Covid-19

JCon

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid19-public-health-order-update-1.5832699

Holiday gatherings will be outlawed in Manitoba this year as sweeping COVID-19 restrictions will be extended into the new year, though officials have added a number of exemptions to the provincial health order.

The restrictions will continue into January, Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin and Premier Brian Pallister announced Tuesday.

Pallister said the orders have worked but restrictions are still needed.

"They're working. They're beginning to make a difference. You're beginning to make a difference, and that is critical as we move forward," Pallister said.

"This is not a victory lap. These numbers are not sustainable … but Manitobans need to know that what they've done has helped."

He made the comments as Manitoba announced 13 more deaths, 245 new cases and a provincial test positivity rate of 13.3 per cent.

A fitting way to cap off this shitty year. *sadface*

51 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Yeah, we are going to see more high death days for the next week or two.

The good news is that the number of new cases is going down.

They're not really going down, just fewer tests were processed. The test positivity remains embarrassingly high at 13.3% for the Province and 13.6% in Winnipeg. 

Deaths will continue to be high as long as there remains outbreaks at the PCHs and hospitals. 

https://www.chrisd.ca/2020/12/08/manitoba-public-health-orders-holidays-restrictions-extended/

but some changes are coming such as: (and thank god I miss going into Value Village)

* Allowing drive-in events such as religious services, with strict rules;
* Allowing thrift stores to open;
* Listing school supplies as essential items;
* Adding retail exemptions for the purchase of holiday and religious items, such as candles and decorations;
* Allowing acupuncturists and manual osteopathy services to operate;
* Allowing the Winnipeg Jets to practise.

Edited by iHeart

13 minutes ago, iHeart said:

https://www.chrisd.ca/2020/12/08/manitoba-public-health-orders-holidays-restrictions-extended/

but some changes are coming such as:

* Adding retail exemptions for the purchase of holiday and religious items, such as candles and decorations;

I see they caved to the pressures of Springs.   That's sad. 

15 minutes ago, iHeart said:

but some changes are coming such as:

So poinsettias are back on the shopping list?

When we have three consecutive days of declines, we can breathe a little easier. Christmas is going to be a real test, though.

On 2020-12-07 at 1:27 PM, Bigblue204 said:

I don't know...did you read the article? Someone having questions about the side effects of a new drug are labelled conspiracy theorists and anti vaxers...? That's bullshit. Having concerns is 100% needed and necessary. We need people who question things. That's good science. I'm also 100% against government making this mandatory. I'm sure if I stopped there, loads of people would be willing to right me off as anti vaxer. But I'll be getting the vaccine when it's available. Because I trust science. Not because the government told me to. Doing anything that way is dangerous and not acceptable in a free society.

Reported today that this doctor has been active in anti-vaxer campaigns for years. Being a medical doctor does not ensure anything- remember that two doctors gave cyanide Kool-aid to their childrenas well as others.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

When we have three consecutive days of declines, we can breathe a little easier. Christmas is going to be a real test, though.

Reported today that this doctor has been active in anti-vaxer campaigns for years. Being a medical doctor does not ensure anything- remember that two doctors gave cyanide Kool-aid to their childrenas well as others.

Reported by who? Anti-vaxer has taken on many different things, including asking questions about vaccines.

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Reported by who? Anti-vaxer has taken on many different things, including asking questions about vaccines.

New York Times:

Anti-Vaccine Doctor Has Been Invited to Testify Before Senate Committee
The selection of Dr. Jane M. Orient as federal health officials are trying to promote a vaccine to end the coronavirus pandemic prompted harsh criticism from Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York.
WASHINGTON — A doctor who is skeptical of coronavirus vaccines and promotes the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine as a Covid-19 treatment will be the lead witness at a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing on Tuesday, prompting criticism from Democrats who say Republicans should not give a platform to someone who spreads conspiracy theories.

Dr. Jane M. Orient is the executive director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, a group that opposes government involvement in medicine and views federal vaccine mandates as a violation of human rights.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

New York Times:

Anti-Vaccine Doctor Has Been Invited to Testify Before Senate Committee
The selection of Dr. Jane M. Orient as federal health officials are trying to promote a vaccine to end the coronavirus pandemic prompted harsh criticism from Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York.
WASHINGTON — A doctor who is skeptical of coronavirus vaccines and promotes the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine as a Covid-19 treatment will be the lead witness at a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing on Tuesday, prompting criticism from Democrats who say Republicans should not give a platform to someone who spreads conspiracy theories.

Dr. Jane M. Orient is the executive director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, a group that opposes government involvement in medicine and views federal vaccine mandates as a violation of human rights.

Yeah that was the original article that I commented on. Again, having questions about vaccines...which is all I've seen from her does not equal anti vaxxer. Having questions about this vaccine is important and should not be seen as anti science. Anyone who is peddling that either doesn't understand how science works or is pushing an agenda. Either way that's not good. The Times has really started to fall off when it comes to good journalism.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah that was the original article that I commented on. Again, having questions about vaccines...which is all I've seen from her does not equal anti vaxxer. Having questions about this vaccine is important and should not be seen as anti science. Anyone who is peddling that either doesn't understand how science works or is pushing an agenda. Either way that's not good. The Times has really started to fall off when it comes to good journalism.

Any doctor who opposes mass, even mandatory vaccination for pandemics or realisticly potential pandemic prevention is serving their own political biases, not the health and wellbeing of their patients. Mass,  mandatory vaccinations have stopped smallpox , polio and many other diseases and any doctor who denies the efficacy of that is an idealogue.

Just now, Tracker said:

Any doctor who opposes mass, even mandatory vaccination for pandemics or realisticly potential pandemic prevention is serving their own political biases, not the health and wellbeing of their patients. Mass,  mandatory vaccinations have stopped smallpox , polio and many other diseases and any doctor who denies the efficacy of that is an idealogue.

Show me were she states that though. That's what I'm saying.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

She is a nutcase bud. Here, she suggests that America should fear migrant caravans because there might be a suicide agent embedded with a deadly disease, not to mention all the other diseases the caravan is surely carrying (dirty foreigners that they are)

"One scenario is to embed a suicide agent incubating a deadly disease in a mass of migrants. Or there are doubtlessly innocent persons infected with deadly diseases to which Americans have no immunity among thousands of migrants overwhelming our border—from Central America and many other places. "

https://aapsonline.org/epidemics-fear-and-denial-how-every-american-is-threatened/

She proposes things to be afraid of without any evidence there is anything to be afraid of. She penned this article in support of the wall so we know where her heart lies as well.

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

She is a nutcase bud. Here, she suggests that America should fear migrant caravans because there might be a suicide agent embedded with a deadly disease, not to mention all the other diseases the caravan is surely carrying (dirty foreigners that they are)

"One scenario is to embed a suicide agent incubating a deadly disease in a mass of migrants. Or there are doubtlessly innocent persons infected with deadly diseases to which Americans have no immunity among thousands of migrants overwhelming our border—from Central America and many other places. "

https://aapsonline.org/epidemics-fear-and-denial-how-every-american-is-threatened/

She proposes things to be afraid of without any evidence there is anything to be afraid of. She penned this article in support of the wall so we know where her heart lies as well.

I actually went and researched her a bit more and came to that same conclusion. My main point is, the article in the Times does a HORRIBLE job of showing that she's anti-vaxxer (though I still don't think she is anti-vaccine just overall crazy) it does make it seem like if you have questions about the safety of THIS vaccine, you should be shunned and turned into an anti-vaxxer. And that's bullshit. And more and more media outlets are doing this type of bullshit reporting. It happens from the right via Antifa and it's happening on the Left with those who have real questions about the vaccine or defunding the police.

This vaccine is brand new. AND based on a brand new technology. And we have 0 long term data, not even 12 months worth. That's 100% outside of the norms for any vaccine ever developed. It's not a bad thing to question this is really all I'm saying.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Read the article.

I actually went and researched her a bit more and came to that same conclusion. My main point is, the article in the Times does a HORRIBLE job of showing that she's anti-vaxxer (though I still don't think she is anti-vaccine just overall crazy) it does make it seem like if you have questions about the safety of THIS vaccine, you should be shunned and turned into an anti-vaxxer. And that's bullshit. And more and more media outlets are doing this type of bullshit reporting. It happens from the right via Antifa and it's happening on the Left with those who have real questions about the vaccine or defunding the police.

This vaccine is brand new. AND based on a brand new technology. And we have 0 long term data, not even 12 months worth. That's 100% outside of the norms for any vaccine ever developed. It's not a bad thing to question this is really all I'm saying.

She is the head of a medical association that opposes mandatory vaccination and government involvement in healthcare. Draw your own conclusions.

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Read the article.

She is the head of a medical association that opposes mandatory vaccination and government involvement in healthcare. Draw your own conclusions.

Lol the article doesn't have her saying she against vaccines. Have you read it?

I'm also against government mandates. Especially when it comes to my body. I understand why they're needed...we got a bunch of idiots running around...but we as a society need to be very cautious and assertive when it comes those types of laws.

We should be volunteering to take the vaccine because it's based on solid evidence and good science. Not because the government says so.

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

FFS. Anti vaxer is just some GD idiot without two brain cells to rub together. It's not about asking question, it's about being a ******* idiot, but there seems to be a lot of that these days.

SMFH

14 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

FFS. Anti vaxer is just some GD idiot without two brain cells to rub together. It's not about asking question, it's about being a ******* idiot, but there seems to be a lot of that these days.

SMFH

Right I agree with that. What I'm saying is I'm seeing articles like the one from the Times, as well as other chatter online about people who have legitimate questions about the long term consequences of this vaccine being called out as anti-vaxxers. When we should be asking these questions.

Right I agree with that. What I'm saying is I'm seeing articles like the one from the Times, as well as other chatter online about people who have legitimate questions about the long term consequences of this vaccine being called out as anti-vaxxers. When we should be asking these questions.

Sure.  But this was not really a rush job - the preliminary work has been ongoing since 2003 (SARS).

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Sure.  But this was not really a rush job - the preliminary work has been ongoing since 2003 (SARS).

And they got to skip over all of the usual waiting between trials because they already had the funding that they usually have to wait on.  The actual trial steps were complete.

On 2020-12-07 at 5:21 PM, GCJenks said:

I agree, though in theory if we’ve had the vaccine should we care?

For when COVID mutates and isn't suppressed by the current vaccine. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a system in place that tracks which citizens are (or are not) vaccinated. Better late than never.