Covid-19

JCon

1 minute ago, JCon said:

When I am in an enclosed space, I certainly do, I have to mask up for work each day. 

I don't need to outdoors because the science says that the risk, in a open air environment, is miniscule. 

Not including work as its mandatory. I mean, in a movie theatre or restaurant. At a Bomber game. At a concert in an indoor venue. Stuff like that.

19 hours ago, basslicker said:

Time to live with it or cower in fear every time someone gets the sniffles.  THE SICK DIE ALL THE TIME, I'm not being callous, it's just truth.  If you're at-risk of anything, you protect yourself when you can.  I have a type-1 diabetic friend, he's a higher risk than your average person, plus he has lung issues, doesn't stop him from living and doesn't live behind a mask.  "Get busy living or get busy dying."

That is not helpful. 

14 hours ago, Tracker said:

I will continue to wear a mask when indoors in public places. We all choose for ourselves.

And I think if that is what you do then that is great. 

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I agree with what you are saying. I think, unless we see a massive wave over running the health care system, that mass restrictions and masking are at an end. If everyone was masking, I would too, but if no one is masking I don't see the point. I will stay home and limit my activities when sick and continue the religious hand washing when out in public and carry my hand sanitizer but I don't see the point in masking anymore.

It's an airborne virus, but you're faithful to hand-sanitizing.

Whatever gives you comfort, I guess.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not including work as its mandatory. I mean, in a movie theatre or restaurant. At a Bomber game. At a concert in an indoor venue. Stuff like that.

I went to a movie in July and wore a mask. Most others didn't. 

Bomber game - on the bus and on the concourse. Not in my seats, as it's open air. 

Concert - Haven't been. 

Restaurant - unless I'm eating, yes. But, I don't get out much. I'm mostly just a chauffer, activity coordinator. and personal shopper for two boys and they don't let me out much. 

I'm in a bit of a different situation, as my wife, for the past 8 months has been immunocompromised and getting covid could have been deadly. Luckily, for the worst of it, she didn't get sick. But, It was no fun in August, I will tell you. 

19 hours ago, basslicker said:

Time to live with it or cower in fear every time someone gets the sniffles.  The sick die all the time, I'm not being callous, it's just truth.  If you're at-risk of anything, you protect yourself when you can.  I have a type-1 diabetic friend, he's a higher risk than your average person, plus he has lung issues, doesn't stop him from living and doesn't live behind a mask.  "Get busy living or get busy dying."

I worked in the same building with Friar Nicholson back in the day.  Smoked and drank his way through Type 1 Diabetes.  Ended up looking 25 years older than his age and died young.  I respect his choices as he wanted to live life.

The difference being that his diabetes wasn't contagious.

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

I went to a movie in July and wore a mask. Most others didn't. 

Bomber game - on the bus and on the concourse. Not in my seats, as it's open air. 

Concert - Haven't been. 

Restaurant - unless I'm eating, yes. But, I don't get out much. I'm mostly just a chauffer, activity coordinator. and personal shopper for two boys and they don't let me out much. 

I'm in a bit of a different situation, as my wife, for the past 8 months has been immunocompromised and getting covid could have been deadly. Luckily, for the worst of it, she didn't get sick. But, It was no fun in August, I will tell you. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your wife is okay. 

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Saw one mask between my kids two schools. I don't think most people have "given up" so much as everyone has had the virus by now and aren't really scared of it anymore.

Or have resigned to the fact that they'll eventually get it.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Saw one mask between my kids two schools. I don't think most people have "given up" so much as everyone has had the virus by now and aren't really scared of it anymore.

Fear can make people do some really strange things.     Look at how insane people were at one point buying toilet paper.   

I look back at Y2K and how some people thought nukes were going to be shot out and the world was going to end.    People can toss out all sorts of common sense when they are afraid of the unknown.  

That being said it is known now and COVID isn't the end of the world,  it's just another part of life and people (despite the few folks on here virtue signalling)  have adjusted and are moving forward in life.   

I'm just happy that everyone is back to school,  the kids are thrilled,  the CFL is going on and Bomber games are packed with fans cheering,  I can go out with friends to restaurants ,   life is good again and that's pretty awesome.     No complaints until January when the temp gets super cold and the yearly bitching about why I live in a city where the air hurts my face happens again :) 

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Fear can make people do some really strange things.     Look at how insane people were at one point buying toilet paper.   

I look back at Y2K and how some people thought nukes were going to be shot out and the world was going to end.    People can toss out all sorts of common sense when they are afraid of the unknown.  

That being said it is known now and COVID isn't the end of the world,  it's just another part of life and people (despite the few folks on here virtue signalling)  have adjusted and are moving forward in life.   

I'm just happy that everyone is back to school,  the kids are thrilled,  the CFL is going on and Bomber games are packed with fans cheering,  I can go out with friends to restaurants ,   life is good again and that's pretty awesome.     No complaints until January when the temp gets super cold and the yearly bitching about why I live in a city where the air hurts my face happens again :) 

Me choosing to wear a mask doesn't stop me from moving forward in life.  There seem to be people around who think that wearing a mask (forced or by their own choice) is living in fear or virtue signaling and that's just BS.

It is being cautious, and in the case where a person has a cough, sore throat, consistent sneezing, then wearing a mask is a courtesy that they are doing for others.  Whether it's Covid or not, masking in public when you have symptoms of anything is something that we should have always been doing as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like getting sick with anything, so knowing what I know now, I will do what I can (within reason) to help reduce the risk of that happening.  Right now, that's wearing a mask in indoor public places as much as possible.  I wear a mask when I'm at my office even though it's not mandatory and I'm the only one wearing it, with the exception of the 1 or 2 people who have worn them when they have had a sore throat or cough (non-Covid).  I take it off to eat lunch at my desk and put it back on when I'm done... in doing so, I'm reducing my possible exposure to whatever may be floating around the air.  Is it 100%, no, but it's something that gives me a bit of peace of mind.

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

The families and loved ones of the 6.5 million people who have died of COVID probably beg to differ -  as well as the rest of the thinking people who never ever said it was the end of the world.

18 hours ago, Sard said:

Me choosing to wear a mask doesn't stop me from moving forward in life.  There seem to be people around who think that wearing a mask (forced or by their own choice) is living in fear or virtue signaling and that's just BS.

It is being cautious, and in the case where a person has a cough, sore throat, consistent sneezing, then wearing a mask is a courtesy that they are doing for others.  Whether it's Covid or not, masking in public when you have symptoms of anything is something that we should have always been doing as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like getting sick with anything, so knowing what I know now, I will do what I can (within reason) to help reduce the risk of that happening.  Right now, that's wearing a mask in indoor public places as much as possible.  I wear a mask when I'm at my office even though it's not mandatory and I'm the only one wearing it, with the exception of the 1 or 2 people who have worn them when they have had a sore throat or cough (non-Covid).  I take it off to eat lunch at my desk and put it back on when I'm done... in doing so, I'm reducing my possible exposure to whatever may be floating around the air.  Is it 100%, no, but it's something that gives me a bit of peace of mind.

Now here is a critically thought out post where it shows how we can cohabitate with one another even if we see the world differently.

But what happens more times than not is someone comes in hot on this (usually behind a key board), throws judgement on it (often with caps and exclamation points) and demonstrates to the virtual world how well they are able to reflect and look inwards.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/health-canada-pfizer-kids-under-5-1.6577568

Pfizer-BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine for kids under five has been approved by Health Canada, making it the second vaccine option for children in this age group.

"After a thorough and independent scientific review of the evidence, Health Canada has determined that the benefits of this vaccine outweigh the potential risks in this age group," reads a news release sent Friday.

Health Canada has approved a three-dose primary series of three micrograms each of Pfizer-BioNTech's vaccine for children aged six months to four-years-old. 

That differs from Moderna's vaccine for this age group, a two-dose series and a higher amount of vaccine per dose which was approved in July.

On 2022-09-08 at 1:55 PM, Sard said:

I'm not talking about you when I say that, I'm talking about the world in general... just look at the politics stuff that's going on right now... if it's not hate it's a very strong dislike.

I know you weren't talking about me so it's all good. I think it's more like nobody cares anymore. Mistrust of government, media & all institutions has never been higher. People are tired. Just want to live their lives. People want less government intrusion into their lives & not more. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

55 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know you weren't talking about me so it's all good. I think it's more like nobody cares anymore. Mistrust of government, media & all institutions has never been higher. People are tired. Just want to live their lives. People want less government intrusion into their lives & not more. 

You make it sound like it's the majority of people. No. It's a small, but vocal, group of Albertans that feels this way. Some Gappers too. But you're not the majority of Canadians. 

No it isn't, my cousin (on my mom's side) has it and as a result he couldn't attend his daughter's baby shower today (most of the guests weren't wearing masks, I kept mine on at all costs, can't risk it if another wave is imminent, we didn't stay at the party long though which is a shame since I met her newest fur baby)

https://deadline.com/2022/09/joe-biden-covid-pandemic-is-over-60-minutes-1235121793/

Edited by iHeart

On 2022-09-15 at 7:02 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

19 more deaths added to COVID-19 pandemic total in Manitoba :o

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/mantioba-covid-19-epidemiological-report-1.6583965

We don't get any stats here in Alberta. Not a one. Is there still a pandemic??? ;) You'd never know it here. We Albertans are on our own. Kenney has 2 weeks left. He's in London for the QEII funeral. He doesn't care.

Dreaded Side Effect Rears Its Ugly Head in Latest COVID Variant

All over the world, the rates of death and hospitalization from COVID keep dropping. But our successful mitigation of the worst outcomes of the 33-month-old pandemic belie a growing crisis.

More and more people are surviving COVID and staying out of the hospital, but more and more people are also living with long-term symptoms of COVID. Fatigue. Heart problems. Stomach problems. Lung problems. Confusion. Symptoms that can last for months or even a year or more after the infection clears.

As many as 21 percent of Americans who caught the SARS-CoV-2 virus this summer ended up suffering from long COVID starting four weeks after infection, according to a new study from City University of New York.

That’s up from 19 percent in figures the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported in June.

Compare those numbers to the recent rates of death and hospitalization from COVID in the U.S.—three percent and .3 percent, respectively. Long COVID is by far the likeliest serious outcome from any novel-coronavirus infection. And possibly getting likelier

.This Could Be the Only Way to Beat COVID for Good:

The CUNY study, which is not yet peer-reviewed, focused on American adults, but the results have implications for the whole world. Globally, long-term symptoms are partially replacing COVID deaths. After all, more COVID survivors means more people at risk of long-term symptoms. And long COVID is cumulative—people get sick and stay sick for a while.

“Despite an increased level of protection against long COVID from vaccination, it may be that the total number of people with long COVID in the U.S. is increasing,” epidemiologist Denis Nash, the CUNY study’s lead author, told The Daily Beast. That is, every day more people catch long COVID than recover from long COVID.

But understanding long COVID, to say nothing of preventing it, isn’t a priority in the global epidemiological establishment. That needs to change, Nash said. “I believe it is long past time to be focusing on long COVID in addition to preventing hospitalizations and deaths.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/scientists-warn-of-spike-in-long-covid-cases-across-the-united-states?ref=home

On 2022-09-08 at 11:24 AM, Wideleft said:

I worked in the same building with Friar Nicholson back in the day.  Smoked and drank his way through Type 1 Diabetes.  Ended up looking 25 years older than his age and died young.  I respect his choices as he wanted to live life.

The difference being that his diabetes wasn't contagious.

Lots of things are contagious, but we don't destroy our economy, freedom and stunt children's growth/development over them.