CFL Week 1 Games (Non-Bombers) Thread

M.O.A.B.

3 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Very surprised by this. For a guy that people (me included) talked about as being such a legendary coach he sure doesn't stay in one place a lot. 

He's coached OLine/tight Ends for 12 pro teams. I guess he isn't kept on whenever the HC in his program gets the pipe. 

That's the life of a career position coach. 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

The guy who’s somehow still getting work based on a good half season five years ago… I would take a raw rookie over him any day…

He gets work cus he's massive and super athletic. But he seldom runs with power and is a real head case. He's a pro bowl level athlete with plus size and good skill. But he's toxic af. 

38 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Wilder jr is basically the Duron Carter of CFL running backs… ego is defeating his potential

Nailed it. 

On 2021-08-07 at 10:56 PM, 17to85 said:

I will defend everything Nichols did for this team, but my god that dudes shoulder is completely F'ed up. He can't throw for ****. Feel bad for him 

So you will finally admit that the guy since his 2018 injury is absolutely dog **** garbage and stop pretending it's Lapo's gameplan?   

Yes everyone will agree that Nichols was a nice guy and loyal and is tough and a good person....  nothing bad with his personality.

But dear lord he had 650+ days off and his arm still can barely muster a 5 yard pass.   Physically he looked so weak and looked like he should be an accountant rather then a QB. 

If I'm an Ottawa fan I'm livid that they traded for him instead of MBT.   The guy is exactly how he was in 2018 and 2019 which was playing terrified and scared and physically is so shot that he can't do anything. 

On his 5 sacks easily 3 of them could of been avoided.  He had once again WIDE open receivers but he plays so scared that he can only do a quick hitter or look at his first read and then turtle and crumple up.  

Even Barker pointed out that the guy has a noodle arm and accuracy just like in 2018 - 2019 is way off where receivers are never hit in stride and have to jump backwards to make the catch. 

The only blame on LaPo should be that the brought him in as a starting QB and then kept Davis as his back up.    LaPo's loyality is going to cost him his 2nd coaching gig and if he doesn't pull the plug in week 3 and move on and desperately try to find someone else. Lapo might not even last the season.   

Nichols starting for the CFL in 2021 is an embarassment on the league.  Retire the guy ASAP before he cripples himself.  

when Matt was on...he carried us, and was main piece that got us to where we are today, that can't be disputed, and he had the right cast of characters surrounding him, so that helped too.

Watching him this weekend though, the Staff here made the right choice...he's a sitting duck in the pocket now, don't think he trusts his arm...if he even will have one ever again, and I wouldn't even want him as a back-up..I think he is done like dinner. And it's too bad, but at lesast we got him a ring as he truly deserved one for all he put into the team and community here

Lapo tho is in a tuff place...not sure if he will be successful anytime soon

https://3downnation.com/2021/08/08/i-guess-im-not-a-big-enough-name-yet-to-get-that-call-cody-fajardo-jokes-about-unpenalized-helmet-to-helmet-hit/

what  A ******

Watch the first part of the 2019 season. Nichols was on and had a good arm with accurate balls, even deep balls. That's not the memory I had of him. I remember him as being decent with the short passes and playing ball control offense. The start of the 2019 season showed he had legit skills. Hopefully he can overcome the shoulder injury as he is just a shell of where he was at his best.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

Watch the first part of the 2019 season. Nichols was on and had a good arm with accurate balls, even deep balls. That's not the memory I had of him. I remember him as being decent with the short passes and playing ball control offense. The start of the 2019 season showed he had legit skills. Hopefully he can overcome the shoulder injury as he is just a shell of where he was at his best.

Until his injury in 2019, he was the best QB in the league. He was outstanding. Dropping balls everywhere they needed to be, he was running, he was doing it all. His QB efficiency was off the charts. Then he gets pancaked from behind and, it would appear, he hasn't been the same since...

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

He didn't play here with a shoulder like that.

Yes he did,  it wasn't AS bad but it wasn't much different.   He was skipping balls in the dirt,  turning receivers because he couldn't hit them in stride and was only able to do quick hitters.    Every off seasons since then the story was "Nichols worked out big time in the gym and has added additional strength."   That was the cover up story for his limp noodle arm and his terrible mobility.       The guy sadly was done years ago,    the drop off was on par if not even higher then when Khari got hurt and couldn't make the throws that he had made in his prime. 

TSN listed Matt's winning %....  a whole lot of those wins were because of a rock solid D and having the best o-line and RB in the league.   The win % was as misleding as Bishop's one year where he went 12-1 or whatever it was.  

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yes he did,

No he didn't, it's night and day after his season ending shoulder injury in 2019. He never played here with that shoulder  

Lapo sucks, and Nichols was imperfect. Both can be true but don't be a lapo apologist when the guy clearly has his own heap of issues. For an offensive guru how come as a head coach his team only won games when the D carried the team and scored points?

1 hour ago, do or die said:

In Nichols first few years, he didn't have a rock solid D..........if one remembers the horrid defensive playoff collapses, against BC and Edm.

yup def played more than well enough to beat edmonton ( i think) at the stadium. defence stunk and gave up a rushing td with about eleven missed tackles.

awful

57 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No he didn't, it's night and day after his season ending shoulder injury in 2019. He never played here with that shoulder  

Lol watch how he played when he first came to the Bombers and then rewatch the games in 2018-2019.   Night and day difference in where prior to his injuries he played with zero fear and physically was able to throw the ball with zip 5 - 20 yards down field to receivers in stride.     I made a fantastic post a few years back showing how pre injuries he was throwing for 250+ yards almost in every game up until he was hurt and then afterwards it dropped sharply.   He had zero zip on his throws and his mobility/escapability was even further reduced.  He was a gunslinger when he joined us and then was a completely different person afterwards.  

Do you not remember when Strelever took over the first time in 2018 and  how receivers suddenly were seeing the ball and the offense was far more vertical... same with when Zach took over last season.      Nichols physically was done after his 2018 injury and now 2021 Nichols is even further deteriorated to a point that it's unsafe for him to go out anymore.     Rewatch the 2019 season and count how many times he skipped balls in the dirt despite having a tonne of protection and open space.... these throws are the ones that other QB's routinely could make.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Until his injury in 2019, he was the best QB in the league. He was outstanding. Dropping balls everywhere they needed to be, he was running, he was doing it all. His QB efficiency was off the charts. Then he gets pancaked from behind and, it would appear, he hasn't been the same since...

Nah. Mike Reilly was head and shoulders better. Nichols was right on the cusp of the elite qb tier in 17.  But still behind blm and Reilly. Out side of 17 he was firmly cemented in the 2nd tier of qbs. 

His deep balls constantly had guys cutting off routes coming back and diving. He was never the guy who hit wrs in stride creating yac gains. 

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Lol watch how he played when he first came to the Bombers and then rewatch the games in 2018-2019.   Night and day difference in where prior to his injuries he played with zero fear and physically was able to throw the ball with zip 5 - 20 yards down field to receivers in stride.     I made a fantastic post a few years back showing how pre injuries he was throwing for 250+ yards almost in every game up until he was hurt and then afterwards it dropped sharply.   He had zero zip on his throws and his mobility/escapability was even further reduced.  He was a gunslinger when he joined us and then was a completely different person afterwards.  

Do you not remember when Strelever took over the first time in 2018 and  how receivers suddenly were seeing the ball and the offense was far more vertical... same with when Zach took over last season.      Nichols physically was done after his 2018 injury and now 2021 Nichols is even further deteriorated to a point that it's unsafe for him to go out anymore.     Rewatch the 2019 season and count how many times he skipped balls in the dirt despite having a tonne of protection and open space.... these throws are the ones that other QB's routinely could make.

Remember that like 70 yard run in 17? That was gone too. 

The Bombers were a bad team prior to Nichols taking over. He took over we fixed the ol personal and the d improved and suddenly wasn't on the field for most of the game. He was part of us busting out of being a bad team. But was him self sub elite most of his time here. But because people over credit qbs and we went from losing to winning a good size group of bomber fans got married to Nichols. He was the savior like khari single handedly pulling us out of the dregs to a consistent play off team. 

The fan base is soo afraid and hate full of the idea of back slidding that Nichols is like a martyr \ Saint. If he was here and we had the Ottawa win exactly the same people would be arguing he's still a great qb and did enough to win while hurt so he's great. We saw the same discussions after the same kind of games. Weeks 8 9 and 10 in 2019. 1 300 yard game in 2 years but he was elite over that time. But Fajardo and mbt are hot garbage. 

15 hours ago, johnzo said:

I'd love to see that stat sheet. That team may have had more total yards had a good running game in 92. Must've been Danny Mac or Garza at qb. 

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Remember that like 70 yard run in 17? That was gone too. 

The Bombers were a bad team prior to Nichols taking over. He took over we fixed the ol personal and the d improved and suddenly wasn't on the field for most of the game. He was part of us busting out of being a bad team. But was him self sub elite most of his time here. But because people over credit qbs and we went from losing to winning a good size group of bomber fans got married to Nichols. He was the savior like khari single handedly pulling us out of the dregs to a consistent play off team. 

The fan base is soo afraid and hate full of the idea of back slidding that Nichols is like a martyr \ Saint. If he was here and we had the Ottawa win exactly the same people would be arguing he's still a great qb and did enough to win while hurt so he's great. We saw the same discussions after the same kind of games. Weeks 8 9 and 10 in 2019. 1 300 yard game in 2 years but he was elite over that time. But Fajardo and mbt are hot garbage. 

I'd love to see that stat sheet. That team may have had more total yards had a good running game in 92. Must've been Danny Mac or Garza at qb. 

I'm pretty sure it was Garza.  Those are Garza-like stats for sure.