Covid-19

JCon

42 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

For when COVID mutates and isn't suppressed by the current vaccine. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a system in place that tracks which citizens are (or are not) vaccinated. Better late than never.

I'm sorry, I don't follow. If the disease mutates and no current vaccine gives protection what is the point of knowing who has the current vaccine?

Wouldn't that be about as important as knowing who got the flu shot in the fall of 2019? 

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Right I agree with that. What I'm saying is I'm seeing articles like the one from the Times, as well as other chatter online about people who have legitimate questions about the long term consequences of this vaccine being called out as anti-vaxxers. When we should be asking these questions.

I have some background in the healthcare system, and I can tell you that every medication/supplement has the potential for abreactions- even aspirin and dental freezing can be fatal under certain circumstances. In all cases, the benefits are weighed against the urgency of need and the potential for iatriogenic harm. What is harmful is the knee-jerk reactions against the products of systems that have produced drugs and procedures that have saved the lives of tens of millions. When multiple, independent oversights of drugs result in  consistent approval, the default position is that there is a very high likelihood (not zero) that the drug will be esstially harmless.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I have some background in the healthcare system, and I can tell you that every medication/supplement has the potential for abreactions- even aspirin and dental freezing can be fatal under certain circumstances. In all cases, the benefits are weighed against the urgency of need and the potential for iatriogenic harm. What is harmful is the knee-jerk reactions against the products of systems that have produced drugs and procedures that have saved the lives of tens of millions. When multiple, independent oversights of drugs result in  consistent approval, the default position is that there is a very high likelihood (not zero) that the drug will be esstially harmless.

I understand that. Your speaking to the converted here. But lets not pretend medical issues have not been used to harm individuals or populations. Even THIS year there have been down right awful circumstances. I will NEVER attack/belittle anyone asking questions about a drug and it's potential side effects. That's a slippery slope when we allow that to happen. And if you have the experience you know very well there are no substitutes for long term data. This type of behavior from the media/government etc isn't just dangerous now...it's dangerous for the years a head. 

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I understand that. Your speaking to the converted here. But lets not pretend medical issues have not been used to harm individuals or populations. Even THIS year there have been down right awful circumstances. I will NEVER attack/belittle anyone asking questions about a drug and it's potential side effects. That's a slippery slope when we allow that to happen. And if you have the experience you know very well there are no substitutes for long term data. This type of behavior from the media/government etc isn't just dangerous now...it's dangerous for the years a head. 

Agreed, but those who attack a benign system are also subject to scrutiny as to their goals. Dr, Orient and Dr. Alpha have histories that place them in the "not credible" camps. 

People with a history of significant allergic reactions should not receive the Covid vaccine, the medicines regulator has said, after two NHS workers experienced symptoms on Wednesday.

Would you like to know more?

NB: The patient information leaflet with the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine says it should not be given to people allergic to any substance in the vaccine.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Florida Megachurch Pastor Tells Evangelical Congregants Not To Take COVID-19 Vaccine. “Believe in the blood of Jesus. Believe in divine immunity,” King Jesus International Ministry's Guillermo Maldonado said in a sermon.

A prominent Florida megachurch pastor has advised his congregants not to receive a COVID-19vaccine, urging them to “believe in divine immunity” instead.

Guillermo Maldonado, founding pastor of the Miami-based King Jesus International Ministry and a loyal supporter of President Donald Trump, shared already debunked claims from the pulpit on Sunday about the vaccine altering DNA and being used to track people down. 

The Pentecostal preacher imbued those conspiracy theories with religious significance by connecting them to his beliefs about the end of the world. Pointing to verses from the Bible’s Book of Revelation, Maldonado suggested that the coronavirus vaccine would help lay the groundwork for the coming of the Antichrist.

“Do not [take] the vaccine. Believe in the blood of Jesus. Believe in divine immunity,” Maldonado said in a bilingual sermon that was translated live and streamed on Facebook. 

Florida Megachurch Pastor Tells Evangelical Congregants Not To Take COVID-19 Vaccine | HuffPost Canada (huffingtonpost.ca)

Coronavirus vaccines weren't tested on pregnant women — here's why that's a problem
"Pregnant immune systems are a little different … we don't have any direct data on whether it's safe," one doc said. The Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is breaking some healthcare barriers, but not all.

In less than one year, the vaccine has passed through three required phases of a clinical trial and is currently ready to be mass-produced across the world. Great Britain became the first Western Nation to vaccinate its citizens this week. As soon as this weekend, hospitals across the United States will be able to start vaccinating frontline workers, pending approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

However, there's one peculiar caveat to the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine— and to other major vaccine trials, too: none included pregnant women in their clinical trials. Indeed, not one of the vaccines expected to be approved by the FDA in the next couple weeks, including the Pfizer/BioNTech one, have been tested on pregnant women directly, leaving a cohort of people who are vulnerable to COVID-19 with no direct information on how the vaccine will affect them or their fetuses.

"We don't know anything directly about the safety of the vaccine in pregnant or in lactating persons because they were all excluded from the vaccine trials," Dr. Melissa Simon, Director of the Center for Health Equity Transformation at Northwestern's Center at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine, told Salon in a phone interview. "The only thing that could have possibly happened, which we won't know until the data are unblinded, is if any of the participants in the vaccine trials got pregnant during the course of participating in the trial."

https://www.salon.com/2020/12/09/coronavirus-vaccines-werent-tested-on-pregnant-womenheres-why-thats-a-problem/

4 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I'm sorry, I don't follow. If the disease mutates and no current vaccine gives protection what is the point of knowing who has the current vaccine?

Wouldn't that be about as important as knowing who got the flu shot in the fall of 2019? 

Trend analysis of vaccinations by citizen, also that way you could keep track of which individuals do (or do not) have the vaccine. I mean, if you really want to get big brother you could then use that information to restrict access to areas (I'm not condoning this, just giving it as an example).

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Trend analysis of vaccinations by citizen, also that way you could keep track of which individuals do (or do not) have the vaccine. I mean, if you really want to get big brother you could then use that information to restrict access to areas (I'm not condoning this, just giving it as an example).

FYI: the research for a vaccine that prevents all of the SARS variants (including all the COVID mutations) is going on with intially promising results, although it will probably take several years to determine if it will be possible,

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavirus-what-s-happening-in-canada-and-around-the-world-on-thursday-1.5835527

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/cews-wage-subsidy-jobs-covid-1.5834790

...tens of millions of dollars from the government's pandemic aid package has gone to corporations whose overall revenues are up, despite the economic downturn.

Pretty ******* ridiculous. Yet another example of taxpayers' money making the rich richer.

More Than 3,100 Dead From COVID-19 In U.S. In Grim Single-Day Record. The United States is on track to surpass 300,000 deaths from the coronavirus by the end of the year.

At least 3,124 people in the United States died from COVID-19 on Wednesday, a grim new record as the country grapples with the worst phase of the pandemic thus far. 

Johns Hopkins University reported the figure late Wednesday amid a surge in infections around the nation following the Thanksgiving Day holiday period. More than 220,000 people tested positive for the coronavirus on Wednesday alone, and U.S. hospitals have already begun reporting a frightening limit in intensive care beds.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What no sports and weather?

CDC director Redfield instructed his staff to delete email from Trump-appointed official: watchdog

Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), asked members of his staff to discard an email from a Trump-appointed political figure seeking to manage the public health agency's COVID-19 reports, according to a senior official.

During a private interview on Monday, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) editor Charlotte Kent spoke with investigators as she shared details about the email she received from Paul Alexander, the former scientific adviser to Health and Human Services (HHS) representative Michael Caputo.

According to Kent, that the Aug. 8 email was an attempt by Alexander to dilute the publication's report and manipulate it to align with President Donald Trump's downplaying of the pandemic. She also confirmed she was told to delete that particular email.

"I was instructed to delete the email," Kent told investigators. "I went to look for it after I had been told to delete it, and it was already gone."

https://www.alternet.org/2020/12/robert-redfield/