Jump to content

Covid-19


JCon
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, WildPath said:

That's basically her only angle to getting support. Pretty obvious Stefanson is hand-picked. Similar to how Bernier is using vaccines/masks on the federal front. That's an issue they know can actually attract voters so they really play it up.

Agreed. Pols have to play to the crowd, even if it means prostituting their morals. Interesting that Ms. Glover was not accepted back as a police officer but was working as a healthcare aide for half the salary. Despite her working in the healthcare field, she still dismisses the need for protective measures, even for healthcare workers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I know I, and some others on here, have lamented losing empathy for the unvaccinated. I found this story touching and hopefully helpful for not covering the unvaccinated with a blanket of hate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/icu-doctor-letter-to-patient-1.6171187

 

And yet I read that and the anger builds. How could a father be so negligent to his child who is already without a mother? How can protesters jeer health care workers trying to save lives who are already taxed to their physical, mental, and emotional limits? We are all tired of COVID, yet the salvation we were all praying for last year in the form of a vaccine comes (and is FREE!) so we could return to some sort of normalcy, and now you boycott that? Why? So you won’t be seen as a sheep bending to the will of a government trying to protect you? So you won’t have to swallow your pride and admit your foolishness in buying into demonstrably false information? Is your ego so fragile that you are willing to bet your life and endanger others’ lives in the process, all for the sake of not taking a small needle in the arm? Don’t know what’s in the vaccine, but are willing to down hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin without asking what is in those, or why a typhoid drug or horse dewormer seems like an odd choice to fight COVID? All this to prove you as one person are more important than your government and your individual rights count more than everyone  else’s? I can shrug off ignorance if someone is willing to be educated. I can stomach arrogance if it can be backed up. But the combination of the two is my least favourite personality flaw in people, and when it threatens to harm others and prolong this pandemic, my empathy is also NOT a limitless supply, and my tank is running dry right now, especially for those protesters who go out of their way to obstruct those trying to heal or choosing to abide by mask regulations. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And yet I read that and the anger builds. How could a father be so negligent to his child who is already without a mother? How can protesters jeer health care workers trying to save lives who are already taxed to their physical, mental, and emotional limits? We are all tired of COVID, yet the salvation we were all praying for last year in the form of a vaccine comes (and is FREE!) so we could return to some sort of normalcy, and now you boycott that? Why? So you won’t be seen as a sheep bending to the will of a government trying to protect you? So you won’t have to swallow your pride and admit your foolishness in buying into demonstrably false information? Is your ego so fragile that you are willing to bet your life and endanger others’ lives in the process, all for the sake of not taking a small needle in the arm? Don’t know what’s in the vaccine, but are willing to down hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin without asking what is in those, or why a typhoid drug or horse dewormer seems like an odd choice to fight COVID? All this to prove you as one person are more important than your government and your individual rights count more than everyone  else’s? I can shrug off ignorance if someone is willing to be educated. I can stomach arrogance if it can be backed up. But the combination of the two is my least favourite personality flaw in people, and when it threatens to harm others and prolong this pandemic, my empathy is also NOT a limitless supply, and my tank is running dry right now, especially for those protesters who go out of their way to obstruct those trying to heal or choosing to abide by mask regulations. 

All valid points and feelings I share. The combination of misinformed views and hubris is truly sickening. As bad as it sounds, what helps me to try to scrape together some compassion is to see anti-vaxxers as victims. They are generally the poorest educated in society and have been taken advantage of by elements that do not have their best interests in mind. They are being manipulated. My guess is many of these people also come from families with poor education as well. I don't blame a kid that comes to my classroom weak in reading and comes from a disadvantaged home.

The analogy is admittedly a huge stretch and I definitely feel a ton of anger and that is my primary emotion in regards to anti-vaxxers. Anger doesn't do anything good for me, it actually has made me a less compassionate person to non-anti-vaxxers and less happy overall. I really don't know what the personal solution is for myself, but living in anger and frustration is not healthy or beneficial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, WildPath said:

All valid points and feelings I share. The combination of misinformed views and hubris is truly sickening. As bad as it sounds, what helps me to try to scrape together some compassion is to see anti-vaxxers as victims. They are generally the poorest educated in society and have been taken advantage of by elements that do not have their best interests in mind. They are being manipulated. My guess is many of these people also come from families with poor education as well. I don't blame a kid that comes to my classroom weak in reading and comes from a disadvantaged home.

The analogy is admittedly a huge stretch and I definitely feel a ton of anger and that is my primary emotion in regards to anti-vaxxers. Anger doesn't do anything good for me, it actually has made me a less compassionate person to non-anti-vaxxers and less happy overall. I really don't know what the personal solution is for myself, but living in anger and frustration is not healthy or beneficial.

I could accept the “uneducated are victims who are being manipulated so feel sorry for them” angle if they were willing to open their minds to other possibilities when presented with contrary evidence. Maybe I’ve watched too much of Jordan Klepper on the Daily Show or Donnie O’Sullivan interviewing people who adamantly say “do your own research” and “I don’t just believe the fact checkers because they have a bias  - you need to be skeptical” and who conveniently forget their own preachings when it comes to the info they themselves want to rely on. And that stems from arrogance at being unable to acknowledge their own hypocrisy, and their desperate need for confirmation bias blinding them to their own standards they set for the other side of the argument. And finally, I fear that if the anger subsided, then apathy will set in and give credence to those who want to tear down things and receive no pushback. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, WildPath said:

All valid points and feelings I share. The combination of misinformed views and hubris is truly sickening. As bad as it sounds, what helps me to try to scrape together some compassion is to see anti-vaxxers as victims. They are generally the poorest educated in society and have been taken advantage of by elements that do not have their best interests in mind. They are being manipulated. My guess is many of these people also come from families with poor education as well. I don't blame a kid that comes to my classroom weak in reading and comes from a disadvantaged home.

The analogy is admittedly a huge stretch and I definitely feel a ton of anger and that is my primary emotion in regards to anti-vaxxers. Anger doesn't do anything good for me, it actually has made me a less compassionate person to non-anti-vaxxers and less happy overall. I really don't know what the personal solution is for myself, but living in anger and frustration is not healthy or beneficial.

They are willing victims, just as those who walk out the door at -30 without winter wear on are. My sympathy is reserved for those who are misled by clergy and children who are denied this vital healthcare measure by ignorant and arrogant parents. My anger is mostly for those who profit from the misery and deaths of the vulnerable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I could accept the “uneducated are victims who are being manipulated so feel sorry for them” angle if they were willing to open their minds to other possibilities when presented with contrary evidence. Maybe I’ve watched too much of Jordan Klepper on the Daily Show or Donnie O’Sullivan interviewing people who adamantly say “do your own research” and “I don’t just believe the fact checkers because they have a bias  - you need to be skeptical” and who conveniently forget their own preachings when it comes to the info they themselves want to rely on. And that stems from arrogance at being unable to acknowledge their own hypocrisy, and their desperate need for confirmation bias blinding them to their own standards they set for the other side of the argument. And finally, I fear that if the anger subsided, then apathy will set in and give credence to those who want to tear down things and receive no pushback. 

Apparently we are suppose to condemn the liars and empathize with the lied to people who believe. 

Depends on why the lied to people are believing is where or where I don't place my empathy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me just say to @WildPath that I appreciate your original post and your follow up. These are trying times and this discussion has the tendency to get heated and loaded with vitriol. Thanks for posting an alternative side that some do not want to buy into, expressing your points so eloquently, and allowing for good debate in a productive, intelligent way. We need more of that on the site and in the world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's most often a lack of education, which leads to the default position of mistrusting those who are educated, especially 'white collar professionals.' There are enough naturopaths, chiropractors, et. al.  who are borderline anti-vax and strengthen those views. And no, they are not only found on social media  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for a great article and follow up Wildpath. My initial  reaction to anti-vaxxers/maskers is always anger. But to be honest  that never really accomplishes alot if anything. Most of the unvaccinated  that I know are either not well educated,  not well read or move  exclusively in a circle of the same. Peer pressure and group mania seems to just suck people along into beliefs and actions that just make no sense. The real guilty people are leaders both political, media, and self appointed who push this crap. The article  was a good reminder to work on my patience and understanding. Thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, the watcher said:

Thanks for a great article and follow up Wildpath. My initial  reaction to anti-vaxxers/maskers is always anger. But to be honest  that never really accomplishes alot if anything. Most of the unvaccinated  that I know are either not well educated,  not well read or move  exclusively in a circle of the same. Peer pressure and group mania seems to just suck people along into beliefs and actions that just make no sense. The real guilty people are leaders both political, media, and self appointed who push this crap. The article  was a good reminder to work on my patience and understanding. Thanks. 

My initial reaction will probably always be anger as well. These idiots have significantly affected my career, my side business, the birth of my son and ability to have relationships with family who have developed difficult health conditions. Not to mention my personal mental health. Being able to share anger and disgust through this board has helped me to realize I am not alone and that it really is an exceptionally vocal minority. Unfortunately, there's very little I can do personally to stop these people from dragging society back with them and extending the pandemic further. Once they've built up that wall of arrogance around them, arguments don't tend to work, no matter how logical or fact based. What we can do is hold politician's feet to the fire to ensure vaccine requirements and mask mandates are held up and insist on the protection of those who cannot get vaccinated. As much as I'm feeling pandemic fatigue, I'm also feeling the fatigue of being kept in a state of hatred and I am likely extending that to those around me more than I'd like.

Edited by WildPath
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JCon said:

So brave, after the fact. WPS let that happen. That's on their "leadership". 

The antivaxers promised as replay tomorrow, so we shall see. Don't know if it was posted here or otherwhere, but a certain John Rush has publicly offered to escort anyone feeling threatened in and out of the HSC.  What a Rush!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...