When does the bowman experiment end? (Bowman traded to Montreal)

wbbfan

2 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

you mean like throwing to him once, and then avoiding the rest of the game because he dropped one?  or when you finally do go to him, throw it well behind and low so he has to go to the turf to actually catch it.... if Nichols could hit someone in stride instead of standing still or coming back to the ball, maybe the passing game would be more effective!

Or maybe not throwing to him cuz hes not open and gives up on his routes early? 

49 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Or maybe not throwing to him cuz hes not open and gives up on his routes early? 

I can't say with honesty that I've been watching every play that closely, but if you have, hey, good on ya bud.... really though, if that is the case, it's because he knows he's not getting the ball thus giving a half-assed effort.... at that point, time to shake hands and part ways.  I think this was best case for both sides at this point.

At this stage we still cannot be sure 100% that the lack of productivity from Bowman was due to Bowman. In the offence that Lapo has been running they really don't target Bowman very much or send him down field more than 10 yards very often, and the same is true of Wolitarsky. That offence is more about sending out 3 or 4 running backs and/or short yardage receivers on every play. Harris and Demski get the ball 80% of the time and the only one going down field more than 10 yards is Adams, who they only target every once in a while as the token long ball attempt. This has its pros and cons in my opinion, but apparently, the majority of teams in the league still have trouble stopping it, and as long as its effective, it is all good.

Regardless of the reason for lack of productivity, it is not a bad move to drop Bowman to save cap space, although I will point out that this reflects poorly on the off season efforts, and is another knock on Walters to go along with the Faith Ekakitie and Addison Richards debacles. I will still maintain my comments from before the start of this season that the verdict is still out on what Walters has been doing over the last 2 years. Are we on track to move forward, or regress? I think that will be decided over the next 8 weeks.

It will be interesting to see if Kenbrell Thompkins has any better production than Bowman when he is inserted. If not, I'm more inclined to think that the lack of productivity at that position is by design in the Lapo offence, and not a shortcoming on any given player. If so, effectively two of the receivers are being used as decoys and blockers, not targets, which is pretty weird to see at the pro level.

You forgot to mention the lack of production from Bowman when he is targeted due to him dropping the ball..... Wolitarsky may not get many targets but at least when he does he catches the ball. And that my friend is the bottom line on why Bowman was moved for a bag of used footballs. 

Bowman was done here the second he gave up on a pass in the endzone against BC. When he came out and dropped the first pass he saw against Toronto with no one around him and the ball right in his hands that just cemented it. Guy was always massively overrated and now appears he really has lost a step so why keep wasting time with him when we got guys who showed potential waiting for a chance to get in? 

On 2018-07-23 at 2:37 PM, Dr Zaius said:

Haven't been a fan of Bowman, but this isn't a win for us. A conditional 8th? Lol

HAS to be cap-related 

Sheesh! Between Bowman and Durant how much money have we wasted this year? Both gone and so is the money. Oh well, on a positive note, we're playing the Argos again.

On 2018-07-25 at 10:47 AM, TheSource said:

At this stage we still cannot be sure 100% that the lack of productivity from Bowman was due to Bowman. In the offence that Lapo has been running they really don't target Bowman very much or send him down field more than 10 yards very often, and the same is true of Wolitarsky. That offence is more about sending out 3 or 4 running backs and/or short yardage receivers on every play. Harris and Demski get the ball 80% of the time and the only one going down field more than 10 yards is Adams, who they only target every once in a while as the token long ball attempt. This has its pros and cons in my opinion, but apparently, the majority of teams in the league still have trouble stopping it, and as long as its effective, it is all good.

Regardless of the reason for lack of productivity, it is not a bad move to drop Bowman to save cap space, although I will point out that this reflects poorly on the off season efforts, and is another knock on Walters to go along with the Faith Ekakitie and Addison Richards debacles. I will still maintain my comments from before the start of this season that the verdict is still out on what Walters has been doing over the last 2 years. Are we on track to move forward, or regress? I think that will be decided over the next 8 weeks.

It will be interesting to see if Kenbrell Thompkins has any better production than Bowman when he is inserted. If not, I'm more inclined to think that the lack of productivity at that position is by design in the Lapo offence, and not a shortcoming on any given player. If so, effectively two of the receivers are being used as decoys and blockers, not targets, which is pretty weird to see at the pro level.

If the plan was not to target Bowman then why grab him in the first place and over pay for him? Makes no sense. I'm sure Walters talks these types of moves over with Lapolice before pulling the trigger. Lapo must have wanted him for some reason and you can't hang that on Walters. I don't expect Walters to bat 1000. All great hitters strike out sometimes.

He wanted him because hes a big target who used to be reliable and able to get open.

This year and last, not so much.  so we moved on.  not quite sure why people are so up in arms about it.  it didnt work out.  oh well.. next man up.  its not like we were losing games because of him or our offense.

Bomber fans gonna bomber fan I suppose

24 minutes ago, J5V said:

Sheesh! Between Bowman and Durant how much money have we wasted this year? Both gone and so is the money. Oh well, on a positive note, we're playing the Argos again.

Ya it's really frustrating that Walters can't see into the future like all the other GMs.  It makes me mad when he spends money trying to make this team better.  I want to go back to the good old days where we didn't try so hard and were happy raiding the scrapheaps of other teams.  I mean, come on, look at all the success we had when we did that!

28 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

He wanted him because hes a big target who used to be reliable and able to get open.

This year and last, not so much.  so we moved on.  not quite sure why people are so up in arms about it.  it didnt work out.  oh well.. next man up.  its not like we were losing games because of him or our offense.

Bomber fans gonna bomber fan I suppose

This forum always needs a whipping boy. I'm curious who's up next, anybody want to make a pool? I'm thinking Simonize

16 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Ya it's really frustrating that Walters can't see into the future like all the other GMs.  It makes me mad when he spends money trying to make this team better.  I want to go back to the good old days where we didn't try so hard and were happy raiding the scrapheaps of other teams.  I mean, come on, look at all the success we had when we did that!

Wasn't taking Bowman a kind of a raid of a scrap heap ? ........

On 2018-07-27 at 6:15 PM, WBBFanWest said:

Neither Durant nor Bowman made this team better. Not sure what Walters saw in either but the scrapheap is exactly where he should have left them. 

1 minute ago, J5V said:

Neither Durant nor Bowman made this team better. Not sure what Walters saw in either but the scrapheap is exactly where he should have left them. 

Revisionist thinking > best thinking.  As I recall, there were a lot of people that were happy that signing Durant gave us a veteran backup.  I also remember how dismayed people were when he suddenly took off with the money.  Funny that.

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Wasn't taking Bowman a kind of a raid of a scrap heap ? ........

No.  I seem to recall a lot of excitement around here when his signing was announced.

Yes, it's too bad that they money was wasted, but that's not the fault of Walters.  That's just bad luck.

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

No.  I seem to recall a lot of excitement around here when his signing was announced.

Yes, it's too bad that they money was wasted, but that's not the fault of Walters.  That's just bad luck.

It must have just been me then that didn't want him in blue An gold........I bet people were hoping a much younger version of bowman was gonna show up...... 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I'd assume $150 000 which isn't bad IMO.    Bowman came cheap and we would of had to pay someone else anyways for his spot on the roster so he wasn't that much of a waste.   

It's not like other teams haven't burned money on guys who did nothing.   Look at the Riders starting QB and how much he contributed....

15 hours ago, yogi said:

This forum always needs a whipping boy. I'm curious who's up next, anybody want to make a pool? I'm thinking Simonize

Very profound, wonder why you would pull name name out like his? A guy who every time he's had a chance to make a play has stepped up.

Bowman is done and why does it matter to you guys how the money is spent? Didn't realize anybody on this forum was paying the cheques? He got paid his signing bonus and a bit more and it didn't work out, hilarious that you guys expect a gm to be perfect.

Kenbrell Thompkins is going to be a big name in the CFL just like I predicted in TC.

Edited by Gotmilt

2 hours ago, do or die said:

No more bunk about how we just couldn't incorporate Bowman into our O, please.  New guy at R, almost matched Bowman's season production....in his first half, in the CFL.

Thompkins looked great. Seems to have instant chemistry with nichols too. I was hoping to see more petermann mixed in but if thompkins keeps it up he is gonna be tough to take off the field.