Covid-19

JCon

18 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Lots of things are contagious, but we don't destroy our economy, freedom and stunt children's growth/development over them.  

No, nothing like it has ever happened.

[Public health measures during the flu pandemic in the period 1918-1920 in Spain]

Abstract 

Background: The 1918 influenza epidemic was an event of great social and health resonance, which caused high morbidity and mortality in the population. The rapidity in the development of symptoms, the extension to very large groups of the population and the lack of knowledge of the causative agent, were the factors that, added together, made the flu a major public health problem. The objective of this study was to review, through the Spanish written press, of the public health measures adopted as a consequence of the influenza epidemic of 1918.

Methods: A selection of the Spanish press was carried out through the Digital Newspaper Library of the National Library (HDBN) of Spain, from January 1, 1918 to December 31, 1920; and the concept "flu" was searched, selecting those units of analysis that made reference to the public health measures adopted during the flu epidemic of 1918.

Results: The newspapers analyzed reported the public health measures adopted by the health authorities of the different countries in order to reduce the spread of the epidemic, such as the closure of schools and the postponement of the opening of the academic year, disinfection of premises, quarantines, isolation, suspension, popular celebrations, disinfection and hygiene, border control, suspension of communications by train, as well as the creation and use of different vaccines and serums to immunize the population.

Conclusions: The poor management of the epidemic could be one of the causes of the great impact of influenza in the first half of October 1918, as the decisions of the administration to promote public health measures were adopted with some delay.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33006327/

On 2022-09-16 at 10:10 PM, bustamente said:

Seems like a lot of these Covid denying business owners are closing up shop and leaving town

Part of being a business owner is to not alienate the vast majority of potential customers.    I remember working with a restaurant chain and one location had served something that had given some people food poisoning.  It made it to the press and that location and the other locations which had nothing to do with this incident had dropped in sales significantly for almost a year.   The main location was down 50% for almost 9 months.   

That being said some how Foody Goody and Cathay House somehow still survived despite being constantly in the news for health violations....

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thought Cathay went under.

Owner was given a boatload of fines and tried to close and reopen under a different name... didn't work out.    But for years and I'm talking 20 years in a row where it would get on the old health violations list and yet the place would still survive. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arrivecan-border-covid-end-1.6595710

The federal government is dropping all entry COVID-19 measures at borders, meaning travellers will no longer need to provide proof of vaccination when entering Canada or wear masks on planes and trains, Ottawa announced today.

The lifting of restrictions will take effect as of Oct. 1.

According to the announcement, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:

• Submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
  • Provide proof of vaccination;
  • Undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
  • Carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
  • Monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada;
  • Undergo health checks for travel on air and rail;
  • Or wear masks on planes and trains.

"This is great news for the economy," said Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino.

The measures also apply cruise ships so passengers will no longer be required to take pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. . 

Last week a group of MPs and border-city mayors published an open letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and U.S. President Joe Biden asking them to end the "unnecessary" rules at the border, a move they say would allow border communities to recover economically from the pandemic.

so the question I had, with Canada dropping the requirements for ArriveCAN and such...... do the Americans still have requirements in place? Like for people just jumping down to Grand Forks, or whatever, it's nice that on the way back you don't need anything except your drivers license or passport or whatever, but what about on the way down? Do they still have any rules in place? 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

so the question I had, with Canada dropping the requirements for ArriveCAN and such...... do the Americans still have requirements in place? Like for people just jumping down to Grand Forks, or whatever, it's nice that on the way back you don't need anything except your drivers license or passport or whatever, but what about on the way down? Do they still have any rules in place? 

I went to Grand Forks and Fargo over labour day.  There are no rules in place for land crossings into North Dakota.   You show your passport, they do their spiel, and off you go. 

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wait a minute....I was assured that the Canadian public would never get our freedoms back from covid. 

Haven't you heard? It's all PP's doing, as per his Twitter..... 2 weeks on the job and he's given everyone their freedom back! 

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wait a minute....I was assured that the Canadian public would never get our freedoms back from covid. That once the government got their greedy hands on our right to travel, they would never surrender them again. This must be the work of the great and powerful PP.

What are the flat-earthers going to complain about now?

Older Adults Who Had COVID May Be More At Risk For Alzheimer's Disease

Though SARS-CoV-2 was originally thought to be a respiratory virus, it’s become increasingly clear that the virus can have serious consequences on brain health. Many people have experienced neurological symptoms — like loss of taste and smell, headache and memory and attention issues— while infected, and most people who develop long COVID experience brain fog and cognitive problems like reduced concentration.

Now, new research suggests that COVID may increase our risk of developing brain disorders like Alzheimer’s disease, too. The study, which was published this month in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, found that older adults who were infected with COVID had a 50 to 80% higher chance of developing Alzheimer’s compared to people who’d never had COVID.
Doctors don’t think that COVID directly causes Alzheimer’s as much as it unmasks underlying illness or speeds up disease that’s already simmering. Scientists are still learning about the ways in which COVID can impact our ability to learn, remember, focus and perceive, but research suggests that infections, in general, can have a serious impact on our cognitive function, not only in the short term but in the long term as well.

“These findings are not surprising to me since there is increasing understanding that medical stressors, from surgery to urinary tract infections, can lead to abrupt declines in cognitive abilities called ‘delirium’ or ‘encephalopathy,’ which is increasingly recognized as a risk factor for subsequent dementia diagnosis,” Dr. Joshua Cahan, an assistant professor of neurology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, told HuffPost.
The researchers evaluated the health records of 6.2 million adults age 65 and older who had received medical treatment between February 2020 and May 2020. At the start of the study, no one had previously been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease.

The individuals were split into two groups: people who had COVID (over 400,000) and people who had not (about 5.8 million). The research team found that that the risk of getting Alzheimer’s doubled, from 0.35% to 0.68%, among those who had COVID. The risk was greatest in women who were 85 and older.

14 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

They're getting into politics now. I wish I was joking. School board trustee position are being targeted. Will be very important to know who you're voting for.

anti science racists on the school board. just the start. these people are stupid, but energetic. they are zealots.

it is important to vote, after figuring out who the crackpots are. 

These people have already done massive damage, just with the cost of caring for them after they get sick.

and the stress on the medical workers, and the medical system. people with avoidable disease, clogging the system, and ruining lives of people with non preventable diseases.

repulsive morons, a burden on society.

Edited by Mark F

I got my 4th dose (second booster) back in July, so unfortunately I've got a bit of a wait before I can get the bivalent. Apparently you are eligible after 3 months, but better protection after 5 months. So I'll probably wait till December. Looking forward to it, though...lots of people getting sick right now.