CFL Week 1 Games (Non-Bombers) Thread

M.O.A.B.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah there was a legit reason, I can'tquite remember what it was but it wasn't thinking theywould make it it was a punting replacement. And that 62 yard field goal was massively wind assisted as well.

got curious so I hit up newspaperarchive.com...yeah, it was a wind game. looks like they figured they'd get more distance placekicking into the wind rather than punting.

ZzAd9rI.png

Edited by johnzo

3 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Also strange fact - the longest ever successful field goal in CFL history was 62 yards by Paul McCallum. To put in perspective of how stupid the Riders' are - on September 28, 1997, they had McCallum attempt (unsuccessfully) an 84 and 79 yard field goal in the same game.

I can honestly say that I did not witness this as I was living in Australia at the time.  We were not able to access CFL games online at that time, we were still living in cave man times at that point in our history.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

No I didn't,  I said his arm was crap before and now it is even more crap.     He hasn't been able to throw a normal pass without issues since 2017.      

That's just not factual. I'm not a big fan of Nichols after 2017 myself. But you make it sound like he was Brohm out there. In 2019 he was top of the pack when it came to deep ball completions and was playing at a high level.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

It looked like it landed at the back of the endzone. Crazy distance. 

I was honestly blown away with that kick. Dude has a rocket for a leg! Good thing his accuracy is brutal.

I'm a little late to the party here, but for those saying that Nichols was the best QB in the league in 2019... how quickly we forget that the first 8 weeks of the season were against extremely weak competition.  Only 1 team had a winning record (Hamilton) and they lost against them.  Playing Ottawa, BC, Toronto the bulk of the early schedule, of course he had a winning record.   That game they lost to Toronto 28-27, to me, was the epitome of what we had with Nichols at QB.  Just a guy who couldn't get it done when the stakes were at their highest.   169 yards passing this game, and even with Harris going for over 150 on the ground, couldn't keep the lead.   The defence even bailed them out with a turnover with 1:44 left.  What does the Nichols led offence go out and do, when all they need is a first down to all but ice the game.  2 & out.  This, during what some are saying when he was 'at his best' ?  Please.

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2588/winnipeg-blue-bombers-vs-toronto-argonauts/?_ga=2.152605561.1119343581.1628611599-110836146.1617285075#videos

Matty Ice?  More like Ice Cold.   There's a reason they needed Medlock with him at QB, because he couldn't finish drives.

Nichols, after 2017 when there was enough film out there on him and our offence, declined big time.  Even his 2017 numbers were propped up big time, dumping it off to Harris 105 times that season.   Easy to have a great completion percentage when you throw the ball 3 yards.

That said, he's gone and no longer our QB. I finally got my wish!  I had honestly thought he had played his last CFL game when he got hurt mid-season here in 2019.  He had a decent couple seasons, that was it.  Not a guy that's going to the hall of fame by any stretch!

Edited by trueBlue83

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

I said his arm was crap before and now it is even more crap. 

the entire point I am making is that he never had an arm that bad while here! You have twice now said exactly what I have been telling you. Maybe listen when the grown ups are talking for a change? You let your hatred of Matt Nichols blind you to what people are actually saying. 

15 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

That game they lost to Toronto 28-27, to me, was the epitome of what we had with Nichols at QB.  Just a guy who couldn't get it done when the stakes were at their highest.   169 yards passing this game, and even with Harris going for over 150 on the ground, couldn't keep the lead.

That game, and the montreal game were the epitome to me of what we had with Paul Lapolice. A guy who ices his own offence when they get a big lead. Why on earth did they go away from what got them the huge lead in the first place? He does it all the time. Trying to outsmart the defnsive coordinator and does their job for them stopping the offense.  Both Lapo and Ritchie Hall get super passive and it can lead to blown games. At least when Hall gets a talented D it works because they make plays and get pressure to disrupt things. 

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's comical how anyone here can let Matt Nichols continue to live rent free in their heads. And the revisionist history on top of it is comical.

And by comical, I mean utterly pitiful.

Is that expression making a comeback? I've seen 3 people use it in the last week.

Matt Nichols isn't really the kind of guy that lives in people's heads.

18 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Is that expression making a comeback? I've seen 3 people use it in the last week.

Maybe maybe not. At this point it's more conceptual. And it has been for a while. 

24 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Not for myself,  it's more so embarrassment that a few people on here act identical to the people we mock over on Riderfans.  I guess I didn't want to admit that some of our fans are exactly on par with the people out west who wear watermelons as hats.....  

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Not for myself,  it's more so embarrassment that a few people on here act identical to the people we mock over on Riderfans.  I guess I didn't want to admit that some of our fans are exactly on par with the people out west who wear watermelons as hats.....  

Everyone needs to find the middle ground. 

5 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Nichols severed a purpose gave stability to team and position but the team has out grown him and clearly at this point Collaros is a better fit. Will also respect Nichols tough guy that brought respectability back to the organization.

def want to see him sign a one-day contract and retire as a Bomber.  Was also hoping the Bombers would get a chance to present him with his ring pregame when the redblacks came to town but alas the gaps of the14-game pandemic schedule.