Covid-19

JCon

Florida Councilman Who Mocked Dr. ‘Falsey’ Fauci Is Hospitalized With Severe COVID

Fred Lowry, a councilman for Florida’s Volusia County and a loud COVID-19 denier, is in the hospital with a severe case of COVID-19, according to the County Chair Jeff Brower. “He is in the hospital wrestling with COVID-19. It’s been about three weeks now,” Brower said on Tuesday as Lowry, 66, missed a county council meeting for the second time.

Lowry, a Republican halfway through his second term on the Volusia County Council, spread COVID-19 disinformation and conspiracy theories, going so far as to say the pandemic was a hoax. “We were lied to,” he said in a sermon at Denton’s Lakes Baptist Church. Lowry often criticized Dr. Anthony Fauci, whom he nicknamed “Dr. Falsey,” and insisted the top health official was a liar and pervert. Other conspiracies Lowry promoted had to do with media coverage of hydroxychloroquine and the Wuhan lab-leak theory.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/mandatory-vaccination-health-workers-1.6166981

Quebec health-care workers in both the public and private systems who are not adequately vaccinated by Oct. 15 will be suspended without pay, the province's health minister, Christian Dubé, announced Tuesday. 

Dubé and Quebec Premier François Legault both said in recent weeks they intended to make vaccination mandatory for health-care workers, but until Tuesday, they had not specified a deadline or consequences for workers who didn't follow the mandate. 

Dubé made the announcement in Montreal during a provincial update on the pandemic situation in the province. 

For weeks, such events have been led by Dubé, accompanied by Public Health Director Dr. Horacio Arruda. But with the gravity of the fourth wave increasing, Legault returned to head up the news conference for the first time in three weeks.

Legault noted the number of hospitalizations in the province had climbed to 171 from 55 a month ago.

At the briefing, Dubé also announced Quebec's vaccine passport requirement will apply to people visiting hospitals.

The passport came into effect one week ago — on Sept. 1. It is required for most non-essential services, including for restaurant and bar dining rooms and terrasses. 

48 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

FTFY

If the last 18 or so months have taught me nothing else, it is this: By and large, complete windowlicking dipshits run the show on Planet Earth.

I have a 3 year old who likes to whine and cry when he doesn't get his way, these people are a lot like that. Difference is I expect that my son will grow out of it. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

I have a 3 year old who likes to whine and cry when he doesn't get his way, these people are a lot like that. Difference is I expect that my son will grow out of it. 

The way I see it, when nothing was done to stop the rail blockades two years ago, people being allowed to demonstrate without the police enforcing laws in place or health regulations, it empowered these asshats to do what they want with little or no fear of consequences. It doesn't matter whether or not you agreed with the demonstration's cause or not, it created a feeling of empowerment for many people to air their grievances. The politicians & the cops opened the Pandora's Box & this is the result. Most of these people are cowards & would never do what they're doing if they were looking at the cops breaking up unruly demonstrations as well as huge fines &/or jail time. 

21 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

So $100 times 1.43 million unvaccinated Albertans equals $143,000,000 of taxpayer money to bribe antivaxxers. But hey, let’s cut wages to nurses by 3%. 

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

There is a part of me that wants them to be treated with Hdroxychloroquin and Invermectin, thoughts and prayers and nothing else

There’s pretty much all of me that wants them not allowed into hospitals eating up bed space for other patients who will at least try to take care of themselves. That or bill them fully for their stay so they aren’t a drain on our publicly funded health care system. I am out of compassion for those who have no compassion for others themselves. 

Angry group of QAnon believers flood hospital with phone calls to demand COVID patient be treated with livestock drug

Supporters of the QAnon conspiracy theory recently launched a protest to demand an ill COVID patient be treated with the controversial livestock drug, Ivermectin.

According to The Chicago Sun Times, QAnon backers targeted the Amita Resurrection Medical Center in Chicago as a small group of conspiracy theorists flooded the medical facility with phone calls while others held an in-person protest.

The group demanded that doctors use Ivermectin to treat one of their QAnon allies who is currently hospitalized with COVID. Over the last few weeks, Ivermectin has led to heightened controversy as it is not a conventional form of treatment for COVID.

The publication reports: "The supporters are demanding that doctors give a hospitalized ally ivermectin, a medication approved for treating parasites in both humans and animals that has garnered huge interest in recent weeks, with the vaccine-averse increasingly touting it as a groundbreaking coronavirus treatment."

L. Lin Wood, the conspiracy theorist attorney who aided former President Donald Trump in his efforts to overturn the presidential election, is among the group of individuals who participated in the pushback at the hospital. In a Telegram post, he reportedly detailed his exchange with an employee at the facility.

"He informed me that Ivermectin was not on the Amita protocol and [the woman] would not receive it," Wood said of his brief discussion with the employee. "When I tried to respond, he was rude, talked over me, and hung up on me."

Angry group of QAnon believers flood hospital with phone calls to demand COVID patient be treated with livestock drug - Alternet.org

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Angry group of QAnon believers flood hospital with phone calls to demand COVID patient be treated with livestock drug

Supporters of the QAnon conspiracy theory recently launched a protest to demand an ill COVID patient be treated with the controversial livestock drug, Ivermectin.

According to The Chicago Sun Times, QAnon backers targeted the Amita Resurrection Medical Center in Chicago as a small group of conspiracy theorists flooded the medical facility with phone calls while others held an in-person protest.

The group demanded that doctors use Ivermectin to treat one of their QAnon allies who is currently hospitalized with COVID. Over the last few weeks, Ivermectin has led to heightened controversy as it is not a conventional form of treatment for COVID.

The publication reports: "The supporters are demanding that doctors give a hospitalized ally ivermectin, a medication approved for treating parasites in both humans and animals that has garnered huge interest in recent weeks, with the vaccine-averse increasingly touting it as a groundbreaking coronavirus treatment."

L. Lin Wood, the conspiracy theorist attorney who aided former President Donald Trump in his efforts to overturn the presidential election, is among the group of individuals who participated in the pushback at the hospital. In a Telegram post, he reportedly detailed his exchange with an employee at the facility.

"He informed me that Ivermectin was not on the Amita protocol and [the woman] would not receive it," Wood said of his brief discussion with the employee. "When I tried to respond, he was rude, talked over me, and hung up on me."

Angry group of QAnon believers flood hospital with phone calls to demand COVID patient be treated with livestock drug - Alternet.org

What happened to hydroxychloroquine? I thought that was the miracle drug. Or bleach, that Trump suggested might work? 

Who owns shares of Merck? Probably Trump. 

Psychologist and criminologist explain why anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers present a real threat of violence

Not all opponents of mask mandates and anti-vaccine activists are alike. They constitute a diverse and heterogeneous group. But a certain segment of the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers comprise extremists who represent a violent and nefarious influence in our country as we work to defeat this seemingly endless pandemic.

There is a small but loud and forceful group of people who object to wearing masks. Studies indicate that those people generally believe they are ineffective and are violating their civil liberties. Some of those people are increasingly behaving in violent and dangerous ways.

As early as July 2020, the Retail Industry Leaders Association expressed alarm over the number of instances of hostility and violence experienced by front-line employees. That same month, a survey of McDonald's employees showed that 44% had experienced verbal or physical abuse from customers not wearing masks.

These repeated incidents necessitated the CDC to offer new guidance for retailers and restaurants on how to prevent workplace violence from customers. These suggestions included installing panic buttons and cameras, and recognizing the signs that angry customers might be on the verge of violence.

Things since then have only worsened.

In June 2021, a customer shot and killed a cashier and wounded a sheriff's deputy at a supermarket after an argument about face masks.

In August 2021, Christopher Key, who calls himself the "vaccine police," live streamed himself and his "Missouri Crew" entering a Walmart Supercenter. The group was targeting the pharmacists who they believe should be "executed" for administering the COVID-19 vaccine. They berated the workers, informing them they have been put "on notice" and that "if they give one more vaccine … they can be hung up … and executed."

The group brought with them "sworn affidavits" that supposedly proved that 45,000 people had died within days of being vaccinated against COVID-19. That belief is based on a lawsuit filed by a group called America's Frontline Doctors (AFLD), recently described in a Time magazine expose as "the 21st-century, digital version of snake-oil salesmen." AFLD was founded by Dr. Simone Gold, who was arrested for her participation in the U.S. Capitol insurrection on Jan. 6, 2021.

A COVID-19 drive-through testing and vaccination site in Georgia was recently forced to shut down after being threatened by a group of anti-vax protesters. Reports indicated that the health care workers were harassed via email and on social media.

Health care workers have repeatedly faced threats for promoting vaccines, especially prominent public health experts like Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Peter Hotez. Both have faced serious death threats. A man was arrested for allegedly sending threatening messages to Dr. Fauci, saying that he and his family would be "dragged into the street, beaten to death and set on fire." Dr. Hotez notes that the threats faced by health care workers have created "an unprecedented culture of antiscience intimidation."

Psychologist and criminologist explain why anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers present a real threat of violence - Alternet.org

11 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

FTFY

If the last 18 or so months have taught me nothing else, it is this: By and large, complete windowlicking dipshits run the show on Planet Earth.

Not just running the world. Idiots are everywhere in all walks of life, and always have been. It’s just that 24/7 instant information in a digital world has made them more visible, and the advent of social media has given them a platform to expose and share stupidity with everyone cares or doesn’t car to listen. 

The cynicism is strong with this one today.