Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

So what you are saying is that if everyone lived in a bubble then everyone would be safe? Unfortunately that isn't a realistic scenario to expect everyone in the world to just stay at home without any human contact.   

I'll repeat it again... the kids are ecstatic to be back in school and same with the teachers are far more happy to teach in person rather then doing it online where they only get a fraction of the learning then when in class.   Life is going back to normal and nearly everyone is far happier these days now that things are opened and they are no longer scared of the unknown.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1041135/life-expectancy-canada-all-time/

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CAN/canada/life-expectancy#:~:text=The current life expectancy for,a 0.18% increase from 2019.

Weird that you would cherry pick US stats and not use the Canadian stats which shows that I was right?    I also don't get the 0/1 what was that suppose to mean?  That you were wrong?  Either way all is good man don't be afraid for the kids at school.   It's all good! 

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

So what you are saying is that if everyone lived in a bubble then everyone would be safe? Unfortunately that isn't a realistic scenario to expect everyone in the world to just stay at home without any human contact.   

I'll repeat it again... the kids are ecstatic to be back in school and same with the teachers are far more happy to teach in person rather then doing it online where they only get a fraction of the learning then when in class.   Life is going back to normal and nearly everyone is far happier these days now that things are opened and they are no longer scared of the unknown.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1041135/life-expectancy-canada-all-time/

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CAN/canada/life-expectancy#:~:text=The current life expectancy for,a 0.18% increase from 2019.

Weird that you would cherry pick US stats and not use the Canadian stats which shows that I was right?    I also don't get the 0/1 what was that suppose to mean?  That you were wrong?  Either way all is good man don't be afraid for the kids at school.   It's all good! 

I said nothing about mental health or comparing life before restrictions and post restrictions. That's your thing and your rant. I just pointed out that there are medically documented side effects from having Covid.

Two things regarding your sources - once specifically states that it is an average of preceding 5 year data and the other, in bold letters, says that it DOES NOT include impacts from Covid. Their emphasis, not mine.

If you'd rather me provide Canadian data, directly from StatsCan:

Life expectancy and other elements of the complete life table, three-year estimates, Canada, all provinces except Prince Edward Island (statcan.gc.ca)

Life expectancy and other elements of the complete life table, single-year estimates, Canada, all provinces except Prince Edward Island (statcan.gc.ca)

Or if data isn't your thing:

Life expectancy in Canada took its biggest-ever dip in 2020, and COVID-19 was a factor: StatCan | Globalnews.ca

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Once again from your own link.....   81.97 >  81.93      it's a higher number meaning that people are living longer.

If you want to talk about cherry picking data, this is a great example.

Your original claim "all I know is that people are living longer than ever before" was disproven by the original data I provided.

You tried to provide alternate sources of data which clearly said that the results did not account for Covid-related mortality.

You accused me of cherry-picking American data, so I provided you with two separate data sets which clearly show life expectancy has decreased in Canada. I also provided you with a news article where even the headline showed that life expectancy had the biggest ever dip.

You cherry-picked data that shows life expectancy is higher in 2014-2016 than 2018-2020, but obviously ignored data that makes my case. In the column right beside your handpicked data it clearly shows a decrease in the 3 year data sets. The 1 year data set I provided is even a better example. It shows that 2020 has the lowest life expectancy going back to 2016. This should be more than enough for any reasonable person to make a conclusion.

I'm pretty sure my argument has been well made and my point has been proven by now. It is pretty clear you either have no clue how to read data or have been caught saying something that is demonstrably false and are grasping at straws in a feeble attempt to save face. Either way, I don't really see any point in continuing along this track.

Edited by WildPath

A couple of weeks ago I spoke to a friend who is in WRHA management and learned that over the past year or so, 10-15% of healthcare staff (doctors, nurses, orderlies, janitorial, dietary diagnostic etc are off with COVID-related illnesses, many long-term. Even before the pandemic hit, they were stretched to the limit and when the pandemic hit, it was the last straw. Even if all necessary measures are taken and no new pandemic hits, it will take 5-8 years for the system to recover. And doctor's offices are much the same.

Edited by Tracker

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

A couple of weeks ago I spoke to a friend who is in WRHA management and learned that over the past year or so, 10-15% of healthcare staff (doctors, nurses, orderlies, janitorial, dietary diagnostic etc are off with COVID-related illnesses, many long-term. Even before the pandemic hit, they were stretched to the limit and when the pandemic hit, it was the last straw. Even if all necessary measures are taken and no new pandemic hits, it will take 5-8 years for the system to recover. And doctor's offices are much the same.

There is a similar problem in the school system.  Retired teachers used to be the biggest and most effective pool of substitute teachers

Many of them are now choosing not to sub, covid being the primary reason

On 2022-10-15 at 9:25 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not sure if Covid or guns.

Assuming this is a joke? I haven't looked at the data, but I couldn't imagine there is enough gun crime to boost the numbers. Especially with a pandemic ongoing that also lowered life expectancy numbers in Canada.

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lol I would actually love to be a sub as long as it wasn't for my own kids. They better be learning!! Lol. For real though I used to run an after school program and miss it from time to time.

Cool! My last sub plan was just for an afternoon. I made a different topic of study related word search for each class. Kids loved it - sub had an easy afternoon. 

• 2 weeks later...

As the virus mutates, the most common COVID symptoms appear to be changing, too

SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID, is devastating precisely because it can worm its way into so many different organs and systems in the body. That manifests as different symptoms, from fever to trouble breathing, although an infection can be asymptomatic, too — that is, no symptoms at all.

Throughout the pandemic, there have been a few telltale signs of COVID infection. The loss of sense of smell and taste were chief among them. But as the virus has mutated again and again, creating new strains like Typhon (BQ.1) and Gryphon (XBB) which can evade some of our tools to fight it, it seem that the symptoms of COVID may have changed as well.

Recent estimates published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday pegged Typhon and its close relative Cerberus (BQ.1.1) as making up 27 percent of cases, an 11 percent increase from last week. Meanwhile, cases of BA.5, the strain that has dominated cases for the majority of summer, dipped below 50 percent for the first time in months.

Indeed, emerging data suggests the symptoms of COVID are changing with new variants. And, they can differ regardless of whether you've been vaccinated or not, or previously infected. Newly released data from the ZOE Health Study, which maintains the COVID Symptom Tracker app, finds that the dominant symptoms have shifted.

The app was originally launched in March 2020. It quickly logged one million users, who typed in how COVID was making them feel, allowing researchers to pin down some of the most common COVID symptoms. It was part of the reason why it became well-known that anosmia (loss of smell and taste) is a key symptom of the original COVID strain.
More recently, ZOE crunched the data from over 4.8 million users and found that after two vaccinations, the top-ranking symptoms were sore throat, runny nose, blocked nose, persistent cough, headache, in that order. (Vaccines can protect against severe disease, which generally means hospitalization or death, but breakthrough infections are not unheard of, although far less severe than infections in the unvaccinated.)

Loss of smell has slipped to the number nine slot, while shortness of breath is down at number 30 for this group. ZOE says this indicates "the symptoms as recorded previously are changing with the evolving variants of the virus."

Just one dose of a vaccine can shift the order of most common symptoms to headache, runny nose, sore throat, sneezing and then persistent cough. For those who haven't received a vaccine at all, the symptoms are generally closer to the original ranking from 2020: headache, sore throat, runny nose, fever and persistent cough.

However, loss of smell has slipped to the number nine slot, while shortness of breath is down at number 30 for this group. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/moderna-bivalent-covid-ba4-5-1.6639232

Health Canada has approved Moderna's updated COVID-19 vaccine targeting the Omicron BA.4/BA.5 subvariants in adults. 

The regulator said Thursday it determined that the bivalent Moderna Spikevax booster is safe and effective.

"Clinical trial results showed that a booster dose of the bivalent Moderna Spikevax vaccine triggers a strong immune response against both Omicron (BA.4/BA.5) and the original SARS-CoV-2 virus strains," Health Canada said in a release.

Side effects were mild and similar to the previously approved version of the vaccine, according to Health Canada.

The updated vaccine is a combination of two strains, also known as a "bivalent" shot. It contains both the original vaccine formulation and protection against the Omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5.

Popped my first positive yesterday. Feel like a bag of dicks today. Late 30's, triple vax (I know it could be quadruple), generally a healthy guy... this has taken me down harder than I expected. I can only imagine what it's like for people that suffer worse symptoms, vaxxed or otherwise. If my vaxxes did anything at all to mitigate these symptoms I'll be forever grateful for them.

It was comic con. A super(hero)-spreader event I'll show myself out

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

Popped my first positive yesterday. Feel like a bag of dicks today. Late 30's, triple vax (I know it could be quadruple), generally a healthy guy... this has taken me down harder than I expected. I can only imagine what it's like for people that suffer worse symptoms, vaxxed or otherwise. If my vaxxes did anything at all to mitigate these symptoms I'll be forever grateful for them.

It was comic con. A super(hero)-spreader event I'll show myself out

That you are well enough to report your experience likely means the vaccines ameliorated your symptoms. Non-vaxxed people get sicker for much longer periods and experience brain fog and compromised breathing for a lot longer. There is even some tentative evidence that this can lead to early-onset dementia, although if you are living in Saskatchewan, it would be hard to tell.