still offside at the snap, the flag is thrown but the play more often than not continues.

Meanwhile if he jumps and he's butchered it so bad he just keeps going to the QB, the play is blown dead with the penalty assessed at that time.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

There was a play in the Bomber Ti-Cat game where Jeffcoat jumped offside but the play continued, and then the Cats were called for holding. Penalties offset despite the yardage difference in the fouls, and the play was a do-over. 

I noted that too. I still don't know why five yards (difference) weren't march off against the Cats. Also, did anyone else notice that Evans was past the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball on a least two occasions (to my eyes anyway) and no flag was thrown?

28 minutes ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

I noted that too. I still don't know why five yards (difference) weren't march off against the Cats. Also, did anyone else notice that Evans was past the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball on a least two occasions (to my eyes anyway) and no flag was thrown?

On the first point, I was initially puzzled too but I guess the idea is to provide equity over equality. If the player jumps, then sometimes the offence gets a free play of the refs don’t blow it dead, but the refs won’t then ignore holding calls with a penalty already in hand, because it gives an extra advantage to the offence. Likewise, if a player jumps offside and the o-lineman is disadvantaged by the head start, and their only reflex to prevent their QB getting killed is to hold since they never had a fair chance to block, they shouldn’t suffer the extra 5 yards on their end when the originating foul was on the opposing side. Now that’s just speculation on my part based on my own form of logic. If any zebras are out there, would love to hear the official explanation. I do know that when personal fouls are factored in then the yardage will be usually applied to both sides. So if there is an offside on on player and then a face mask on the other team, the yardage would be applied to both sides rather than a simple do-over.

On the second point, I know that to the naked eye the toughest judgment calls are the offensive offside calls with receivers in motion and the QB past the line of scrimmage throws. Often a receiver looks like they are way offside but in slow motion you can see that the ball is just being snapped as they hit the line. But by the time the ball is in the QBs hand the receiver is often 5 yards downfield so it looks like they jumped. On the QB throw, the rule changed a few years ago and now if ANY part of the QBs body is behind the line it is a legal throw, so a QB can be past the line but drag their back foot and still make a legal throw. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Hard to believe but we received Matt Nichols in return for a conditional 7th round pick. Better to get something at all than just release a guy I suppose

True. And then got about 15 for Willy. 
 I guess but a 7th round pick is as close to zero value as possible in the cfl. I’d rather get a neglist guy, right to swap picks or some thing. 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Funny thing, that was also from Jones and perhaps Ed Hervey.

Wow I didn’t even realize that. Crazy. I feel like jones just makes stuff up as he goes when it comes to the rest of the league. He always drafts crazy pays crazy let’s guy walk he shouldn’t etc. I don’t think he has a better understanding of value in the cfl than any rando poster on here.