How to beat Calgary Saturday

BigBlue

After wading through 13 pages of the "Sky is falling" (the Mat Nichols thread) and more of the same on the LaPolice thread, I saw a lot of grumbling and nonsensical blather. The " what a difference one game makes" sort of said it all in terms of a frustrated board of posters. But now that we have got that out of our system, let;s look at what we can do to be positive and to put our team in a position to win.

It is possible to beat Calgary if we get a couple of non-offensive TDs like the Roughies were gifted at perfect times. Note too Regina replied to Calgary's attempted come back with more scoring of their own to really put them in their place,

Assume that Lankford & Folketti start and that Chandler Fenner plays most of the gane

What would you do as head coach/OC/DC to give  the Bombers their best chance of winning?

As somebody else posted, Sask got a pick for a td, and a blocked punt for a td.

Probably need to duplicate that to win.

It can be done.Bombers have a lot of turnovers this season.

Bo looked pretty beatable first half of Sask win. If you look at the highlights, there was no pressure on him on the pick six. Just a terrible throw.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

The front 4 has to get pressure on BLM. If that doesn’t happen, based on the games this year, the entire team is doomed. 

What's Calgary's oline like? We've got a very good front seven and if we do pressure BLM a ton then we should be able to match some of the success the Riders had last week.

If I were HC, I would have the offence score as many points as possible.  At the same time, I would have the defense  do everything possible to limit the  scoring by the other team.  I'd stress that if we can score more points than them over the course of the game, we stand a good chance of winning.

Hall has to let Bighill play as a real MLB and not over blitz him...  BLM is mortal now but Hall can't let him get rolling - don't give him too much respect

Singleton is a monster - I'd run some two back sets early and try to get Calgary second guessing - get Demski in the game - make him the primary target, maybe a long ball to Adams early too

If Calgary eliminates the run, it will be a long day...  if Harris lifts the team on his back, will be a very close game

Need at least one big ST gamechanger - I think I'd try Demski or Thompkins as a returner this game as well

55 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

If I were HC, I would have the offence score as many points as possible.  At the same time, I would have the defense  do everything possible to limit the  scoring by the other team.  I'd stress that if we can score more points than them over the course of the game, we stand a good chance of winning.

You may have a solid point there! Maybe just Maybe if we score more points then they do we might win (or maybe not). Seriously I think the Stamps will be out for blood and if we have any chance of survival we need to make it past the first quarter with at least the lead or within a few points. However and this is my major However - any Richie Hall defense will be destroyed by a good team like Calgary. The Regina game was an abnormality IMHO. 

Offensively, I want to see us confuse Calgary’s D a little bit. I want to see more mixture in the packages that we show their D. 

I’m not suggesting we lose track of using Harris, but I don’t want them to know when he’s getting the ball. Guessing, I want to see them guessing when he gets it.

I want us to come out early and use all our receivers when it is appropriate. Yes, all our receivers, including Harris. Make it an issue. This will open up the running game for Harris, and even Demski, and that fly route they love so much.

LaPolice has got all the tricks in his bag, but he shouldn’t limit himself to a certain set of plays when, I think, this offence can be more dynamic. And that includes using guys like Wolitarsky, Petermann, and, if we have to..Lankford.

Go from side to side, open up the middle, make Singleton go where you want him to go and exploit that.

We’d be an even better team on offence if we’d be able to use a more versatile package. 

Mr. LaPolice, it’s your move...

How about playing a disciplined game! Those penalties are costing us big time. Not much sense in playing lights out when we give it all back on penalties.  BLM can kill you if he has time so the front four will have to help the DB's by rattling him.  

Good Luck Blue Bombers!    Show us your good stuff.

Got back from the USA, and just watched the Ottawa abortion.

So for Saturday....need to:

1.  Show up
2.  Must get pass rush from base 4
3.  Return of Grade A Nichols
4.  Get back to spreading the ball round on O
5.  Lay off the dumb penalties
6.  Bench Fogg, forget about Lankford - get our best team out on the field

3 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Really going out on a limb there.

This ought to be real simple: A) Do NOT let Calgary get a 10+ point lead- that would be fatal  B) Nichols and the offence  has to have ZERO turnovers C) Nichols has to have his best game of the season D) the defence has to keep Calgary's offence  to under 30 points and less than 35 minutes of possession E) No huge kick returns

And I still believe in the Easter Bunny

1 hour ago, do or die said:

Got back from the USA, and just watched the Ottawa abortion.

So for Saturday....need to:

1.  Show up
2.  Must get pass rush from base 4
3.  Return of Grade A Nichols
4.  Get back to spreading the ball round on O
5.  Lay off the dumb penalties
6.  Bench Fogg, forget about Lankford - get our best team out on the field

He was by far the worst player that night