2019 CFL Season: Around the League

Mr Dee

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't get this mindset about pre season being shitty. As someone that follows the daily camp reports religiously, being able to see/hear their actual GAME reps is still very interesting. 

We adopted that mindset when the Mack teams were consistently getting destroyed in pre-season... but it didn't 'matter'

STEINBERG’S MMQB: NINE PLAYERS TO WATCH IN 2019

1) Winnipeg Blue Bombers: Chris Streveler

A lot of Bombers fans are excited about Streveler’s ceiling if given the opportunity to start games regularly. While I don’t think Matt Nichols is in immediate danger of losing his spot atop the depth chart, Streveler has shown enough to give Head Coach Mike O’Shea an option if his incumbent struggles. Even without a changing of the guard, Streveler will get plenty of action in 2019, as Winnipeg uses him in a unique “change of pace” fashion in short yardage and beyond.

2) Hamilton Tiger-Cats: Brandon Banks

It has been quite the rapid evolution from Banks over the last few years. From a talented returner used sparingly in Hamilton’s offence, Banks exploded as the league’s most dominant receiver in 2018 under June Jones. Banks has two things to prove this season, though. First, he’s out to confirm his status as an elite receiver without Jones as offensive coordinator. And, after suffering a broken clavicle in Week 19, Banks also wants to confirm he’s none the worse for wear.

3) Edmonton Eskimos: Larry Dean

With the retirement of longtime middle linebacker J.C. Sherritt over the off-season, Dean has enormous shoes to fill. Much like they did in replacing Mike Reilly with Trevor Harris, the Esks have once again filled a hole as good as you possibly can in free agency by signing Dean. Over his three CFL seasons with Hamilton, Dean has established himself as an elite MIKE linebacker culminating in 105 tackles last season, good for third in the league. As such, fans in Edmonton won’t notice much going from Sherritt to Dean.

4) Toronto Argonauts: James Franklin

Franklin might top my list of most interesting players to watch on any team this season. Yes, 2018 didn’t go as planned for Franklin in his first opportunity to start regularly, but that wasn’t an ideal circumstance. This season sees Franklin installed as Toronto’s starter from the start of camp, which is a much different scenario than unexpectedly taking over from Ricky Ray early on. Franklin finished 2018 strong and also led the league with 14 rushing touchdowns, so this season shapes up to be fascinating.

5) Calgary Stampeders: Reggie Begelton

When Begelton got the opportunity to start games at receiver last season, the guy absolutely went off. After Kamar Jorden suffered a season-ending injury in Week 12, Begelton stepped in and ensured Calgary’s offence didn’t miss a beat. Unforunately, Begelton suffered a season-ending injury of his own in Week 16, but he’ll be starting from the get-go this season, which could lead to some big time production.

6) Montreal Alouettes: Ciante Evans

Due to a stint in the AAF, the Alouettes added Evans very late in free agency, but they’ve landed a bona fide stud in their defensive backfield. Montreal has a lot of questions entering 2019, but uniting Evans and Tommie Campbell is still a massive coup. The pair were dominant together in Calgary and could give the Als the best lockdown corner duo in the CFL in 2019.

7) BC Lions: Duron Carter

We’ve known for years Carter is one of the league’s most talented receivers. Partly of his own doing and partly due to circumstance, though, Carter has never put it all together for a truly dominant season. Joining Mike Reilly in BC for this season, though, presents Carter with the best opportunity he’s ever had to do just that. If Carter can stay healthy, I see a career year ahead.

😎 Ottawa REDBLACKS: Brad Sinopoli

It’s not a stretch to say Sinopli is the one impact playmaker the REDBLACKS did not lose this off-season. As such, Sinopoli is going to be more in the spotlight than he’s ever been entering his ninth CFL season. Ottawa’s quarterback situation is very much up in the air and they’re without a multitude of proven targets at receiver. That’s why Sinopoli will need to be at his consistent and dominant self over the middle in 2019.

9) Saskatchewan Roughriders: Solomon Elimimian

I know he missed the majority of 2018 due to injury and I know he ended up being released by the Lions, but that doesn’t mean Elimimian isn’t still an elite linebacker. Remember, BC released the four-time league all-star for salary cap reasons, not for performance issues. With an opportunity to fit him in, the Riders pounced a week later and it was the right choice. Elimimian was on pace for another 100-plus tackle season in 2018, which would have been his third straight. I think he can still play.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/27/steinbergs-mmqb-nine-players-watch-2019/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

21 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Pederson and Co still have him down as the MOP front runner.

I was listening to Derek Taylor on TSN Radio this morning and boy the green kool aid has hit him hard.   The guy wasn't sure where to rank the Bombers in the West and that they could be anywhere from First to Fifth.   He made it seem like the lost of Santos Knox was a massive deal and that he's not sure about our receivers after Matthews, Adams and Demski?  

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I was listening to Derek Taylor on TSN Radio this morning and boy the green kool aid has hit him hard.   The guy wasn't sure where to rank the Bombers in the West and that they could be anywhere from First to Fifth.   He made it seem like the lost of Santos Knox was a massive deal and that he's not sure about our receivers after Matthews, Adams and Demski?  

maybe a dung truck is parked on his front while he’s on 1290.

20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Perhaps a seed from his watermelon helmet lodged into his head and damaged his rational thinking receptors?

On 2019-05-26 at 4:55 PM, Noeller said:

Heard on the Esks/Lions radiocast: former Bombers prospect Justin (?) Apodaca (aka Apldap) is with the Leo's looking for regular work... 

This was reported a week and a half ago wake the **** up idiot!

On 2019-05-14 at 8:54 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I see BC brought in QB Austin Apodaca, a Bomber TC cut from 2017 who looked fairly promising.  

Also looks like they lost Ty Long to the L.A. Chargers, so they'll be heading into camp with no experienced kickers unless they pick up the Riders recent table scraps.

On 2019-05-26 at 8:35 PM, Noeller said:

I'll be honest, the lack of Hardrick, Neufeld and Foketi right now is concerning to me, but hopefully things look better by Game 1...

Last time we had a vet NI ol banged up and not practicing in camp but were told not to worry, he didn't end up dressing all season. 

Imo, I expected Hardrick will be fine. I think we are just being very cautious because we don't have imp ot depth, especially with foketi MIA.

Neufeld I don't see him needing a lot of guard reps. But he's a guy who has had some injury issues in the past. As is he's the weak link in our projected starting group imo. 

Foketi is a tough one. The fact he has been on the PR here soo long and now isn't in camp but hasn't been cut tells me he hasn't just flown the coop. Hope everything is well with him. At the same time, does he need the reps? Imo yeah he does. While he has been the extra man for a long time, he hasn't been a go-to before. 

IMO the OL is will probably end up being Bryant, gray, couture, Neufeld and Hardrick. But with Neufeld having a lot of questions about health and shape. Desjarlais probably the 6th OL and Eli on the IR or 2 man active list. We could easily see some changes to the OL into the first few weeks of the season.