Covid-19

JCon

7 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

People crazy enough to not get the vaccine once widely available would also be crazy enough to forge legal documents like, say... a COVID passport?

So we don't even entertain the idea because "meh..."? There's gotta be a way.,...

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

She also a proponent of hydroxychloroquine, so that’s quite a stance right there. Hear her and tell me she’s not “out there”.

Besides do they really want more questions about the vaccines after they’ve been deemed safe? They want as many people as possible to take the vaccine. This would help in fighting the virus. 

I agree, we always need more information, just not from some quack.

Hydroxychloroquine has been used to help fight Covid though...it's not a cure by any means, but Doctors have used it to help treat patients. 

And yes. We do need to question things. What are the long term side effects? Is that not a fair question to ask? 

I haven't been able to confirm (so take this with a grain of salt) but I have heard they didn't test recipients of the vaccine who didn't have symptoms after getting it...not a big deal right...but are any of them asymptomatic...if so, can they still spread it? Why weren't they tested? These are fair questions as far as I'm concerned. I also consider it bad science to ignore these issues.

Also I don't think she's a quack. That was kinda my point. She just has fair questions that deserve answers. We read headlines, and quick quotes and think that's the story. But reading the actual article, nothing she said or even anything the aurthor of the article said made her out to be some Right wing anti vaxxer. The article headline did though.

Edited by Bigblue204

20 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Also I don't think she's a quack

You may be the only one.

Jane Orient, the anti-vaccine, climate change denier, right-wing quack MD - Skeptical Raptor

Well, one of the most obnoxious anti-vaccine, right-wing, science denying MDs, Jane Orient, is back in the limelight.

Orient is the Executive Director of the "Association of American Physicians and Surgeons," the fake medical organization to which both Ron and Rand Paul belong. It's listed as a "quack organization" by Quackwatch, and while its main focus is ranting about the horrors of socialized medicine and Obamacare (same thing), the AAPS also opposes the HPV vaccine, which could cause sluttiness, and promotes the medically invalid lie that abortion causes breast cancer.

Oh, and she doesn’t believe in climate change..

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

You may be the only one.

Jane Orient, the anti-vaccine, climate change denier, right-wing quack MD - Skeptical Raptor

Well, one of the most obnoxious anti-vaccine, right-wing, science denying MDs, Jane Orient, is back in the limelight.

Orient is the Executive Director of the "Association of American Physicians and Surgeons," the fake medical organization to which both Ron and Rand Paul belong. It's listed as a "quack organization" by Quackwatch, and while its main focus is ranting about the horrors of socialized medicine and Obamacare (same thing), the AAPS also opposes the HPV vaccine, which could cause sluttiness, and promotes the medically invalid lie that abortion causes breast cancer.

Oh, and she doesn’t believe in climate change..

Fair enough...though again...we need to be careful, the Left demonizes people just as easily as the Right does.

39 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Hydroxychloroquine has been used to help fight Covid though...it's not a cure by any means, but Doctors have used it to help treat patients. 

And yes. We do need to question things. What are the long term side effects? Is that not a fair question to ask? 

I haven't been able to confirm (so take this with a grain of salt) but I have heard they didn't test recipients of the vaccine who didn't have symptoms after getting it...not a big deal right...but are any of them asymptomatic...if so, can they still spread it? Why weren't they tested? These are fair questions as far as I'm concerned. I also consider it bad science to ignore these issues.

Also I don't think she's a quack. That was kinda my point. She just has fair questions that deserve answers. We read headlines, and quick quotes and think that's the story. But reading the actual article, nothing she said or even anything the aurthor of the article said made her out to be some Right wing anti vaxxer. The article headline did though.

There has been a credible review of Hydroxychloroquin in Europe and there was zero benefit found, but evidence of mental disturbances.  The doctor in question ought to have been aware of that. Do you think that it was used when Trump went into crisis? It did not prevent him contracting COVID.

Q.E.D.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I desperately want the idea of a Covid Passport to come about. You can't attend any live large gathering event or travel anywhere without proving that you've been vaccinated. Why should the sane suffer at the hands of the crazy?

I agree, though in theory if we’ve had the vaccine should we care?

11 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I agree, though in theory if we’ve had the vaccine should we care?

I don't think the vaccine is a "magic bullet' per se. I'd actually still like to see masks and distancing remain a part of our lives for awhile yet....in addition to the vaccine.......

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't think the vaccine is a "magic bullet' per se. I'd actually still like to see masks and distancing remain a part of our lives for awhile yet....in addition to the vaccine.......

...............as many Doctors have said that the Vaccine, masks, hand washing, sanitizing, and social distancing should be observed all of next year.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Before, DeSantis was a fool and irresponsible. Now, he’s dangerous...

Doesn't matter what your political leanings are this is downright scary, America has gone down the rabbit hole of trampling on people's right and politicians are trying to impose their will on those that elected them and oppose them

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Doesn't matter what your political leanings are this is downright scary, America has gone down the rabbit hole of trampling on people's right and politicians are trying to impose their will on those that elected them and oppose them

What we are seeing in the US now is a replay of the McCarthy era red witch-hunts. The biggest difference is that the GOP reined McCarthy in, and then turfed him. There are no such people in the 2020 GOP which is currently ruled by Trump, racism and fear.

Edited by Tracker

Trump Administration Declined Summer Offer To Buy More Of Pfizer’s Vaccine: Reports
The COVID-19 treatment has since been shown to be more than 90% effective. Widespread rollouts of the Pfizer drug begin this week in the U.K. The Trump administration declined an offer from Pfizer to buy more doses of its COVID-19 vaccine at the end of the summer, according to several reports.

Trump Administration Declined Summer Offer To Buy More Of Pfizer’s Vaccine: Reports | HuffPost Canada (huffingtonpost.ca)

On 2020-12-06 at 2:56 PM, iHeart said:

Rudy Juliani was revealed to have a low blood count in hospital tests. He has demanded a re-count.

Florida Police Raid House Of COVID-19 Whistleblower Rebekah Jones

The ousted data scientist has accused the state of asking her to censor and alter public-facing coronavirus data. 

Rebekah Jones, the former Florida official who says she was ousted from her job managing the state’s COVID-19 data for refusing to censor and alter case information, said Monday that armed officers raided her Tallahassee home and took all of her tech hardware.

Jones, who was fired in May from her job in which she led data scientists and public health experts at Florida’s Department of Health, posted a video she captured of the Monday morning incident in which at least four officers entered with a warrant on her computer.

He just pointed a gun at my children,” Jones yells in the footage after telling the officers that her husband and two kids are also in the house. 

12 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Since when is it summer in Singapore, Taiwan, or Vietnam in early December? Or anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere, for that matter.

We're talking SE Asia. Warm & humid. (Summer like). All close to the Equator. People are outdoors. BTW, last time I looked places like Hawaii, Cuba, The Mediteranean, Spain, Portugal, Greece, The Bahamas, Mazatlan, Jamaica & Costa Rica were in the Northeren Hemisphere. All those places have endless summers. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/taiwan/taipei/ext

https://www.accuweather.com/en/vn/ho-chi-minh-city/353981/weather-forecast/353981

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/singapore/singapore/ext

15 Best Beaches In Singapore For A Beach Vacation In 2021

Beach in Singapore.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We're talking SE Asia. Warm & humid. (Summer like). All close to the Equator. People are outdoors. BTW, last time I looked places like Hawaii, Cuba, The Mediteranean, Spain, Portugal, Greece, The Bahamas, Mazatlan, Jamaica & Costa Rica were in the Northeren Hemisphere. All those places have endless summers. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/taiwan/taipei/ext

https://www.accuweather.com/en/vn/ho-chi-minh-city/353981/weather-forecast/353981

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/singapore/singapore/ext

15 Best Beaches In Singapore For A Beach Vacation In 2021

Beach in Singapore.

Indonesia is a SE Asian country that straddles the equator but added over 5K cases yesterday. Malaysia, another SE country, added another 1K cases. The Philippines, another SE Asian country, added over 1K cases. All three of those countries are warmer (and in closer proximity to the equator) than Taiwan.

India, a South Asian country, is second in the world with over 9.7M cases, adding over 6K more yesterday.

Brazil is near the equator and is 4th in the world with over 6.6M cases. Colombia literally straddles the equator and is 10th overall in cases with over 1.3M.

Spain, Portugal, Greece, which are all part of the Mediterranean, have combined for well over 2M total cases. Italy is also a Mediterranean country and has had over 1.7M cases.

Mexico just added another 6K cases yesterday. Despite its climate, it's one of the hardest hit countries.

The three worst states in the US (CA, TX, FL) are all considered warmer climes but have accounted for over 3.5M of the US's total case count. Summer was pretty bad for the US, IIRC.

It's almost like temperature, humidity, and places with "endless summer" have little do with the pandemic or its transmission when you look at the entire picture.

Edited by blue_gold_84

15 hours ago, bustamente said:

When all you have is lies, you attack those that have facts. It's the GOP. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/uk-vaccine-covid-pfizer-biontech-1.5832298

A retired British shop clerk received the first shot in the country's COVID-19 vaccination program Tuesday, signalling the start of a global immunization effort intended to offer a route out of a pandemic that has killed 1.5 million.

Margaret Keenan, who turns 91 next week, got the shot at 6:31 a.m. local time on what public health officials have dubbed V-Day. She was first in line at University Hospital Coventry, one of several hospitals around the country that are handling the initial phase of the United Kingdom's program.

virus-outbreak-britain.jpg

Pretty amazing.

4 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Indonesia is a SE Asian country that straddles the equator but added over 5K cases yesterday. Malaysia, another SE country, added another 1K cases. The Philippines, another SE Asian country, added over 1K cases. All three of those countries are warmer (and in closer proximity to the equator) than Taiwan.

India, a South Asian country, is second in the world with over 9.7M cases, adding over 6K more yesterday.

Brazil is near the equator and is 4th in the world with over 6.6M cases. Colombia literally straddles the equator and is 10th overall in cases with over 1.3M.

Spain, Portugal, Greece, which are all part of the Mediterranean, have combined for well over 2M total cases. Italy is also a Mediterranean country and has had over 1.7M cases.

Mexico just added another 6K cases yesterday. Despite its climate, it's one of the hardest hit countries.

The three worst states in the US (CA, TX, FL) are all considered warmer climes but have accounted for over 3.5M of the US's total case count. Summer was pretty bad for the US, IIRC.

It's almost like temperature, humidity, and places with "endless summer" have little do with the pandemic or its transmission when you look at the entire picture.

That's not what we're being told. We're told that the virus will spread like wildfire once we're indoors from the cold as we can't go outside anymore. 

20 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Bleach on the rocks....