2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

13 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I read from somewhere saying that Chris Judge was the "steal" of the 2019 draft for the Riders. 

He's almost 30...  but since its the Riders, he'll probably play until he's 38 so maybe...

Pretty sure Jamel Lyles is the 'steal' of 7th round draft picks though... 

Man, I feel for this dude.

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/collaros-finds-himself-at-career-crossroads-1.1313327

I think he is done though... 

"I feel like I’m behind the eight ball. I want to be the guy, I want to get to that point,” Collaros said. “But I feel like the last three years has kind of stunted my intellectual growth in sports because I haven’t learned anything. I’ve learned a lot about myself.

“There’s a lot of self-doubt that creeps into your mind and I think I’ve learned about myself that I can have a goal, there will be some self-doubt, but ultimately I’m strong enough in my mind to overcome those things and understand that if I trust the right people, I’m a strong person and I can work my way back from those kinds of things.”

On 2019-05-29 at 8:42 AM, Mr Dee said:

Ed Hervey - 

Following Sunday’s 22-7 pre-season loss to his former team, the B.C. Lions GM was approached by Eskimos receiver Kenny Stafford, whom Hervey originally brought to Edmonton in a trade back in 2015.

Stafford flashed a big smile and extended a hand of gratitude in the true spirit of Once an Eskimo, Always an Eskimo.

Instead of warmth, however, Hervey pulled back, put both hands in front of his own face, turned his head away as if unwelcomely crossing paths with an ex and walked away without uttering a word.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/the-ex-eskimo-way-former-gm-ed-hervey-turns-handshake-into-cold-shoulder#click=https://t.co/wbbvprnuVb 

Can you imagine?

Thank goodness we don’t have that Hervey putz.

This sounds like Hervey was kidding with him, not that he was being a jerk.

4 minutes ago, MC said:

This sounds like Hervey was kidding with him, not that he was being a jerk.

Generally when you are joking like this though, you come out and say it....like "ah man I'm just playing! lol" and then shake the guys had or whatever....Ed didn't do that...just walked away. Odd joke, especially when Stafford was asked about it and he certainly didn't seem like he was in on the joke.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Generally when you are joking like this though, you come out and say it....like "ah man I'm just playing! lol" and then shake the guys had or whatever....Ed didn't do that...just walked away. Odd joke, especially when Stafford was asked about it and he certainly didn't seem like he was in on the joke.

The interview with Stafford definitely didn't sound like it was good natured.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

"I feel like I’m behind the eight ball. I want to be the guy, I want to get to that point,” Collaros said. “But I feel like the last three years has kind of stunted my intellectual growth in sports because I haven’t learned anything. I’ve learned a lot about myself.

“There’s a lot of self-doubt that creeps into your mind and I think I’ve learned about myself that I can have a goal, there will be some self-doubt, but ultimately I’m strong enough in my mind to overcome those things and understand that if I trust the right people, I’m a strong person and I can work my way back from those kinds of things.”

Yup. Sounds like he is screwed in the head. Can't accuse him of wimping out, though- he had to play behind some horrible 0-linemen and has taken a helluva beating. At some point every athlete and some non-athletes have to admit that they're done or become a pathetic spectacle.

"He participated in some practice before Saskatchewan’s home playoff game against Winnipeg two weeks later, but knew he would be unable to play – even as the team tried to keep it a secret."

But I thought the saviour of the Riders and the league sacrificed his team for the good health and future of this young man... despite medical clearance... in a very selfless and heroic move... there's no possible way we could've been intentionally lead astray by media and fans from the rectangle?!?

Sounds like he is still in the process of trying to convince himself........

I would hope he didn't get too big of a confidence boost in the fact that the Riders "opted" to bring him back...they did all they could to land several others, so were relegated to bringing him back or start season with a nobody.

If the season doesn't start well for him/them...and or he gets belted around good a few times in first few games...he will be toast..mentally and physically...

A

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

If the season doesn't start well for him/them...and or he gets belted around good a few times in first few games...he will be toast..mentally and physically...

And I feel like if that happens it may be the last we see of him. He will slowly fade into the sunset exactly like Drew Willy has. 

14 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Sounds(reads) like he is already done mentally. At this point of the year, you want your QB 100% confident in their abilities. Not talking about getting that back.

Reminds me of a Paul Kariya interview I heard in the later years of his NHL career, full of questions and doubt.

3 hours ago, Firekid said:

A

And I feel like if that happens it may be the last we see of him. He will slowly fade into the sunset exactly like Drew Willy has. 

Who is this "Drew Willy" you refer to?? :) Just kidding but I do agree with your statement and I really don't like the OL that the Riders will be trying to protect him with.

39 minutes ago, BBRT said:

Who is this "Drew Willy" you refer to?? :) Just kidding but I do agree with your statement and I really don't like the OL that the Riders will be trying to protect him with.

I always thought the "Drew Willy" was the past tense of sketching a male anatomical part.

2 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Idk. Pierce was a warrior to the end. He wore his heart on his sleeve and had to be forced into retirement due to injury. I dont think I ever heard him say he was not mentally in the game. 

Fair enough.

I meant more so that a guy refuses to see the health implications of continuing to play.

He gets concussions from pretty inocuous looking plays (relatively)