Covid-19

JCon

TP down to 13% (13.2% in Winnipeg).

I hope this is the start of a favourable trend.

Sadly, 14 more people died. 

I'm hoping my grandmother, 95 years old, is in the second wave of those receiving the vaccine. The elderly and frontline health care workers need it most. 

After Positive COVID-19 Diagnosis, GOP Lawmaker Deletes Post Mocking Precautions

Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) boasted on Facebook Wednesday that he was back in Washington and looking forward to voting in person on the House floor. He also mocked Democrats for being overly cautious during the pandemic. 

A few hours later, Wilson, 73, announced he had tested positive for COVID-19. That Facebook post has since been deleted. 

In a statement Wednesday night, Wilson promised to take “all necessary precautions, as directed by the House Physician” and said he would quarantine “through the Christmas holiday.”

“Thankfully I feel fine and do not have any symptoms. It is so important that we all do our part to help prevent the spread of this virus,” he added. 

After Positive COVID-19 Diagnosis, GOP Lawmaker Deletes Post Mocking Precautions | HuffPost Canada (huffingtonpost.ca)

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

After Positive COVID-19 Diagnosis, GOP Lawmaker Deletes Post Mocking Precautions

Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) boasted on Facebook Wednesday that he was back in Washington and looking forward to voting in person on the House floor. He also mocked Democrats for being overly cautious during the pandemic. 

A few hours later, Wilson, 73, announced he had tested positive for COVID-19. That Facebook post has since been deleted. 

In a statement Wednesday night, Wilson promised to take “all necessary precautions, as directed by the House Physician” and said he would quarantine “through the Christmas holiday.”

“Thankfully I feel fine and do not have any symptoms. It is so important that we all do our part to help prevent the spread of this virus,” he added. 

After Positive COVID-19 Diagnosis, GOP Lawmaker Deletes Post Mocking Precautions | HuffPost Canada (huffingtonpost.ca)

This weird bravado than backtracking is getting old real fast. 

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This weird bravado than backtracking is getting old real fast. 

But its all they have. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

TP down to 13% (13.2% in Winnipeg).

I hope this is the start of a favourable trend.

Sadly, 14 more people died. 

I'm hoping my grandmother, 95 years old, is in the second wave of those receiving the vaccine. The elderly and frontline health care workers need it most. 

The mortality lags about three-four weeks behind the casefinding, so we have to wait until after New Years to see that stat fall.  

On 2020-12-16 at 2:49 PM, Mr Dee said:

Take out it is...

Been saying this about driving a school bus. Alberta Health Services & the school boards we drive for won't tell drivers if a student has Covid because of the fact they say we haven't been exposed for more than 15 minutes which is so much ****.... My students are on my bus for 20 minutes to half an hour & they pass so close to me that they bump into me. Or sit one seat behind. Then there's FOIP. We aren't allowed to know. Bring the virus home to my family is okay but I'm not allowed as a driver to know which students are away with Covid. I have 2 fans that are supposed to be used to clear any fogged up windshields. I have them blowing on me full blast all the time. To hopefully blow any Covid virus past or away from me. Yes, we have masks & PPE face shields we put on when students come on board or depart  but that doesn't feel like much protection.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Swedish King: Our Wingnut-Approved COVID Strategy Was Deadly. It wasn’t so long ago that U.S. Republican commentators were lauding the so-called Swedish model—but now it’s increasingly unpopular in the country it was created.

-Reuters
Remember in the early days of the pandemic, when people like Tucker Carlson and Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) advocated that the U.S. follow the Swedish model of avoiding strict lockdowns and letting life carry on largely as normal amid the highly contagious virus?

Well, as the year ends, Sweden is coming to terms with a death toll that is approximately 10 times higher than neighboring Norway and Finland, and now its king has condemned political leaders for their experiment, branding the light-touch strategy a miserable and deadly failure.

“The people of Sweden have suffered tremendously in difficult conditions,” King Carl XVI Gustaf, who is traditionally tight-lipped on political matters, told the Swedish state broadcaster SVT. He added, “I think we have failed. We have a large number who have died, and that is terrible.”

Although it’s remarkable for a king to comment on policy, his actual comments were a statement of the obvious. Anders Tegnell, the country’s top epidemiologist who designed its anti-lockdown strategy, has himself admitted that too many people have died and the country should have done more to prevent the spread of the disease from the outset.

40 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Swedish King: Our Wingnut-Approved COVID Strategy Was Deadly. It wasn’t so long ago that U.S. Republican commentators were lauding the so-called Swedish model—but now it’s increasingly unpopular in the country it was created.

-Reuters
Remember in the early days of the pandemic, when people like Tucker Carlson and Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) advocated that the U.S. follow the Swedish model of avoiding strict lockdowns and letting life carry on largely as normal amid the highly contagious virus?

Well, as the year ends, Sweden is coming to terms with a death toll that is approximately 10 times higher than neighboring Norway and Finland, and now its king has condemned political leaders for their experiment, branding the light-touch strategy a miserable and deadly failure.

“The people of Sweden have suffered tremendously in difficult conditions,” King Carl XVI Gustaf, who is traditionally tight-lipped on political matters, told the Swedish state broadcaster SVT. He added, “I think we have failed. We have a large number who have died, and that is terrible.”

Although it’s remarkable for a king to comment on policy, his actual comments were a statement of the obvious. Anders Tegnell, the country’s top epidemiologist who designed its anti-lockdown strategy, has himself admitted that too many people have died and the country should have done more to prevent the spread of the disease from the outset.

Who were the members here last spring & summer who kept defending Sweden? I just remember that was all he & others here were talking about. Sweden this & Sweden that. A hundred years ago & the Swedish King would have executed the Epidemiologist Dr. Tegnell & the country's Prime Minister. Maybe they still should be.

46 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Who were the members here last spring & summer who kept defending Sweden? I just remember that was all he & others here were talking about. Sweden this & Sweden that. A hundred years ago & the Swedish King would have executed the Epidemiologist Dr. Tegnell & the country's Prime Minister. Maybe they still should be.

They have taken a solemn vow of silence.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

They have taken a solemn vow of silence.

No need to pile on. They came and shared their points of view and what they believed to be best. It's always good to ask questions and challenge the status quo. 

I was just as surprised and it was good- it made me question my beliefs on what to do and made me be critical of what we being told.  It's a good thing. I don't blame them for not surfacing, going to be a lot of "the **** were you thinking.... see", "such a stupid model to follow" and "how would you even consider that" thrown their way. I am going to try and be more civil if they come up in these threads again.

4 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No need to pile on. They came and shared their points of view and what they believed to be best. It's always good to ask questions and challenge the status quo. 

I was just as surprised and it was good- it made me question my beliefs on what to do and made me be critical of what we being told.  It's a good thing. I don't blame them for not surfacing, going to be a lot of "the **** were you thinking.... see", "such a stupid model to follow" and "how would you even consider that" thrown their way. I am going to try and be more civil if they come up in these threads again.

There is rarely a need for personal attacks- we all have family for that. But the concept of "herd immunity" was so transparently wrong that it needed to be challenged. As with Sweden, it leads to the preventable deaths of hundreds of thousands, and is still alive and kicking.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There is rarely a need for personal attacks- we all have family for that. But the concept of "herd immunity" was so transparently wrong that it needed to be challenged. As with Sweden, it leads to the preventable deaths of hundreds of thousands, and is still alive and kicking.

To be fair though, at the beginning- it was looking pretty good. The Swedes were doing fairly well, considering they didn't do a complete lockdown. From all accounts, the population were doiing things without a national mandate (masks, social distancing and so forth)- but I guess as time went on- it wasn't enough: covid fatigue, not enough restrictions and so forth.

Today, with more data and knowledge about Covid, it looks like it was the absolute wrong thing to do. 

42 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

To be fair though, at the beginning- it was looking pretty good. The Swedes were doing fairly well, considering they didn't do a complete lockdown. From all accounts, the population were doing things without a national mandate (masks, social distancing and so forth)- but I guess as time went on- it wasn't enough: covid fatigue, not enough restrictions and so forth.

Today, with more data and knowledge about Covid, it looks like it was the absolute wrong thing to do. 

Sweden made the mistake of assuming that this was just another influenza, contrary to WHO statements. Other European countries took the WHO advice at face value- Norway had only 10% of the fatalities per capita, for example, did much better. Economics should not be the determinant in assessing responses to a looming pandemic.

28 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Sweden made the mistake of assuming that this was just another influenza, contrary to WHO statements. Other European countries took the WHO advice at face value- Norway had only 10% of the fatalities per capita, for example, did much better. Economics should not be the determinant in assessing responses to a looming pandemic.

Odd, I don't recall reading anywhere that Sweden thought " just another influenza". 

I agree with you that economics shouldn't determine health orders. Those were early days and that was the direction they went, it is what it is- they were wrong and now they have to deal with the consequences.