Covid-19

JCon

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I’m not sure what the argument is for in favour of putting the health of economy before health of people with numbers like that.  

I think what we’re seeing is trump (or someone close to him since he’s obviously a brain addled idiot), has figured out that a depression will play worse than the deaths. 

I suspect that Trump and the WH and his minions will only get worse  as we get closer to the campaign revving up, everyday will bring more deflection, outright lies, bullying, taunting and rage tweeting, the economy is going to take a long time to get back up to speed, and with these states opening up with infection numbers still high a spike will crucify Trump and the GOP

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I’m not sure what the argument is for in favour of putting the health of economy before health of people with numbers like that.  

I think what we’re seeing is trump (or someone close to him since he’s obviously a brain addled idiot), has figured out that a depression will play worse than the deaths. 

all he had to run on was the economy. 

8 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I suspect that Trump and the WH and his minions will only get worse  as we get closer to the campaign revving up, everyday will bring more deflection, outright lies, bullying, taunting and rage tweeting, the economy is going to take a long time to get back up to speed, and with these states opening up with infection numbers still high a spike will crucify Trump and the GOP

His next big revelation will be that the pandemic was so unfair and no president has ever had to deal with anything like it so he deserves an extra year before the election. lol

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Try finding a mask anywhere. Everyone is sold out & can't say when the next shipment will arrive. 

I work in hazardous materials health and safety, and a regular part of my job is donning a respirator and hazmat suit, our company has basically told us to be frugal with our filters for the respirators, gloves and suits because finding these things is getting hard. Pallets will come in to the suppliers and be gone instantly. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I work in hazardous materials health and safety, and a regular part of my job is donning a respirator and hazmat suit, our company has basically told us to be frugal with our filters for the respirators, gloves and suits because finding these things is getting hard. Pallets will come in to the suppliers and be gone instantly. 

So, I don't know how governments expect people to wear masks on planes, at the airport, transit buses or trains. Or where people have a tendency to have problems social distancing. When hoarding is going on. We've all seen people wearing masks & I thought okay I'll buy some & start wearing it in public but sure, right... None to be had in Calgary at the places I called. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

33 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Try finding a mask anywhere. Everyone is sold out & can't say when the next shipment will arrive. 

Try Canadian Tire on St. James Street- bought some there yesterday and there were lots.

Who says Trump doesn't have a sense of humour?

New York: 18,909 deaths. México (entire country): 2154 deaths. Really PENDEJO? Really?...

New York: 18,909 deaths. México (entire country): 2154 deaths. Really PENDEJO? Really?...

"The studies have consistently tied unemployment to elevated death rates. A 2011 meta-analysis of international research—published in Social Science & Medicine by David Roelfs, Eran Shor, Karina Davidson, and Joseph Schwartz—found that the risk of death was 63 percent higher during the study periods among those who experienced unemployment than among those who did not, after adjusting for age and other variables."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazine/magazine_article/failing-economy-failing-health/

"Previously declining rates of suicide reversed around the time of the recession. There were an estimated 1000 excess deaths from suicide in the UK between 2008 and 2010. Similar rises occurred in many other countries, especially in Europe and North America. Other research has shown that areas of England experiencing the greatest rises in unemployment experienced the largest increases in the number of suicides."

"It is estimated that for every suicide death in England, approximately 30-40 people will present to hospital following self-harm (mainly suicide attempts). Thus the estimated increase in 1000 suicide deaths (see above) are likely to have been the tip of the iceberg of emotional distress, with possibly 30-40,000 additional suicide attempts during the first three years of the recession. Other research, using data collected in the Health Survey for England and the Multicentre Study of Selfharm in England, shows that after 2008, there was an increase in levels of poor mental health in males, and a rise in numbers of
males presenting at hospital following suicide attempts."

http://www.awp.nhs.uk/media/757861/policyreport-3-suicide-recession.pdf

"The suicide rate accelerated after the onset of the recession. There were an additional 0.51 deaths per 100,000 per year (95 % CI 0•28–0•75) in 2008–10 – an additional 1580 suicides per year (95 % CI 860–2300). A 1 % rise in unemployment is associated with a 0.99 % increase in the suicide rate (95 % CI 0 · 60–1 · 38, p < 0 · 0001)    Examined trends in the total suicide rate before and after the onset of the recession and in relation to unemployment rates."

"Furthermore, a case–control study from Finland found that being unemployed was a heavy predictor of risky behaviours such as driving under the influence of drugs [97]. Cross-sectional data from the USA and Germany also discovered that unemployment was significantly related to alcohol and drug use [98–100]. Additionally, alcohol-attributable deaths rate were determined to be higher among the unemployed population during recession, says an ecological study from South Korea"

"Suicidal behaviours were also linked to unemployment in several studies. A Canadian case control study found that unemployed individuals have a significantly increased risk of parasuicidal behaviour compared to their matched controls [102]. Likewise, in a large cross-national study, being unemployed was discovered to be a strong risk factor for suicidal ideation and attempts [103]. An Australian study also revealed that, in times of recession, unemployed males commit suicide at 4.62 times the rate of employed men and women 8.44 times more compared with employed females [104]. Also in times of recession a Spanish study states that being unemployed was found to be associated with suicidal ideation [105]."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4741013/

"The researchers found that increases in unemployment were associated with increased mortality from all the cancer types included in the study. The association was strongest for treatable cancers, suggesting that lack of access to care may have been a factor in these excess deaths. Also, comparing estimates of expected cancer deaths with actual deaths from 2008-10, they found that the recent global economic crisis was linked with more than 260,000 excess cancer deaths among the 35 member states of the OECD alone."

On a positive note for Canadians however (not so much for our neighbours South) ...

"In countries with UHC—defined in the study as countries that have legislation mandating UHC, more than 90% health care coverage, and more than 90% skilled birth attendance—the link between unemployment and excess cancer deaths disappeared, suggesting that greater access to health care played a key role in mitigating the problem. Twenty-six OECD countries were listed in the study as having UHC, while nine—Barbados, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Mexico, Poland, Russia, the U.S., and Uruguay—did not have it."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-05-global-economic-downturn-linked-excess.html

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

It all makes sense now...

radioactive%20Homer.0.gif

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, I don't know how governments expect people to wear masks on planes, at the airport, transit buses or trains. Or where people have a tendency to have problems social distancing. When hoarding is going on. We've all seen people wearing masks & I thought okay I'll buy some & start wearing it in public but sure, right... None to be had in Calgary at the places I called. 

It's not even hoarding, hospitals are buying a bunch of this stuff where they normally wouldn't.

As far as masks go, you are probably not likely to find an N95 mask, and procedural masks might be out there, but you can always use a home made mask with a decently heavy fabric. I am sure there are some online guidelines for help there. Just keep in mind that wearing a mask does more to protect others from yourself spreading than it does preventing others from spreading to you. 

5 minutes ago, do or die said:

Gin works wonders for the virus, and can be somewhat helpful psychologically.  
Guaranteed to be of the highest quality, uncut, and safe to ingest.  Better tasting and smoother than household disinfectants
I have had years of tremendous results with it - you can too
Think of your loved ones, and don't delay.  Be a truly responsible member of your community.
Contact me for my account # to place your order.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Who says Trump doesn't have a sense of humour?

New York: 18,909 deaths. M&eacute;xico (entire country): 2154 deaths. Really PENDEJO? Really?...

Someone should ask Trump how many times his bigly wall has been breached

Trump admits he was briefed on coronavirus before declaring a “hoax” and jetting off on golf trips

The intelligence briefings “reflected a level of attention comparable to . . . tracking active terrorism threats" 

MAY 4, 2020 3:29PM (UTC)

President Donald Trump admitted that he was briefed about the new coronavirus in January before calling decrying the Democrats' "hoax" and jetting off to golf trips the following weeks.

Trump made the comment ahead of a Bloomberg News report that the intelligence community briefed the president about the virus twice in January. The Washington Post previously reported that intelligence agencies issued warnings in more than a dozen classified briefings to Trump in January and February.

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

President Donald Trump admitted that he was briefed about the new coronavirus in January before calling decrying the Democrats' "hoax" and jetting off to golf trips the following weeks.

And from the same article:

Trump said Sunday night that he was told on Jan. 23 that a virus might be coming but that it wasn’t of much import.
“They said it very matter of factly,” he said during a town hall broadcast on Fox News, adding that the intelligence community would release more information on Monday.

👁‍🗨 And, “matter of factly”, he should be charged with gross negligence, or what will be known, in the future, as trumping the people..