Covid-19

JCon

Article in today's WFP.  I agree with it - MB. government needs to look at what other jurisdictions are doing with reopening schools

The province's decision not to reopen schools in any capacity is being questioned by a child psychologist who says students are falling way behind and may lose a year's worth of learning.

"We’re now going to be talking six months of children out of school," said Jen Theule, an associate professor in school and clinical psychology at the University of Manitoba. "We’re not talking learning loss, we’ll be re-teaching an entire grade."

In-person interactions with teachers and peers are critical in a child’s development, especially for children younger than 10, Theule said.

A mother and expert in children’s mental health and education, she questions why creative ideas for resuming classes are missing from the province's plan.

"The intensity of the presence of a large number of kids in a school makes social distancing all but impossible," Pallister said Wednesday, before noting the end of the year is fast approaching.

He made the comments moments after introducing Manitoba's reopening plan, which includes allowing non-essential businesses to reopen next week.

As far as Theule is concerned, there are safe options, and governments across the globe have tested some of them.

In mid-April, Denmark reopened schools with drastic changes to the pre-pandemic routine: class sizes were reduced, students are only allowed to play in small groups and they are required to wash their hands hourly. Danish school employees must prioritize outdoor learning, prevent parents from entering schools and ramp up sanitation.

In the U.S., President Donald Trump has urged states to reopen schools. In rural Idaho, administrators are mulling asking siblings to sit together on school buses, spaced out from other students.

Closer to home, Quebec plans to reopen elementary schools in two weeks in areas where there have been few COVID-19 cases. Classes will be capped at 15 students and those who live with people with health conditions will be barred from attending. One Vancouver school has already welcomed back students with "exceptionally high learning needs" to receive face-to-face instruction.

Discussion about any such measures in Manitoba have been secretive, if they have taken place at all.

Education Minister Kelvin Goertzen did not agree to an interview this week. Instead, his office provided a general statement that noted the department is working with stakeholders on the file.

The Manitoba Teachers’ Society did not provide comment on the subject either, redirecting a query to a quote from president James Bedford in a prepared release: "The safety of students and of all education staff is of the utmost priority, and teachers are committed to ensuring that our students continue to learn during these uncertain times."

For parents, common concerns include their children's safety and ability to be asymptomatic carriers, as well as the unknown.

"At least if they had more information at this point then they could prepare," said Brenda Brazeau of the Manitoba Association of Parent Councils. A member of a provincial task force on the COVID-19 education response, Brazeau has yet to hear any discussion about what reopening schools could look like.

Meanwhile, Theule said it's important Manitobans start to consider their options.

"We have to acknowledge teachers’ expertise," she said. "The idea that parents could do this is almost amusing. If all parents could do this, we wouldn't have a public school system."

maggie.macintosh@freepress.mb.ca

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

This is a pandemic! That means more people are getting sick than usual. You can't run the healthcare system at pandemic levels all the time. This is why we try and flatten the curve! 

Honestly I think you really don't understand what is going on here.

I'm very comfortable with my perception of what's going on. I'm trying to help you out here. 😉

This Is How Horribly They’re Treating the Dead in Brooklyn

Before police found decomposing bodies in U-Haul trucks outside a Brooklyn funeral home, a mourner saw a horrifying sign it was overwhelmed by the coronavirus pandemic. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/photo-of-andrew-d-cleckley-funeral-home-shows-how-horribly-theyre-treating-the-dead-in-brooklyn

55 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Article in today's WFP.  I agree with it - MB. government needs to look at what other jurisdictions are doing with reopening schools

The province's decision not to reopen schools in any capacity is being questioned by a child psychologist who says students are falling way behind and may lose a year's worth of learning.

"We’re now going to be talking six months of children out of school," said Jen Theule, an associate professor in school and clinical psychology at the University of Manitoba. "We’re not talking learning loss, we’ll be re-teaching an entire grade."

Repeat the year then. FFD; No kids, hate kids :D

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

In-person interactions with teachers and peers are critical in a child’s development, especially for children younger than 10, Theule said.

A mother and expert in children’s mental health and education, she questions why creative ideas for resuming classes are missing from the province's plan.

"The intensity of the presence of a large number of kids in a school makes social distancing all but impossible," Pallister said Wednesday, before noting the end of the year is fast approaching.

He made the comments moments after introducing Manitoba's reopening plan, which includes allowing non-essential businesses to reopen next week.

As far as Theule is concerned, there are safe options, and governments across the globe have tested some of them.

In mid-April, Denmark reopened schools with drastic changes to the pre-pandemic routine: class sizes were reduced, students are only allowed to play in small groups and they are required to wash their hands hourly. Danish school employees must prioritize outdoor learning, prevent parents from entering schools and ramp up sanitation.

In the U.S., President Donald Trump has urged states to reopen schools. In rural Idaho, administrators are mulling asking siblings to sit together on school buses, spaced out from other students.

Closer to home, Quebec plans to reopen elementary schools in two weeks in areas where there have been few COVID-19 cases. Classes will be capped at 15 students and those who live with people with health conditions will be barred from attending. One Vancouver school has already welcomed back students with "exceptionally high learning needs" to receive face-to-face instruction.

Discussion about any such measures in Manitoba have been secretive, if they have taken place at all.

Education Minister Kelvin Goertzen did not agree to an interview this week. Instead, his office provided a general statement that noted the department is working with stakeholders on the file.

The Manitoba Teachers’ Society did not provide comment on the subject either, redirecting a query to a quote from president James Bedford in a prepared release: "The safety of students and of all education staff is of the utmost priority, and teachers are committed to ensuring that our students continue to learn during these uncertain times."

For parents, common concerns include their children's safety and ability to be asymptomatic carriers, as well as the unknown.

"At least if they had more information at this point then they could prepare," said Brenda Brazeau of the Manitoba Association of Parent Councils. A member of a provincial task force on the COVID-19 education response, Brazeau has yet to hear any discussion about what reopening schools could look like.

Meanwhile, Theule said it's important Manitobans start to consider their options.

"We have to acknowledge teachers’ expertise," she said. "The idea that parents could do this is almost amusing. If all parents could do this, we wouldn't have a public school system."

I'm not as concerned about the kids learning as I am about the kids creating a giant petri dish at school and bringing God-only-knows-what home, and then it spreads like tinder fire. If we can keep everyone locked away and keep things from spreading, that is far more of a concern to me. But, I say that as someone who (thank Christ....) doesn't have kids at home.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I'm not as concerned about the kids learning as I am about the kids creating a giant petri dish at school and bringing God-only-knows-what home, and then it spreads like tinder fire. If we can keep everyone locked away and keep things from spreading, that is far more of a concern to me. But, I say that as someone who (thank Christ....) doesn't have kids at home.

Its an interesting discussion.  I dont have kids but nieces/nephews.  One is graduating this year.  He's likely not going to University but a close friend is a High School Principal and was very concerned over those graduates being terribly unprepared.  I think they definitely need to offer prep classes as soon as they can.  Students going to University will want to take them.

For other kids, one 16 year old I know does a lot of school work now.  Her school prepared very well and they still interact with students.  She still has papers and tests to write.  She has to do work and her parents are fully aware.  She told me that her report card was sent when this started and she cant get a lower grade but she can get a higher grade.  The gf of nephew goes to a small town school and apparently they have little to no work to do.

So it seems to be an issue from school to school or division to division.  

Would the answer be to open schools in August for a month?  Kids arent losing a year.  They were sent home about two weeks or so into the semester.  So its, what 3 months?  Im not sure there will be an appetite among parents to have kids spend July & August in classrooms.

fwiw, Alberta is talking about opening up this summer for some classes, but they're going to work with the school boards now to formulate a plan as to what that might look like, exactly. But it's something they're at least willing to consider, if numbers stay relatively low.

22 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Would the answer be to open schools in August for a month?  Kids arent losing a year.  They were sent home about two weeks or so into the semester.  So its, what 3 months?  Im not sure there will be an appetite among parents to have kids spend July & August in classrooms.

Opening in August would be against the Public Schools Act.  They would need to be able to justify it as a temporary emergency measure.  Pallister stated when schools first closed, that they have no plans for opening school during summer break.  In my opinion, it would be a poor plan for most students, kids just do not learn very well at that time of year.  Now, University prep classes for grade 12 graduates in July and August, that could be doable.  And I believe the U of W collegiate already does that. 

13 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Opening in August would be against the Public Schools Act.  They would need to be able to justify it as a temporary emergency measure.  Pallister stated when schools first closed, that they have no plans for opening school during summer break.  In my opinion, it would be a poor plan for most students, kids just do not learn very well at that time of year.  Now, University prep classes for grade 12 graduates in July and August, that could be doable.  And I believe the U of W collegiate already does that. 

Are those paid Prep courses?  Im thinking government will have to cover the cost.  I dont know anything other then my buddy saying any kids taking courses they need for University just wont do well without it.

I honestly think we can handle a lost semester for most students without being the end of the world although I'd be curious to know the success/failure of schooling from home.  It would be a shame if some students had fewer options due to lack of prep by the schools or school boards.

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

You can't open schools yet. You live in the country. On a Hutterite colony with wide open spaces. Not in the city with a thousand school buses chugging along with 60 students in each bus twice a day. No way to social distance & close quarters to sit for drivers & students. The virus would spread like wildfire on a school bus & given to family members, teachers & school bus drivers like myself if just one or 2 kids are sick.

Try telling a kinder or Grade 1 to keep his mask on if he's been wearing it all day. After a few hours with saliva, food particles, sweat, milk, pop stains, snot & whatever else there would be  on those masks just how effective & safe are they? Probably not very.  As a driver I'm very concerned for my health. Kids will be taking their masks off. It'd be next to impossible to enforce. I can't drive & watch every kid in my rear view mirror on a 40 foot bus completely all the time.

You also know that there are parents that don't care about anyone else & would send their kids to school sick thus infecting others. Now maybe students temperatures would be checked when they got to school but not on a school bus where they actually should be tested before they get on. Parents drop their kids off at their stop & leave so we can't deny a sick kid a ride as they'd be stranded. There is no way to check for anything. We have to take everyone whether they are sick or not.  as a driver, I can't deny any student a ride.

Truthfully, the child psychologist can go to Hell as he sits safely in his office miles from the nearest school prescribing theoretical answers to theoretical problems.  The problem with theories are that they don't encompass real life & real life problems. As a driver, I want to be safe & for my family to be safe. So opening schools now or in 2 weeks? If they do that then thousands of drivers will quit in different provincial jurisdictions as most are high risks in their 50's, 60's & some into their 70's.  There will be a shortage of buses on the road with not enough drivers. I can't even see schools being open in September.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

fwiw, Alberta is talking about opening up this summer for some classes, but they're going to work with the school boards now to formulate a plan as to what that might look like, exactly. But it's something they're at least willing to consider, if numbers stay relatively low.

The numbers today out of Alberta are downright scary. How any sane politician can advocate re-opening the province in any measure is criminal.

Fauci has been wrong, a lot. Jan. 21st he said there was nothing to worry about, go enjoy the Superbowl. Feb, 17th he said don't worry, the threat is "minuscule" and to worry about "the flu".  Then he turned around and predicted what? 240,000 deaths! By April he said to lock-down the country until there are no more deaths. Well, they didn't need 135,000 hospital beds but there's what, 20 or 30 million American without jobs?

Meh, take a seat. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. He can take Birx with him.

7 minutes ago, J5V said:

Fauci has been wrong, a lot. Jan. 21st he said there was nothing to worry about, go enjoy the Superbowl. Feb, 17th he said don't worry, the threat is "minuscule" and to worry about "the flu".  Then he turned around and predicted what? 240,000 deaths! By April he said to lock-down the country until there are no more deaths. Well, they didn't need 135,000 hospital beds but there's what, 20 or 30 million American without jobs?

Meh, take a seat. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. He can take Birx with him.

Your empathy is palpable. Fauci has been wrong a lot? Compared to Trump and his son in law? The chances of your home being burned down is small, yet you have house insurance, I would bet. The diminished body count is due to whatever measures have been put in place and obeyed, as poor as the response has been in the US. Lets see what the outcome is when the GOP governors relax the restrictions. At last count 30 fundamentalist ministers have died when they refused to curtail services, and God knows now many parishioners. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Are those paid Prep courses?  Im thinking government will have to cover the cost.  I dont know anything other then my buddy saying any kids taking courses they need for University just wont do well without it.

I honestly think we can handle a lost semester for most students without being the end of the world although I'd be curious to know the success/failure of schooling from home.  It would be a shame if some students had fewer options due to lack of prep by the schools or school boards.

I believe the U of W collegiate is considered part of the K - 12 system, except for those students who can count the remedial course(s) as part of their degree.  Some degrees allow Highschool level pre-calc as a credit, for example. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Truthfully, the child psychologist can go to Hell as he sits safely in his office miles from the nearest school prescribing theoretical answers to theoretical problems.  The problem with theories are that they don't encompass real life & real life problems. As a driver, I want to be safe & for my family to be safe. So opening schools now or in 2 weeks? If they do that then thousands of drivers will quit in different provincial jurisdictions as most are high risks in their 50's, 60's & some into their 70's.  There will be a shortage of buses on the road with not enough drivers. I can't even see schools being open in September.

1. She’s a woman.

2. You are assuming schools would open exactly the way they were when they closed. 

3. It could be something like teachers being able to take small groups of students for tutoring.  Of half the class comes one day, the second half the next day.

4. Maybe more parents could drive kids.  All things considered, many will probably choose to.

5. Finally, they are going to allow businesses to run camps for the children of employees, up to 30 kids per camp.  In that case, they may as well open schools with some restrictions. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I believe the U of W collegiate is considered part of the K - 12 system, except for those students who can count the remedial course(s) as part of their degree.  Some degrees allow Highschool level pre-calc as a credit, for example. 

Yes, the Collegiate is part of the school system. It's considered a private school or is treated as such. 

The prep courses are paid prep courses and not part of the curriculum. 

The Universities would be devastated if you push a cohort back a year. Even a a half year is not doable.